Choosing a school with collegiate cycling and a good education
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6

    Choosing a school with collegiate cycling and a good education

    Looking for a school to go to next year? I grew up in Michigan and spent a good deal of time searching for a good school and cycling mix. Fort Collins, Colorado is now my home, I love it, much more laid back and affordable than Boulder. Plus, many would argue that we have better trails and more roads to ride on. That said, I ride for a trade team based in Boulder, it's a cool town.

    Collegiate Cycling is very different than regular racing, to see what I mean, check out this FAQ page, http://ramscycling.com/info which will answer some of the basic questions about collegiate cycling and the Rams Cycling team. You can also http://google.com phrases such as "collegiate cycling" or "collegiate cycling scholarship" and "university with cycling scholarships." Did you know that we offer cycling scholarships as well, http://ramscycling.com/scholarship . If you send an email to [email protected] we will send you info about applying to Colorado State, the Rams Cycling Team and a nice gift - all for FREE!

    Keep in mind that unless you are a pro, you will have a very hard time even getting on the A team at Fort Lewis College much less going to Nationals. They have a very good program for cycling, though not so hot academically. And don't forget, it is a real long drive to the airport in Denver everytime you want to go home.

    You might also check out USA Cycling's site http://usacycling.org/ncca2/ and one of the better conference websites, http://eccc-info.com/

  2. #2
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ksonkpro2
    Looking for a school to go to next year? I grew up in Michigan and spent a good deal of time searching for a good school and cycling mix. Fort Collins, Colorado is now my home, I love it, much more laid back and affordable than Boulder. Plus, many would argue that we have better trails and more roads to ride on. That said, I ride for a trade team based in Boulder, it's a cool town.

    Collegiate Cycling is very different than regular racing, to see what I mean, check out this FAQ page, http://ramscycling.com/info which will answer some of the basic questions about collegiate cycling and the Rams Cycling team. You can also http://google.com phrases such as "collegiate cycling" or "collegiate cycling scholarship" and "university with cycling scholarships." Did you know that we offer cycling scholarships as well, http://ramscycling.com/scholarship . If you send an email to [email protected] we will send you info about applying to Colorado State, the Rams Cycling Team and a nice gift - all for FREE!

    Keep in mind that unless you are a pro, you will have a very hard time even getting on the A team at Fort Lewis College much less going to Nationals. They have a very good program for cycling, though not so hot academically. And don't forget, it is a real long drive to the airport in Denver everytime you want to go home.

    You might also check out USA Cycling's site http://usacycling.org/ncca2/ and one of the better conference websites, http://eccc-info.com/
    Depends on your major, but Boulder has long been regarded at The Playboy (and girl) College. Attended by wannabe ski bums with trust funds. Most of these kids drive nicer vehicles than I ever will. Stay away from the binge drinking though. Both CSU and CU have had their share of bad press over that lately. About the airport...it's even a long drive from Denver to the Denver Airport! ;) Also as more people move there Ft. Collins is quickly catching up to Boulder prices. Cool place though. I love camping around the area. Plus you have the New Belgium Brewery there--home to some of my fave beers and a great supporter of the cycling community.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6

    Don't let a few dumb students overshadow an excellant university

    While it is true that both schools have had bad press for alcohol recently, this should not overshadow the quality of the education here! It is very easy to talk about 10 bad students and get exciting riot photos in the news, it takes a little work to point out all the innovations going on here, the fact the we have one of the premier Center's for Disease Control labs in the country, the antenae for the Atomic clock is in Fort Fun etc. Many great things are going on, we have one of the best Vet Med programs in the country among other programs.

    One result of the recent alcohol problems is that the Universities task force is looking into strengthening programs for students to get involved with a healthy lifestyle, in simple terms that mean programs like the cycling team will receive much more support and funding from the university. Our club sports program at CSU ( hockey, rugby, lacrosse etc) is among the top 5 in the US because of how innovative our directors are. That is bolstered by the resumes of the teams within club sports

    Additionally the cost of living in the Fort is much lower nearby cities, the median cost of a home is half that of Boulder. Plus, the entrepreneurial opportunities are incredible on the Front Range if you have any type of business aspirations.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    78
    for collegiate cycling it's hard to beat Indiana University- really well put together team plus little 500!

