Elkhorn Wisc. crit on June 26th?????
    The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

Question Elkhorn Wisc. crit on June 26th?????

http://www.wicycling.org/WisconsinCu...nFlyer2004.pdf

Has anyone done this race in the past, or have any previews on how it might possibly be?

Without going into all the details (and whineing) I have functionally zero miles on my legs this year as far as cycling goes. (Not actually zero, but it might as well be.) I've just finally renewed my USCF license, and may give this race a go figuring at a bare minimum it will count as a mass-start event (regardless if I finish, blow up, or cramp up on the first lap). ((Let's see, that should be enough disclaimers and parentheses to cover me.))

Is the course right dead center downtown, or out in some industrial park someplace?

Is it fairly intense since it's being labeled as a "State Championship"? (Seems still kind of early to be a state championship event here in the rainforest formerly known as Wisconsin.)

Does this race have a history as a crash-fest? I'll be in the cat-5 and possibly the 40+ group (just for a start counter towards future upgrades next year as I've already heard about the local fast old dudes who will probably be in the race).

Anyway, just looking for input on the race. And now I've got about two weeks to put 90,000 miles on the bike to get ready for it. (I know that's an exageration, but that's how it seems at the moment.)

Okay, you can all kick me in the rear now, but I'm getting a late start this year and am principly building up for next year, so really I'm early in my season. ;)
    <<a sig line goes here>>

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

got a response (and talking to myself here apparently) ;)

Got a reply from one of the race contacts. The course is dead flat and fast according to him. I'll post the course map below. Then I'll go practice my cornering this weekend while I try to put a few miles on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <<a sig line goes here>>

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

So let's see now....

If everyone who enters the cat4/5 race has upgraded to cat5 by now since they've all probably already raced a bunch of times then I stand a good chance of being the only cat5 in the race, so therefore as long as I finish and don't die I could get a trophy or a ribbon or something. But if I get lapped 10 times and pulled, or pull myself out by feigning equipment failure (a heart is equipment) then at the bare minimum I'll get recorded as a mass-start participant and will be on my way to upgrading for next year.

Somehow I keep waking up and find myself thinking I'm back in Seattle with all this rain that Wisconsin has been having. And I've been finding very few races scheduled for August for some unknown reason. And if there are few if any races in August then that effectively makes this an 8-12 week racing season.

Oh well, if anybody needs me I'll be in the corner counting my fingers.
    <<a sig line goes here>>

RoadBikeReview Member

also consider the Badger State Game on Sunday

Never done the race in Elkhorn. But the Badger State Games www.badgerstategames.org is having a crit around the capitol building in Madison, this sunday. They allow raceday registration.

May 2004
    If you don't have anything going on there in Wisconsin, you could do the Gateway Cup in St. Louis over the Labor Day weekend. We have four criteriums in a row, from friday to monday, all relatively close to eachother. It might be a good excuse to take a vacation, you'll be a cat 4 in no time with all that racing.

Also, if you're really interested in torturing yourself as an out of shape cat 5, go do the Illinois State Road Race the day after the Elkhart crit. It's in Cedar Point, which is somewhere in northern Illinois not too far from Chicago.

It's kind of a shame the road racing season ends so early. Down here it's pretty much over by early September, then mountain bike racing and cyclocrossing take over. I think it's because races are mostly put on by clubs, and most clubs are looking to put their races on in a primetime spot in the calendar, so they can get the best turnout possible. By October, hardcore racers are beginning to burn out, and nobody wants to take the chance that nobody will show up at their race. That's my theory, anyway.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the ideas both of you. I'm pre-scheduled on Sunday so can't make the Badgerstate games or head down to Illinois on Sunday.

I had plans to go watch the Snake Alley race but our vacation schedule ran late and couldn't make it down there to see it. Drove cross country basically non-stop to be back to work on time, maybe next year.

I think I read where LFR mentioned "racing into shape" on a thread recently, and that's exactly how my year is going thus far. I should be able to get to some of the out of state events if I work it right....

"Hey, why don't we go down to such and such a place just to get out of town for a day or so, and maybe take the bikes along, and I'll take the road bike also, oh, just in case we happen to come across a race or something...." ;)

This year is for getting back into cycling and into racing. Next year I should be fully ready for the season well in advance. That's the current plan anyway.
    <<a sig line goes here>>