Atkins Atkins everywhere - REVOLT!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

Unhappy Atkins Atkins everywhere - REVOLT!!!

Every place I go now I see Atkins. Cereal boxes, breads, juices, every aisle in the grocery store has some product proclaiming Atkins friendly. And every restaurant or fast food place I've been to in the last two weeks all of a sudden has Atkins on their menus and reader boards. We've been assimilated, the BORG are here, they're everywhere, and they're Atkins approved.

I have to now go to the garden shop and find some fruit and vegetable seeds to plant in a garden this summer, but wait, will they all sprout with little Atkins banners on their leaves?

Revolt, revolt I say, this Atkins epidemic must be stamped out. One day not too long ago people were simply wondering what it was and why there was all the hoopla about it, and bookstores simply had one or two books on the subject. Now even the used bookstores have whole shelves of the Atkins books, magazines full or articles, even videos and CDs and exercise tapes proclaiming Atkins. Ahhhh, we've been overrun, we're under attack, we're being assimilATKINSated.

Must resist, must refrain, must continue on. Oh no, I'm getting sucked in, help help hellllllp helaptkins, helatkins, heAtkins, h-Atkins, Atkins, Atkins, Atkins, Atkins, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh.

They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere, resistance is futile, we have been assimilAtkinsated, and the future is low carb'd.

The first PowerBar I see with an Atkins banner and I just may just hang up my bike and go for the twinkies instead. It's everywhere, and seemingly overnight. Wonder how long it will take for this fad to pass away.

Sorry for the rant, but it is Monday, and every single food joint I went to this weekend had some Atkins offerings. And I doubt very much if any one of the people putting the menus together have any real clue what it's all about apart from a way to make more sales.

Okay, I feel better now. You can all go back to work or training or eating. Nothing to see here. Have a nice day. Play again soon. Atkins to ya.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Unhappy

Haha... I was wondering what was up with your avatar image... I was wondering if you were going to start pushing Atkins on everyone here. Guess not!

I have already noticed that the Atkins "candy bars" are pushing powerbars into smaller and smaller shelf space. If it keeps up I'm going to have to mail order my power bars. The local grocery store a year ago had like 5 flavors of power bar, 5 flavors of power bar "harvest" and 5 flavors of "cliff bars". Now we are down to just 2 flavors of harvest and like 50 different kinds of atkins/low carb/balance bars which look a lot more like candy to me.

As far as I can tell the Atkins friendly bars have no more protein than a powerbar, just 1/2 the carbs and 3x the fat. Doesn't seem real useful to me as a cyclist, and they mostly seem to have chocolate which I know is a bad thing on a summer ride where the bar sits in my jersey pocket for a couple hours before I pull it out.

Haven't noticed much change in the restaurants, but I don't eat out a whole lot. Atkins is about 1/2 an aisle at the grocery store though. They stick it in with the health & international food when it should probably go in the candy isle. Most of it seems to be junk food substitutes.

But remember... Atkins does not have an Agenda! The other doctors have an Agenda! So says Veronica and Dr. Trager! I am envisioning Veronica Atkins swimming in a money bin like Scrooge McDuck. Yep, she has no agenda at all!

Ben

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

oops, hadn't thought about that aspect of the avitar

I'll have to go find a different avitar now.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by treebound

The first PowerBar I see with an Atkins banner and I just may just hang up my bike and go for the twinkies instead.
    I have seen two different PowerBar low carb bars. Neither has the Atkins logo though.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member

Any T-shirts out there that ridicule these diets?

Something like, "I'm in better shape than you and I didn't need a stupid fad diet?"

I've seen the Fatkins ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Fatkins seems a little too antagonistic.

I might wear one that said something silly like, "High carb and <10% bodyfat" or something.

