Bruised or Broken?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Bruised or Broken?

This is an injury from the same crash as the post about "Road Rash." I have a sharp pain on my left side when I bend sideways, forward, try to lay in bed, lie flat, put pressure on my left side or try to pull something. I can take a deep breath without much pain, the only pain felt is when I have almost taken in as much air as possible and then it hurts a little, but isn't too bad. I can ride my bike with almost no discomfort except for if/when I hit a bump that is jarring and then it hurts pretty good. I'm wondering if I haven't bruised or pulled a muscle on my left side or if something possibly could be bruised internally. Has anyone had this experience before that could help me out? I was hoping if I just waited it out it would go away, but it hasn't so I thought I might ask. It was starting to feel a little better but my work has picked up within the last couple of days and I have been aggrivating the injury. Any suggestions?

In-House Counsel
    Jul 2005
    Go to the doctor. My friends, who are doctors, tell me to go to doctor's to get examined/x-rayed. They can't examine me with their "x-ray eyes" as they say, let alone over the internet.

Cyclists over a message board will no doubt be unable to do what my highly trained friends cannot.

Go to the doctor.
    -- Jimm --

Banned forever.....or not
    Ribs fix themselves over time. Just ride as hard as the pain allows.
    Doctors can not fix ribs.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Apa kabar?
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Ribs fix themselves over time. Just ride as hard as the pain allows.
    Doctors can not fix ribs.
    +1 All you're going to do is waist some money, and definitely some time by going to the doc for rib injuries. Pain is just weakness leaving the body anyway.

Game on, b*tches!
    Or a way of telling you soemthing is WRONG. Go see a Dr.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I've got something similar. The chest/rib pain developed a couple of days after a crash in which I broke also broke a vertebra (and a spinal compression) that got worse over the next few days until being about the same pain level for the week since. Similar problems sleeping on that side, stretching or putting any pressure on it.

I saw a doctor on Friday concerned about what it could be as my ribs had been x-rayed after the crash and were not broken, and an ultrasound done on my kidney and liver to rule out bleeding of these. He diagnosed it as a chest wall injury, which is essentially bleeding in the muscles between the ribs. He said absolutely nothing to do about it, except keeping on taking the painkillers I have for my back anyway and to expect it to stay uncomfortable for 3 to 4 weeks.

Aug 2006
    Depending on your insurance (if you have some), isn't a Dr.s' visit about $15? You might as well go and be on the safe side. That way you won't be wondering about it all the time. It's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Oct 2006
    Mr Grumpy is the man!! i am healing from a crash where the handlebars tried to meet in the middle of my poor chest wall. after i got the bike to the shop, i pondered over going to the doc, and my retired RN wife said no, i can heal the road rash and the rest will be done by mother nature. this is the wife who chewed me out because i called an ambulance just because of arterial spurting on the kitchen floor - another story. anyway, if you have a broken rib it will just hurt longer. they no longer wrap the chest, so just take it easy and it will heal. if you do feel like you need to go to the doctor, by all means go. i just believe docs are overdone.

semper fi.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then call it something else.
    2006 Giant OCR2 Carbon
    Raleigh Venture 4.0

Aug 2005
    Some of you are real idiots! You will spend ridiculous sums to shave a few grams off your bike, but won't put out the cash to get yourselves checked out after an injury. AND, you go to these forums for medical advice! And worst of all, are the ones who think they are qualified to dispense the medical advice.

Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    Some of you are real idiots! You will spend ridiculous sums to shave a few grams off your bike, but won't put out the cash to get yourselves checked out after an injury. AND, you go to these forums for medical advice! And worst of all, are the ones who think they are qualified to dispense the medical advice.
    Well said. Diagnoses being given over the net without seeing the patient and I won't even bther gett6ing into their qualifications of lack thereof. And yes, of course don't spend $15-20 getting checked out after an injury with lingering pain, but do spend hundreds and thousands to lighten your bike a few grams so you can imagine you are way faster in your weekend group or CAT 3 race/ride. LMFAO

Go see a Dr. Ignore what these other idiots are saying.