Climbing position / saddle position
    Larry Lackapants

Question Climbing position / saddle position

I know this isn't directly about racing but here goes:

I live in a vrey flat area so i get a very small amount of climbs on my rides(short steep ones).
    I did a few days ago a real mountain ride : 6 km long( 7% or more) steady climb.
    I didn't feel very comfy on the saddle and i always found myself slipping backwards, while riding on the saddle. at the end of the climb i had a bit o f backache at my lower back.

SO: how do u think i should adapt my position for climbing: tilt the saddle forward / increase saddle height / leave it as it is ? (i intend to do more heavy climbing in the future,
    and in the few races i've done so far climbing was my big hadicap)

i know saddle position is a personal thing and nothing works better than training, but i'd like to hear your opinion too.

i usually ride with a 'normal' setback , and my saddle is quite low since this position allows me to spin the pedals faster (i also use very low gearage because it's the only way i seem to keep up with the bunch in backwind AND front wind conditions )

10x for your comments

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by brblue
    I know this isn't directly about racing but here goes:

I live in a vrey flat area so i get a very small amount of climbs on my rides(short steep ones).
    I did a few days ago a real mountain ride : 6 km long( 7% or more) steady climb.
    I didn't feel very comfy on the saddle and i always found myself slipping backwards, while riding on the saddle. at the end of the climb i had a bit o f backache at my lower back.

SO: how do u think i should adapt my position for climbing: tilt the saddle forward / increase saddle height / leave it as it is ? (i intend to do more heavy climbing in the future,
    and in the few races i've done so far climbing was my big hadicap)

i know saddle position is a personal thing and nothing works better than training, but i'd like to hear your opinion too.

i usually ride with a 'normal' setback , and my saddle is quite low since this position allows me to spin the pedals faster (i also use very low gearage because it's the only way i seem to keep up with the bunch in backwind AND front wind conditions )

10x for your comments
    Since you're not used to doing any real climbing it's normal that your lower back would be sore since you get lots of your power when seated from that area. It will only really get better with time and repetition. Also, since everyone has their own style for climbing it's impossible to say what position will or will not work for you. You're going to have to just go the trial and error route and hope you figure it out sooner then later. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.