  5. #5
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieontherun
    for collegiate cycling it's hard to beat Indiana University- really well put together team plus little 500!
    But....it's Indiana... ;)

    P.S. Just kidding. I actually borrwed a bike from the Little 500 people when I was in town for a conference and rode outside of Bloomington for 3-4 hours one afternoon. It was fall and the leaves were gorgeous. Pretty flat riding though.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5

    Cal Berkeley

    Number 1 public university based on US News and World Reports (for whatever their rankings are worth) and they have a great Club team (that finished 2nd at Nationals behind CU). USA Cycling's website posts the collegiate rankings which you can check-out for a list of the schools that have programs. Once you narrow that list down to places that you like and where you can get in, you can contact the team (most of the school teams have their own websites). You could also then combine your college visit with one of the team's training rides by contacting them if you wanted and get a little sense of what they're about (many of the teams are Clubs where the they don't receive funding from the Athletic Department and are student run and pretty laid back). Good-luck

  7. #7
    Go Aggies
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    55

    Davis

    I'm a little biased but UC Davis. Great school without all the hassles of Berkley. The town is great and you dont have to deal with all the crazy's at Cal. We're one of the top 10 public schools and normally place in the top 10 at Nats. The good thing is our team is not made up of a bunch of pros. We've actually sent a cat 5 to nats (TTT, but he's an ex tri-guy...so ya). Anyway I dont know your major but Davis is really great. Anyway if you go check out Cal swing by UCD. You'll think twice about CAL. Ok I'm done with the UCD push. But it is a good school.

    Garrett
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created:* Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon.* ~Bill Strickland

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    Second the recommedation for UC Berkeley and also recommend Stanford. First rate academics and both are near excellent cycling terrain. And if you're into tech, Silicon Valley beats Route 128, hands down.

    Disclaimer: I'm biased - studied pure (as opposed to applied) math at Cal, and one of the guys that works for me went to Stanford.
    Last edited by Number9; 08-23-2005 at 07:37 PM.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    342
    Anything on the Left Coast (WCCC) is great. UC Santa Cruz, Davis, Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Cal Poly etc... And you find tons of USCF races within 30min to 3 hours every weekend. They're all good schools, and the racing scene is consistently good. For the most part, prize money in the USCF scene isn't so great in California, but most riders aren't in it for the money...

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    773
    what bout a few of the Ivey League schools in the NE?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: giovanni sartori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    I would guess that most of the PAC-10 schools have pretty good cycling teams, a couple have already been mentioned, you would certainly have great year-round cycling weather.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    127
    Penn State has a great program, and the cycling club is pretty strong, especially the roadie side. http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/bike/

  13. #13
    BrooklynVelo
    Reputation: daneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    Penn State has a great program, and the cycling club is pretty strong, especially the roadie side. http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/bike/
    Don't forget Columbia. Didn't go there personally (but NYU doesn't have a team) but I know some of the guys on the team and race with one on BVF. Good guys and good racers.
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wzq622
    what bout a few of the Ivey League schools in the NE?
    Doesn't Dartmouth have a good cycling team? I also think there's a mini club at Harvard but could be wrong.

    UVM has a bunch of bikers too - not Ivy though. But the winters are BRUTAL! Stay in shape with downhill & x-country skiing.

    Here's a thought - go to a school and create the damn club. Whoa!

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    But....it's Indiana... ;)

    P.S. Just kidding. I actually borrwed a bike from the Little 500 people when I was in town for a conference and rode outside of Bloomington for 3-4 hours one afternoon. It was fall and the leaves were gorgeous. Pretty flat riding though.
    Riding for both little 5 as well as IU I have to say that yes the school is top notch, the area is amazing, and the cycling is top notch. I have to ask where it is that you rode? B town is on a plateu, you can't leave without descending a climb of at least 3/4 a mile. Bloomington and surrounding areas have actually been named the best cycling areas in the midwest. No mountains but the best hills you will find I guarentee it. We have the Nashville 90 that climbs over 6500ft (mind you this is the midwest) with over 3 climbs that top out at 20+%. Not what I would call flat . Next time you are here make a post and I will be happy to take you out. I rode a few tour stages this year and I was passing people left and right going up a 9 mile climb, and I can thank B town for those legs .

    K

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.