ACL rupture and pedals

Mar 2004

ACL rupture and pedals

Any recommendations re pedals for post op ACL rupture. I tore my ACL skiing a year ago and finally got it repaired. Used Look pedals with red arc cleats to ride over summer with some soreness to knee but not too bad. Anyone with a physio or physical therapy background have any suggestions about which pedals to use or is it a matter of what doesn't hurt when ride. Was considering TIme IMpact.

Thanks in advance

BS the DC
    Bicycling is one of the best things you can do for ACL repair rehab. You should be OK in almost any pedal system if it is set up correctly. If you had some other knee disorders, your pedal choice might be more critical. That being said, I think Time Impact pedals are the best for taking care of knees. In addition to free rotation, they allow for a little side to side gliding. This allows for the greatest freedom of motion of your knees. Good luck!
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

speedplays

[QUOTE=tpc0508]Any recommendations re pedals for post op ACL rupture. I tore my ACL skiing a year ago and finally got it repaired. Used Look pedals with red arc cleats to ride over summer with some soreness to knee but not too bad. Anyone with a physio or physical therapy background have any suggestions about which pedals to use or is it a matter of what doesn't hurt when ride. Was considering TIme IMpact.

Thanks in advance[/QUO

I think you might want to look at the speedplays. I bought a pair with my first roadbike and they are so easy to get in and out of, and you can place your feet in, in different angles. You might want to post on the general discussion board, as you will probably get more opinions.

Paul

Off the back

I rehabed mine in LOOK black cleats in 1990

Quote Originally Posted by tpc0508
    Any recommendations re pedals for post op ACL rupture. I tore my ACL skiing a year ago and finally got it repaired. Used Look pedals with red arc cleats to ride over summer with some soreness to knee but not too bad. Anyone with a physio or physical therapy background have any suggestions about which pedals to use or is it a matter of what doesn't hurt when ride. Was considering TIme IMpact.

Thanks in advance
    Makes you a spinner. DON'T MASH whatever you do! Think rpm to keep the pressure and forces down.

It'll heal. Do your PT; that's what will help the most (stair calf raises, leg curls, hamstring curls, etc.). Mine was a partial tear, was your's replacement or stich back together? I think replacement is much more invasive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

speedplays

I've had three knee surgeries, including an ACL reconstruction, and I've found that speedplays work the best for me. Some people don't like the free float, and admittedly it took some getting used to, but I'll never ride with anything else. With any other pedal, I had a very hard time finding the right angle for my cleats, and my legs seemed to change how they wanted to sit depending on my fatigue level. I felt I was always fighting against the pedal. That's never a problem with speedplays. My feet go where they want to go, and my knees don't have to fight the tension in the pedal. I'm sure someone will say that I just didn't have them set up correctly, but I think that the ideal position changes day to day depending on a variety of factors. Perfectly healthy knees can handle the changes without too much trouble, but weaker knees don't do as well. So there really is no way to set up minimal float pedals perfectly, and most pedals have tension in the float anyway.

Apr 2002

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tpc0508

Thanks in advance
    Well, I have no physio background (except on the receiving end) but I did have ACL reconstruction 8 weeks ago.

I began with platform pedals indoors after a few days, and then outdoors after 2 weeks. Obviously I couldn't stand them, so I put my Campy Profits back on at the 3 week mark(on the loosest setting) and have had no troubles. Although I have had soreness, I attribute it to the surgery itself and not the pedals. Your Looks are probably fine.

I have (mostly) been good in terms of doing all the physio and have constantly cycled more than my PT said I should (although still not that much until recently). Last week (7 weeks post-op) I did 2 rides of 100+km, 1 with lots of climbing, and all was well. This weekend will be my first race of the season.

My thoughts are that you will be fine as long as you ice your knee often, rest it (elevate) as much as you can, stretch lots, and pay attention to how it feels. I don't think the pedals will really matter. Just don't crash! Oh, and stay away from work as long as possible. ;-)