(I'd only be able to wear it in season though. :P

Ben

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Fear thee not

The great thing about fad diets is that they are fad diets. The truth will out, and we'll hear no more about this. Just give it time.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    The great thing about fad diets is that they are fad diets. The truth will out, and we'll hear no more about this. Just give it time.
    Yep, I was just amazed at how it has appeared everywhere all of a sudden. Nothing against the program since I know little about it, but I just tend to avoid mass migrations and mass movements, shoot I sometimes avoid buying something if it's too popular, guess I ain't no Lemming. ;)

And dang, that now puts me back on the thinking track of replacing the Shimano gear with Campy stuff. There's an analogy in there somewhere....

NeoRetroGrouch

I see the analogy...

but I think you have it backwards.

My troll for the day,
    TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    but I think you have it backwards.

My troll for the day,
    TF
    But then I'd have to buy a Trek and then I'd be back in the mainstream. ;)

Dry fly on a 4Lb leader with a 1Lb tippet cast from a 4wt double taper floating line.
    Just casting/trolling back at ya a little

NeoRetroGrouch

Well if you hook me...

you better keep me out of the current or I'll snap that tippet for sure.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    That's alright, I'm a catch and release kind of guy,

Catch them on the downhills and release them on the flats and uphills.

I can catch them again if they wait for me.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm totally sick of it...

Thanks to some advice gathered here, I started eating better around the holidays. Since then, I'm averaging over 60% carbs in my diet with equal amount of fat and protein. I've been exercising regularly about 12-15 hours per week. I arrived at my goal weight and goal BF% ahead of schedule while loosing just over a pound per week. I'm eating better and feel great.

My diet follows the FDA's food pyramid. Whole grains, fruits & vegies, lean meats and low-fat dairy. What a concept! The same principles that were introduced 50 years ago are still true today.

I have a couple favorite restaurants that recently introduced low-carb menus. I haven't been back to them since. It's totally annoying and I'm not gonna take it.

I have a couple co-workers that refer to me as "anorexia boy". They are touting some combo Atkins / Sugar Busters diet. I noticed one today eating a stick of pepperoni and a block of cheese. He chased it down with sugar-free Jello and diet soda. Than he had a sandwich too. Needless to say, these guys are fat slobs who haven't lost any weight. Oh, but they swear by this "diet plan" of theirs. It's strange, I constantly get to hear about the plan but I never hear about the results.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bread and grain industry is bemoaning their declining sales due to Atkins' dieters but they point out that while the diet has become very popular, the population is still getting fatter. Makes you think...

I think the popularity of the diet is due to the initial quick weight loss due to water weight and the notion that you can lose weight w/o exercise or eating less.

Get me to In&Out
    We just had a guy I work with get hospitalized from the diet. Seems kidney failure is pretty common on this diet, but not talked about a lot. What ever happened to the good ole Jarret days of lower calorie intake and reduced fat? I know I have lost 14 pounds in the off season by lowering my calorie count to around 1800 and less than 25 grams of fat a day. I realize this won't be possible when the riding starts getting over 200 miles a week later in the year, but for now, I seem to be doing ok. I am still building up from the winter running program. I alternate my five mile runs with thirty mile rides till mid march, that is when I will have to up the calories.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Feb 2004
    Atkins is a good thing! The whole diet itself is bunk - 'specially for edurance athletes, but it has made a lot of useful foods available at common places (even 7/11). Snack food that is low in high glycemic carbs and higher in protien and fiber can only be a good thing. Here are some common staples in my diet:

Detour bars - 6gr of fat, 14g of carbs (5 is sugar), and 15gr of protien. Eat one of these bars with an orange or some other fruit and you jack up the carbs, but you are still getting 15gr of protien.

Soy Crisps - 2gr of fat, 17gr of carbs (2gr sugar) and 7gr of protein - This is like a crunchy enduroxR4.

Carbfit twirls crispy soy snacks - 5gr of fat, 8gr of carbs, and 12gr of protein - again, add some carbs to it and it is a great snack for a cyclist.

