did i drop too much weight too fast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

did i drop too much weight too fast

Around Aug i weighed in at 240 since then i have ridden 2500 miles did one race, and last night i weighed in at a plump 203.5

I really havent noticed a difference in my riding since i dont keep logs, but i do feel like i have trouble riding back to back days hard

Moderatus Puisne
    if you feel fine, I would assume you are fine. If you're seriously worried, ask an MD on that one.

Everyone has trouble riding back to back days hard.

Is it because you are sore? If so, what you eat doesn't change it. Is it because you are fatigued / out of glycogen? If so, the experts say to train a lot, eat enough, and still lose weight, make sure to replace the used carbs, but not the fat. Replace it when you need it, too -- every source seems to say the "recovery drink" right after a ride is most important.

How tall are you / much weight do you want to lose?

For president!
    Quote Originally Posted by footballcat
    Around Aug i weighed in at 240 since then i have ridden 2500 miles did one race, and last night i weighed in at a plump 203.5

I really havent noticed a difference in my riding since i dont keep logs, but i do feel like i have trouble riding back to back days hard
    If you're seriously restricting your calories, it will make back to back days tougher. You're probably depleting your glycogen stores and not refilling them by the time your next ride rolls around. It is tough to do a lot of quality intensity work and also lose weight at the same time. Your current weight is not the problem though, guys who weigh 130 can eat enough to restore their glycogen just as well as you can.

Silas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    im 6'3"

I just hit my goal weight for next season, so should i try to increase my cals and see what happens?

I have cut some protein like people told me as i used to eat at least 1gram protein per body lb
    CAT

Moderatus Puisne
    If you want. It depends on what your goals are with the weight, I think. Do you currently count calories? If not, perhaps start -- at least calculating what you eat, if not restricting numerically -- and over time, try to figure out what quantity of calories per day, approx., allows you to maintain your weight. You may settle in to a quantity of training, caloric intake, and more or less maintain a decent weight for yourself without further effort.

While looking after your glycogen reuptake rate seems like a good thing, consider that most training programs have the philosophy that long rides are of lower intensity, shorter rides higher intensity, and they tend to alternate days of this sort of thing. Perhaps you should give that a try.

If you're worried particularly about food, I'd compare two high-intensity, low duration back-to-back days with two moderate-intensity, longer-duration days. The latter should deplete glyogen stores more, the former will increase muscle fatigue. That way, you can decide for which reason you feel "off" the day after a "hard" day, and plan accordingly.

Just my random thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Probably

If your weight loss was all body mass (no water) then you lost about 2.5 lb/week - a 1250 calorie per day deficit. The general recommendation is no more than 2 lb per week - a 1000 calorie per day deficit. Either one of those deficits is going to be hard on your system and you are not going to be as strong as you would eating a maintenance diet. If you have achieved your target weight, then you can ramp your intake up quite a bit and see how you feel. 1000 calories is a lot of food!