Cyclo-Core and Cyclo-Zen

Oct 2004

Cyclo-Core and Cyclo-Zen

I posted this on the General discusion, but decided to also give it a try here.

Has anyone bought these programs? I did a search and only got two hits. You can’t tell me that no one on here has bought them. If you have, can you give a review? Are they worth $119.00?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    i bought them and they just arrived. I have only had a chance to do a quick visual review, so my opinion is premature. The only other video/dvds I have used and can compare it to is the Cyclo-Ops tapes. They are well done (good audio and video) with lots of talking you through. I have not listened to any of the audio tapes, will save those for riding in the car on a trip.

Cyclo-core and Zen are OFF the bike workouts based on yoga and exercise ball, which is what I expected. I intend to use them to help me increase core strength, overall conditioning and increase flexibility. It looks like a good supplemental program to on the bike (outside and/or trainer)workouts. I have not determined yet if it will replace my off season weight training, probably not.

There are lots of workouts under 45 minutes that are pretty intense.

You would have to be pretty dedicated to do all the workouts in a week. So you get a lot of workouts on the disks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    A friend has loaned me Cyclo-Core and the audio tapes. I have not seen Zen. I have been debating the same question of are they "worth" the price. My friend did not think so, my impression is different. I am not a member of a gym and don't have access to weights. My thoughts are as follows:

Q: Will the programs increase over all conditioning and flexibilty?
    A: Yes. The programs and exercises are well developed and balanced, difficult and effective. I think most of us would benefit from these exercises for general health and conditioning purposes-that's why I'm riding anyway. I don't know if they are a good substitute for serious weight training. I love lifting weights, but I question whether lifting has ever improved my riding-but that's my experience-I'm not bashing weight lifting for cyclying benefits.

Q: Will the program improve my cyclying?
    A: I don't know. What Street says makes sense, but unless i do the exercises for some period I will not know. Come March i can answer this question.

Q: Are the CDs worth $120?
    A: Yes and No! My sense of the market says they should be half this price. So in the narrow view they are "over priced". However, if paying $120 caused me to use the CDs on a regular bases, more frequently in the off season, but to some extent year round, it is a bargin at $120. Steet appears to know what he is doing and expresses himself well. Compared to a health club membership and all the bike sufff I buy it isn't over priced.

Conclusion: I will break down and buy Zen and Core knowing it is both "over priced" and a "bargin"! I am surprised more folks at RBR have not bought theses CDs, but the price may be a deterent. At $65 they would sell well I suspect, but he would have to sell twice as many.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Oct 2004
    I guess the proof is in the pudding.

As for the stretching, he has taken Ashtanga Yoga, or what some people refer to as Power Yoga (which, depending on your instructor can be the same or different) and marketed it along with some training.

Personally, I think Ashtanga Yoga is probably the most important after cycling stretching you can do to improve your flexibility, core strength and proprioception (the awareness of your joints in space, which would be benficial for bike handling).

What I would recommend is you go to this website www.ashtanga.net and order the short forms video. After every cycling workout, at a minimum do the 15 minute on the go program. I would, however, strive to do the 30 minute beginner program and after you are progressing, add the 45 minute into your routine. After a year, get the Ashtanga First Complete Series DVD and do this 90 minute routine in the offseason and only lift weights for upper and lower body once a week. You will get plenty of core strength and upper body work by attempting to do the first series. The practise manual book is very helpful to give those that are less flexible in certain poses (asanas) an alternative so you don't injure yourself. One giant caveat though, it would be wise to go to a led Ashtanga Yoga class for beginners to start with so you don't develop bad habits and supplement with the DVD's.

As for the remainder of the Cyclo Zen program, I don't have anything to comment on.

50ft. Queenie

on/off the bike

seems like he spends alot of time ON the bike during his video clips.
    personally, i already have a coach & scheduled workouts. I dont wnat to buy something that is a combination of both on/off workouts.

can anyone comment on how much of the videos are actually off the bike workouts??

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    The Core DVD is all "off the bike". I haven't seen "Zen".
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson