High Blood Pressure Meds and performance
    RoadBikeReview Member

High Blood Pressure Meds and performance

I am curious to find out if some of the folks on here have taken or are taking now, high blood pressure medications? It looks like I'm going to need to resort to some meds in order to get a hereditary condition of high blood pressure under control. I've been in the 140/80 range for some time now. I'm a bit overweight at 200 lbs, and have been within 3 lbs of that weight, plus or minus, for 7 years now.

I am aware that there could be some sexual ill effects as well, with high blood pressure meds. I am certainly more concerned about that, as is the entire Playboy mansion. However, since this is a cycling site, I am inquiring about potential effects/changes I could see in my cycling performance.

R. Mutt
    they'll lower your hr by 5-15 bpm (in general, both resting and in exercise). Performance wise, i'm not sure how that will affect you, suppose it depends on how hard you generally push yourself.
    I'd rather be rich than stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    i was reading something about this recently. it depends on the meds. some will greatly affect performance....beta blockers i think

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are a lot of factors: Age, Sex, etc.

It seems that you are not grossly hypertensive - the medications should not be to hammer on your BP. The meds should be to get you within "specs." That said, the effect on the biking should be minimal but everyone is different. If they affect you adversely, I would speak up to your MD.

VEN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ashpelham
    I am curious to find out if some of the folks on here have taken or are taking now, high blood pressure medications? It looks like I'm going to need to resort to some meds in order to get a hereditary condition of high blood pressure under control. I've been in the 140/80 range for some time now. I'm a bit overweight at 200 lbs, and have been within 3 lbs of that weight, plus or minus, for 7 years now.

I am aware that there could be some sexual ill effects as well, with high blood pressure meds. I am certainly more concerned about that, as is the entire Playboy mansion. However, since this is a cycling site, I am inquiring about potential effects/changes I could see in my cycling performance.

Most blood measure meds will not cause any sexual ill effects taken in moderate doses. Beta Blockers will definetly affect athletic performances because they limit your top end heart rate. Talk to your doctor and tell him that you do not want any drugs that restict your heart rate. I take Beta Blockers because I get benign palpations and the drugs stop the skips; but my max heart rate is around 135-140, that it. I can still ride all day and not get tired, just a bit slower than everyone else.

banned
    Nov 2001
    I'm on atacand hct 32/12.5mg dose and it's had zero effect on my cycling. It is working on my blood pressure however!

May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by VEN
    Most blood measure meds will not cause any sexual ill effects taken in moderate doses. Beta Blockers will definetly affect athletic performances because they limit your top end heart rate. Talk to your doctor and tell him that you do not want any drugs that restict your heart rate. I take Beta Blockers because I get benign palpations and the drugs stop the skips; but my max heart rate is around 135-140, that it. I can still ride all day and not get tired, just a bit slower than everyone else.
    I take a BB for the same reason and my HR still goes over 200bpm. I am on an low dose, though....

Be careful with hydrochlorothiazide(water pills, diuretics) and riding in hot weather. It can cause dehydration. HCT works better if you drink alot anyway.....

Flash

VEN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    [QUOTE=The Flash]I take a BB for the same reason and my HR still goes over 200bpm. I am on an low dose, though....

Be careful with hydrochlorothiazide(water pills, diuretics) and riding in hot weather. It can cause dehydration. HCT works better if you drink alot anyway.....

Flash[/QUOTE

I have been told that low doses don't make that much difference. I take a moderate amount and it is split in 2 doses. A moderate dose of a Beta Blocker will definetly inhibit maximum heart rate.