Bruised Butt, Better Saddles?
    Cat 6 rider

Bruised Butt, Better Saddles?

I rode on a Specialized Milano “comfort” saddle for over a year. It wasn’t that comfortable on longer rides. Its Body Geometry didn’t work well, at least for my body, and on longer rides I’d start to get crotch numbness. There was too much padding at the front, and if I angled it down a bit I’d start to slide off. A couple of months ago I replaced it with a Specialized Avatar gel. This one correctly supports my weight on the pelvic sit bones, but makes my butt sore. It was more annoying than anything else- not enough to make me stop riding. Then, about a week ago, I noticed that my butt is actually bruised at the contact points and I haven’t been on any long rides or bumpy roads recently. I wear either Cannondale cycling shorts or Andiamo padded bike briefs under track pants.

Unless I can change something (suggestions?) I don’t think this is going to be my distance saddle either (suggestions for a replacement?)

Edit: First one to suggest I post pictures of the bruises will get them- but only if they promise to their computer screen when they're shown.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

My experience with the Avatar

I got an Avatar, put it on my bike and it hurt my sit bones to the point that I thought "never again" - that was the first ride of about an hour.
    2nd ride - Not even a hint of pain.

. did you allow the bruising to heal before trying again?

Aug 2006
    Hmmm....I've had good luck with a Terry Fly--even though I'm female (it was cheap on ebay, so what the hell). When I first sat on it, I HATED it, I thought it was as hard as a rock, but after using it awhile, I realized my butt never gets sore, no matter how long the ride. After I sit down, I never have to think about it again.

RoadBikeReview Member

Brooks

Brooks, Brooks............... Brooks Finesse for women.............love my saddles
    never,never,never give up

RoadBikeReview Member
    saddles are the toughest to fit.
    the best saddle (for you) will feel like hell the first few weeks
    you've got to adjust a little like your feet do for new shoes

but some saddles will never fit will... it's an expencive game of trial and error.
    best thing to do when shopping is get ahold of a few buddies. Most everyone i know has a few extra saddles they didn't like yet hold onto. Borrow it for a few weeks and then buy one. But test, test, test!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    as is said in any thread on the subject, saddles are very personal. where your sit bones are, where your butt tissue is firmest, etc., is all very idiosyncratic.
    But there are some generalities.
    Bicycle saddles all take SOME getting used to. The more you ride, the tougher and more resilient your tissues become, butt included.
    Softer is almost never better. You sink into them, and then you're riding on the hard surface, anyway, because there's always a hard surface. The best saddles are firm but forgiving.
    You need to find one that works for your sit bones. It shoudn't be any worse than sitting on a curb.
    After that, you have to match up how the center of the saddle presses up into your 'taint. You know. Your 'taint. The part in the no-man's land, so to speak, between the starring roles down there.
    And then you need to adjust. You shouldn't be sliding forward (nose too far down and/or saddle too high) or back (vice versa).
    Sit on them and try them. There really is no other way.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by comsense
    I got an Avatar, put it on my bike and it hurt my sit bones to the point that I thought "never again" - that was the first ride of about an hour.
    2nd ride - Not even a hint of pain.

. did you allow the bruising to heal before trying again?
    I've been riding the Avatar for probably about a month. It's always been a little sore, not bad, and better than numb. Believe it or not, as attractive as it is, I don't look at my own butt in the mirror that often. That's when I noticed the bruising. I've been on my (cushy saddle) mountain bike on the fire roads (first rides on the Specialized Fast Trak Armadillo Elites- they stick like glue to dusty/crumbly surfaced hard pack for MTBers out there who need puncture protection, much better [and lighter] than standard Armadillo Crossroads) for the last few days to try to let it heal - works fine until I hit a bumpy section then I'm out of the saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've put 200 miles on a Specialized Toupe...rock hard but zero saddle sores and zero numbness.

My wife couldn't hack the Toupe...she's swapped for an Avatar and loves it.

Sep 2006
    It sounds like you may be putting too much pressure on your sit bones. I'm not about to try to diagnose this issue via the BB because there are too many variables, but a professional bike fitting may be a better choice than blindly seeking saddles.

Eddie O
    "It doesn't get any easier, you only get faster." - Greg Lemond

55nine Performance - Laser Precision Bike Fitting

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    It sounds like you may be putting too much pressure on your sit bones...
    Eddie O
    You don't think?

Been on my roadie a couple of times in a couple of days trying to figure it out, and I've been surprised by how many times I actually bounced off the saddle. I'm going to work on lifting before bumps- and I never considered the roads/trails I use that bad- just never noticed before because their are some bad roads around here that I've always avoided. I'm also going to give the saddle a bit more time to break in.