Another reason to live high, or why CO has a low obesity rate?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Another reason to live high, or why CO has a low obesity rate?

>>>Overweight U.S. service members are 41 percent less likely to transition to clinical obesity when stationed at military facilities located at high altitude<<<

PLOS ONE: Lower Obesity Rate during Residence at High Altitude among a Military Population with Frequent Migration: A Quasi Experimental Model for Investigating Spatial Causation
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you, I intend to uphold the injunction of
    your decree to the fullest.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    how was selection bias accounted for? people typically trying to go places at altitude if one has an active lifestyle of hiking/skiing etc?
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Interesting study.

I always thought that obesity rates have a lot to do with the general strength of a cycling scene. When someone tells me they race 4s in southeast US, sometimes I think: are they just racing against a bunch of fat dudes?
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 04-18-2014 at 07:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Interesting. It's funny to hear on the news how we have one of the nation's lowest obesity rates yet in the same breath we are also told more than half of the people in CO are overweight or obese. They have different programs to fight obesity here. Even ski pass giveaways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    how was selection bias accounted for? people typically trying to go places at altitude if one has an active lifestyle of hiking/skiing etc?
    Well, I'm under the impression that the selection mechanism was "Uncle Sam told me to move here."

RoadBikeReview Member
    they studied a sub-population, which were subjects whose BMI placed them as overweight and at risk for becoming obese. The progression to obesity was lower while they were stationed at high altitude, which they speculate may be due to some hormonal or related biological factor.

The policy implication would be to give fat people either an incentive to move to Denver or penalize them if they don't move there...

Quote Originally Posted by redroab View Post
    Well, I'm under the impression that the selection mechanism was "Uncle Sam told me to move here."

Pack Fodder.
    A subset of the population that may be overweight by the BMI scale, but generally carries a higher percentage of muscle. Even the Air Force, which has historically been one of the less active services and has a large presence in Colorado, has cracked down over the last decade or so and upped their fitness standards. Waist measurements, BMI, and similar metrics have been used.

I gained weight when I was stationed in Denver over 20 years ago, mainly because exercising at altitude wasn't all that thrilling to me back then. My activity level took a dive, and there was beer...