Bella Vita low carb pasta: 1gr of fat, 18gr of carbs, 8gr of fiber! and 28gr of protein. This stuff rocks! You can add fat and tons of carbs to it.

Feb 2004
    Detour bars - 6gr of fat, 14g of carbs (5 is sugar), and 15gr of protien. Eat one of these bars with an orange or some other fruit and you jack up the carbs, but you are still getting 15gr of protien.

--Glorified candy bars...tons of calories. Still they do have more protein than a Snickers, but that's about all that is healthier than a candy bar.

Bella Vita low carb pasta: 1gr of fat, 18gr of carbs, 8gr of fiber! and 28gr of protein. This stuff rocks! You can add fat and tons of carbs to it.

--Travesty!!! Pasta is not low carb and eating a frankenfood version of it sounds awful. I just can't imagine this tastes anywhere near a good Italian Semolina.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

What up, dog?
    I did have to chuckle (and then roll my eyes) when I went to Papa Murphy's Pizza awhile back and they had a "low carb pizza". at least they did the honorable thing and charged less for it!

I really tend to think that WHAT you eat is still not as important as HOW MUCH you eat. Calories are still the chief culprit in weight gain. If you eat sensibly, control your portion size (which is becoming America's BIGGEST problem - bigger servings) and exercise regularly, you should do as well for yourself as anyone on Atkins.

I tend to find if I deprive myself of carbs, it has adverse health effects on me. I recently had an issue with an ulcer, and since there was very little I could eat, I became acutely aware of what my body really needed. I can't make due without carbs, and as an endurance athlete, I would almost say that depriving yourself of carbs can have detrimental effects.

Sensible diet, self control, and exercise. That's the key.

Jan 2004
    My favorite is the zone bar, 16gms of protein with some fat and carbs to bring the calorie count up to 210. If I"m at work and it looks like I'm not going to get a meal I have one of those.

Some of those fatkins things have some kind of nonabsorbable carbohydrate or some other kind of substitute thing that ferments in your gut producing gas.

I saw a sign the other week at the grocery store on how potatoes are a "low carb food". A friend of mine has been on fatkins forever it seems and has numerous health problems. They don't eat cottage cheese because it is "high sodium" but munches down on pizza and stuff on "cheat days". Everytime I see her it's a "cheat day".

On the other had I remember the low fat high carb eat all you want diet that gave birth to the new "food pyrimid" which is also a pyrimid of crap in my opinion. Now they want to further complicate the pyrimid but dividing up carbs into glycemic index catogories and other complicated things.

Whats the problem with eating healthy food and not much of it? Any diet that limits a certain kind of food, like fruit, or nonfat dairy, is a fad in my book. Also, it won't kill anyone to feel a few hunger pangs every now and then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade

Thanks. I didn't even know such a product existed. I've been trying to increase protein intake while keeping fat at a minimum. (also while not have to buy expensive protein shake mixes). I found another brand with equivelant numbers and found it to taste just fine.

Finding something so high in protein while low in fat or carbs isn't easy. The low-carb pasta has additional protein instead of carbs and remains low-fat. IMO, carbs are easy to find. I'll eat something else to get the carbs and add to the variety in my meals.

Mar 2003

Talking Fatkins T-shirts

anyone know where i can get me one of these puppies. the name is hailarious. hehe. hey do they make jerseys too..that would rok!

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Google to the rescue...

Quote Originally Posted by kenyonCycleist
    anyone know where i can get me one of these puppies. the name is hailarious. hehe. hey do they make jerseys too..that would rok!
    I love Google.

http://www.cafeshops.com/fatkins

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree whole heartidly.. such a stupid stupid concept.. another marketting ploy compliments of the starbucks types..

these people have to think things through.. if you have a problem with carbs, walk around the block after every meal!

May 2004

Here's how to revolt against Low Carb Dieters....

Here's how to throw it in their face! www.lowcarbrevolt.com

May 2004

Here are some...

Here are some: www.lowcarbrevolt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast