Almost ran over someone's head- a race report
    flinty-eyed moderator

Almost ran over someone's head- a race report

Conditions: Poring rain, wind 54 degrees-- it's June right?

I had a great race-- up until the last lap. I was very active- came in second in both prime sprints (getting closer!), made several bridge/escape moves (used a bunch of energy- but the pack was sketchy in the rain so it was worth it).

Last Lap I am sitting about 5-7th wheel (approx) when we come up on the one high speed corner. I am sitting behind this enormous sprinter (woo hoo- perfect spot!), and am focussing on dropping my heart rate for the final attack (there were 2 big teams and I am solo, so I was going to try and spoil their fun using the big guy who was also solo). A couple people call out the corner and be say to be careful. Sure enough, one rider takes the faster outside line and (completely untouched) dumps his bike right in front of me and the big guy.

Oh crap!! He spins on the pavement facing me so I am about about to Cippo in the Giro him and the brakes aren't working so hot in the rain, so in despiration I throw a ton of body english left and miss his head with my wheel by inches. My right fork leg hits something (his bike?), but I keep it up- and shoot through the cones. I recover, and turn back on the course. Crap, the peloton is far up the road now. I chase anyway and just catch after they finish.

So my planned good finish and race was ruined. Bummer- as I was riding great. But that's racing I guess. Just another reason to get out of fives.

How was your weekend?

RoadBikeReview Member
    And I couldn't get into the race because registration closed out before I got in...I figured it would be wild today. Are you going to Bethesda next weekend?

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dctrofspin
    And I couldn't get into the race because registration closed out before I got in...I figured it would be wild today. Are you going to Bethesda next weekend?
    Nope trying to get some solid training in before the 2 big road races in July (the Cobblestone and Commonwealth Games RR's). My next race is the Reston Town Center GP on the 27th.

Insult to injury, on my training ride today a rear spoke (a Sapim CX-Ray no less) broke making the wheel completely unridable. Of course these are my race wheels. Now I am down to one set of functioning wheels for 3 bikes!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Wink That was a...

fun race :-). I saw the guy go down and when I saw that, I took off. I ended up getting second, barely missed winning by half a wheel. I was gaining on the winner, but I had used all of my bullets hammering up the hill before the final turn to ensure I kept my position. I think I could've caught him with about 10 more yards of road. I was on one of the big teams in the race. One of our guys went down in the 3rd lap and ended up with a broken elbow. I didn't even know he had crashed till after the race.

Next week, Bethesda. The Reston race is my teams race, look for a good time, course is nice and fast.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by novagator
    fun race :-). I saw the guy go down and when I saw that, I took off. I ended up getting second, barely missed winning by half a wheel. I was gaining on the winner, but I had used all of my bullets hammering up the hill before the final turn to ensure I kept my position. I think I could've caught him with about 10 more yards of road. I was on one of the big teams in the race. One of our guys went down in the 3rd lap and ended up with a broken elbow. I didn't even know he had crashed till after the race.

Next week, Bethesda. The Reston race is my teams race, look for a good time, course is nice and fast.
    Ouch! Bummer to hear about your teammate.

Even with the rain, it really was a fun race. I will certainly do it again next year. Nice result for you- I wish I could have been up there with you. Oh well, that's racing. . .

I am really looking forward to the Reston race, I have heard so many good things about it from my teammates. It comes at the end of a tough training block for me, so it will be a character builder. But I have really enjoyed racing so far, there have been a ton of really cool people and fun courses.

See you at Reston.

Coolhand
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Reston will be...

fun, usually lots of fans around as well, although our race is at 8:45, so there may not be as many around at that time. I'm aiming at that one for a good result, but we will see. It is a technical course. Also some good Primes available.

I have met some really good folks as well and there are some nice courses out there. The Quicksilver course is good for me as we did some practice crits on that course this winter, so I was very familiar with it.

See ya at Reston and good luck at the Cobblestone (I have to miss that one, will be on vacation). Are you trying for the VA Omnium?

Novagator

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Ouch! Bummer to hear about your teammate.

Even with the rain, it really was a fun race. I will certainly do it again next year. Nice result for you- I wish I could have been up there with you. Oh well, that's racing. . .

I am really looking forward to the Reston race, I have heard so many good things about it from my teammates. It comes at the end of a tough training block for me, so it will be a character builder. But I have really enjoyed racing so far, there have been a ton of really cool people and fun courses.

See you at Reston.

Coolhand