criterium question

Jan 2004

criterium question

im doing my first criterium this sunday and I have a really dumb question. For a 20 min + 3 laps crit should I leave on my cages and bottles. Im in mid Florida so it will be about 75 degrees. Do you even have a chance to drink during a crit? If I take them off it will definitley make my bike lighter.
    I cant help but win. Im just that good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Just leave 'em on. You will need to keep hydrated while you warmup. Take a sip when there is a lull in the race; don't try it when you're in the middle of a turn.

Feb 2004

That's the shortest crit

I've ever seen unless it's more like a circuit where the laps are 7 mins.

I'd guess it's cat 5/public. Expect it to be really darn squirrelly, surging, and terrifically fast. It's a 25 minute sprint.

Leave them on. I'd suggest carrying about 1/2 of a small bottle.

Survive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    We have Cat 5 only crits here that are almost that short. They are 12 miles on flat with easy turns. Right now they are averaging 23-24mph, in the middle of the summer they are more like 25-26mph average.

When I first did them last summer I just made sure I was hydrated before the race and didn't try to drink during the race. It's a pretty short amount of time, you probably don't need water during the race. Having one less distraction was worth more to me as the race was squirrely.

I have to do a few more of those in the next month before I can upgrade to Cat 4. At this point I have been drinking in them, but I'm fast enough I can either go up to the front and drink, or hang off the back and drink, and then just get back into position.

If you can drink on rollers you are probably fine to drink right in the middle of the pack. If not you should think carefully about your pack position when you decide to take a drink.

Ben

Every little counts...
    Don't worry about drinking. You'll be having too much fun anyways!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You probably don't need much to drink in a race that short, so I could see not taking bottles, but why bother taking the cages off too? Unless they're made of lead, the weight savings won't be noticeable.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

One Bottle and Question #2

Leave the cages. Take one small bottle. You won't have much time to drink during the race and could probably get by without. However if it is like most events, you spend a bit of time before the actual race waiting for the start do to whatever the delay of the day is. Sip on the bottle to calm your nerves and give you something to do. Not too much or you will have to pee. Remember to also consider this as a training race so it may be a good time to learn how to drink in the middle of a race. Just wait a few laps until things settle down a bit.

QUESTION #2:
    What do you do with your car keys during a race?

No pocket in my skinsuit. Hate the idea of leaving the keys hidden on the car in some of the areas we race in, besides everyone seems to use the exact same hiding place, just like putting your wallet in your shoes at the beach.

NeoRetroGrouch

Key spot, drinking, etc....

[QUESTION #2:

I keep my key (only one) tucked up above the leg elastic in my shorts. I just fear that, one of these days when I go down, it may have to be surgically removed from my thigh.

I've been in a Cit race that was only one 5.5 mile lap.

As far as drinking in a short crit (short means fast), my choice is breath or drink, so I breath and leave the water bottle at the start line.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Mar 2003

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    [QUESTION #2:

I keep my key (only one) tucked up above the leg elastic in my shorts. I just fear that, one of these days when I go down, it may have to be surgically removed from my thigh.
    TF
    that's probably one of the worst idea's I've ever heard!

re: drinking

no matter how short a race I always carry a small bottle with a little water...for some reason I get a case of cotton mouth on the first lap of about every race I do. Drinking during a lull in a race is never a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    People often get very thirsty and a dry mouth when they go anaerobic. That's Zone or Level 6, BTW.