Any decent exercise bikes?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Any decent exercise bikes?

I usually ride on the trainer but I'm considering just buying a dedicated exercise bike. I kinda hate beating up my road bike on the trainer. Plus I like to tear my road bike down in the winter to clean and replace any worn parts which is hard to do if I'm using it for indoor training. I'd also like to have something a little more stable that I can really hammer on. The small base of my kurt kenitic trainer combined with a basement floor that isn't perfectly level means my current setup rocks a little bit when I'm working out with some intensity.

Also my girlfriend rides and would like to use the trainer. So right now I either have to buy another trainer or be swapping bikes once a day which is a pain. I figured with a dedicated bike it would be easier for us to both use it assuming it's highly adjustable.

I know there are various spin bikes but I've heard that they aren't great for cyclists. I was wondering if anyone made something that would work really well for a cyclist. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

.*`*.**.*`*.
    Seems kinda like a waste of money to me.Maybe just get a better trainer? I just liked being on my bike more than any stationary bike.

But FWIW these seem decent:

https://wheelworks.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I saw this one and it looks to be more "cyclist" oriented than the average spin bike. It actually allows you to rock the bike side to side while out of the saddle. But i hate to drop that kind of money just to find out it's crap.

http://www.motionfitness.net/bototr.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the idea of a better trainer. How 'bout some rollers?

No offense to exercise bikes, my bikes are fitted and I really drive myself nuts trying to adjust exercise bikes to feel almost as good as my road bike. If I'm going to have another bike that takes up space, I'd rather it be a bike I can ride/race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    These are pretty expensive, but are perfect for cyclists and getting a position dialed in shouldn't be a problem.

Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

.*`*.**.*`*.
    I wonder just how different those are from a trainer, they look pretty similar don't they?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 180
    I wonder just how different those are from a trainer, they look pretty similar don't they?
    Not a whole lot....but then according to SRM they were designed to duplicate the feel of a bike, which is why the flywheel is located in the back.

My guess...they are a lot more stable then a regular trainer, have a lot of room for resistance (they say they will go up to 2400 watts, which no other trainer will do) and have a lot of adjustablity to mimic your position on your regular ride.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be purchasing one....Until then....not so much
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    If I ever win the lottery, I'll be purchasing one....Until then....not so much
    Dang!!!! Nearly 3,000 Euros! I don't even want to know the conversion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    Dang!!!! Nearly 3,000 Euros! I don't even want to know the conversion.
    And that doesn't include the SRM....or a crankset for that matter

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    And that doesn't include the SRM....or a crankset for that matter
    Holy crap! That makes the average decked out TT bike seem cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sears has Spinner for $400

This looks like a pretty good deal for $400. I have a similar model the I bought at Costco and have been happy with it. I swapped out the seat with a regular road bike seat along with some shimano SPD-SL pedals.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00681521000P

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    i have a lemond revmaster. i can do full power standing sprints and everything feels rock solid. i got a demo model for about $300 off retail and it has been perfect for almost 2yrs now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Well I just broke down and ordered one of these (a Saris 300 Pro). It has a power tap which is nice. I actually went to talk to the dealer about a cheaper version. They had this version (with the power tap) waiting for customer pickup. I noticed the price that was on it was a lot lower than what they quoted me. When I asked about it, they told me it was for a family member of the owner. They told me they'd give me the same price so I couldn't pass.

When I rode it in the store it felt rock solid which is exactly what I was looking for. Now I won't feel like I'm beating the crap out of my road bike when trying to find my 30 second peak power.

Once I get it and have a chance to do a few workouts I'll post my impressions.