Do I focus my training on Norm power or Average power?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Do I focus my training on Norm power or Average power?

Hi there people,

I have just recently acquired a power tap and am working my way through training with power. One thing I am finding ambiguous is the idea of using an average power output to measure the difficulty of a ride as you ride.

Question: In an ideal world would one be better off training with a real-time representation of norm power (as you get with a cycleops joule), or is average power just what your actually looking for?

Im finding that often my average power may be in the recovery range, but my norm power is at endurance. Likewise for endurance range average power outputs sometimes return a tempo range norm power... thus, when I go out for an endurance ride, and return home with a tempo NP, did I actually do a tempo level ride? it seems so based on the definition of norm power!

Thanks guys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    NP is a better representation of the ride. For a solo ride, my NP is usually within 10 watts of AP. For a group ride, there's usually a big difference. I don't really worry about AP for a ride to much, I just keep the power in the range that I want/am training in and look over the ride details more once I get the file into WKO+

If you haven't read "Training and Racing with a Powermeter" yet, I'd highly suggest getting that book and reading through it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    short answer: NP is good for analyzing the overall effect of a longer (20 minute and up) interval.
    AP is used to measure the performance of intervals 20 min or less.

Each has its uses, but they make more sense within the specific confines of the objectives of a particuarl plan/workout. For example, you could have an anaerobic day where you do 2 sets 5x1 on 5 min RBI, and have the overall ride be at endurance levels. Is that an endurance ride?

Short answer: hit the targets, have a good time, go home. RIde once in a while without targets just to see where you end up.

waterproof*
    training for what purpose?
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Neither. If you're training, focus on real-time power.