Experiencing a decrease in ability

Jun 2004

Experiencing a decrease in ability

I used the treadmill over the winter and then started back riding in the spring. Was gradually building up mileage and then added some intervals on the indoor trainer. Noticed a increase in ability and was feeling good after my rides. But then about two weeks ago I started 'sucking wind'. Aerobic ability has decreased. I feel like I just started bike riding. And I don't have that good feeling after the rides. Usually I feel like I could go a little longer after my rides. Anyone else ever experience a decrease like this?

P.S. I was dx'd with MS couple years ago, but that is a autoimmune disease which effects the central nevrous system. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the cardiovasular system.

Aug 2003
    I suspect that everyone is going to say it could be a number of things. So I think some self-diagnosis and possibly some experimenting on your part might be in order. I would also say that a trip to the doctor would definitely be in order for you.

Here are some possibilities...

Could be diet. Your increasing mileage and effort but not changing diet.

Could be lack of hydration, either as part of your riding, or low water intake overall during the day.

Could be a lack of break. Have you taken any time off, even a week? I've just started feeling like this myself. So now I'm doing some planning, working on my training plan for next year, and even trying out some potential winter workouts on my new rollers. Also, added in some weight lifting and some trail running.

Could be something nutrition-related. e.g., iron deficiency

Very sorry to hear about your MS, but glad to see you are working to stay fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BBunny
    I used the treadmill over the winter and then started back riding in the spring. Was gradually building up mileage and then added some intervals on the indoor trainer. Noticed a increase in ability and was feeling good after my rides. But then about two weeks ago I started 'sucking wind'. Aerobic ability has decreased. I feel like I just started bike riding. And I don't have that good feeling after the rides. Usually I feel like I could go a little longer after my rides. Anyone else ever experience a decrease like this?

P.S. I was dx'd with MS couple years ago, but that is a autoimmune disease which effects the central nevrous system. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the cardiovasular system.

hrv

Dec 2001

Maybe take it easy for awhile?

Listen to your body. It's telling you something. This from someone who normally turns a deaf ear to his body's plea for rest. But really it's all very simple. You'll be back to your former fitness in no time.

Found a good article regarding cycling and the CNS :

http://www.bike.com/template.asp?dat...ectionnumber=5

It's the system that deals with stresses: physical, mental, emotional, etc. It affects everything you do, and everything you do affects it. Good luck, and Live Strong!

Jun 2004

Thanks hrv

That was a good article. Guess I really hadn't thought how the cns effects the cardiovascular portion. MS sucks!

Keep fighting until you're dead!