Computer, data download for Mac
    RoadBikeReview Member

Computer, data download for Mac

I am starting out my racing career and becoming aware that I need a more regimented training program. I do not have access to HR or power at this time.

I do solo rides during the week and either race or do group rides on the weekend. The group rides can either be hammer-fests or long and slow.

I am an engineer, so data analysis is something I enjoy. That being said I think I will get the most out of a unit that can export the ride data to my computer.

My computer is a Mac.

My budget is limited, but I will spend what is needed to get the right tool for the job.

Will a heart rate monitor be enough to get my training on track or do I need to invest in a power meter?

Is there a unit (heart rate or power) that will interface with my Mac without a hassle?

jains89
    heart rate is a great first step. You can find them for under 50 dollars and will make a world of difference in your training. A power meter is the next step. Many say it sucks the fun out of riding, and I would only recommend it if you 1. are going to get a coach who trains with power, or 2. want to start racing and don't mind detailing a very structured training plan for yourself. It's still a fun tool to have, but you won't be using it the it's fullest extent if you don't do one of the above. Garmin and polar (albeit with some issues) are both compatible with mac. (the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. And all power meters are (again the polar with some difficulty)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    You might want to look at the Garmin 305 (or the other bike specific). It has a great features and comes with Mac software. The Mac software does not have all the features as the PC version but it gives you most of the vital information. Unfortunately one cool feature that is available only on the PC is the ability to export to google earth. There are a lot apps out there that might help with the export to google earth. Garmin has said it is committed to developing software for the Mac and the Mac software is pretty good.

I have a Macbook and use Parallels with XP to use the PC software. You will not need any additional cables, it comes with everything you need for the Mac.

The garmin is not the cheapest, approx $205-225 on amazon.com but the ability to track the heart rate along with getting the GPS information is well worth it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Team Cucina Fresca - Cyclocross/Road
    www.supersquadra.com

jains89
    Actually the easiest way to run windows, is to just VNC a box. No partitioning, no dual booting which slows you down, no nothing. Just run windows in... well a window.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jains89
    Actually the easiest way to run windows, is to just VNC a box. No partitioning, no dual booting which slows you down, no nothing. Just run windows in... well a window.
    that sounds like more hassle than I want.

What about doing the powertap computer without the hub? My thinking is that I could use it for the heart rate and other data right now. Then down the road get a wheel built with hub or pick one up of e$bay.

This way I could start developing my training with HR while minimizing the economic impact of later stepping up to power.

FTM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    for Gamin and Mac use Ascent, the demo version is free (saves 10 rides worth of data) but full version is only $35. It's way better than the Garmin software and I haven't even really got down to fully exploit it yet.

check it out at http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm, I really don't like the garmin at all. I know people who use it. To me it looks like a circa 1998 nokia phone.

The powertap really clutters up the bars to but when compared to the other powermeters it is pretty slick.

Something that just crossed my mind is how useful will the post ride data be? Most of the time I will just be using this computer to organize my training. Is downloadable data a feature I really need?