Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hmmm...maybe 4-5 crits aren't so bad.

about a year ago it was my first race season albeit as a master, and started racing in our weekly crit series in a local park. the racers were real squirrelly in the 4/5's and a friend of mine went down breaking his neck. Because of this incident, I started a thread asking if there was anything more dangerous than a 4/5 crit and got hammered by the folks here...saying there were a lot of dangerous things out there and to htfu. I got my miffed and told you guys to stuff it.

Well here I am with hat in hand saying you were right, I was wrong. a week ago I had an accident riding back from a workout not more than a mile from home hitting a car head on and breaking my neck...not sure exactly what happened since I lost consciousness, but thank God there are no neuro injuries...I have to wear a collar for six weeks and no surgery is required.

Anyway, you guys were right...often times racing may be the safest place to be because everyone is so aware...it's after the workout or race when everyone is kicking back that bad things often happen...Anyway, I will be fine and will hopefully be able to train on my trainer starting next week.

by the way, just to reinforce the obvious, if I hadn't been wearing my helmet I would be dead. Be careful out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you're okay. Scary stuff.

Heal fast!

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Nothing like a humble guy with a broken neck to cheer you up.

Glad you're ok. No Metallica concerts in your near future , eh?
    "It's turtles all the way down."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear you're OK. Now htfu (sorry -- couldn't resist!).

waterproof*
    Damn, sorry to hear about your accident. It's true that life is dangerous, but that doesn't mean we should live carelessly.

Get well, wear a RoadID and make sure your family knows your thoughts about being an organ donor.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to hear about your accident...it's never a good thing when something like that happens, whether on the road or in a race. The simple fact is you can only control your actions and not those of others....so everything in life is a risk, it's just a matter of how much of a risk you are willing to take.

Just riding a bike has inherant dangers that we all know about.

I hope your recovery process goes well and you are back on the bike in short order
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

Don't Tread on Me
    Aug 2009
    Wow - Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

I used to road race motorcycles, and it's a similar scenario. The streets are dangerous, and many people would say I'm crazy for racing, when in the end, a competent racer is much safer on the track.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Damn, sorry to hear about your accident. It's true that life is dangerous, but that doesn't mean we should live carelessly.

Get well, wear a RoadID and make sure your family knows your thoughts about being an organ donor.
    +1
    I need to get one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

vexatious enigma
    Damn, glad to hear that you are alright (relatively.)

So, you gonna race this weekend? I mean, you're not dead
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

Captain Obvious
    get well.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

TWD
    best of luck with a full recovery. Its been a total crash fest this year in Seattle area 4's and Masters so I wouldn't say its safer. Your cycling luck should be good for the future though ... sounds like you have paid the crash demons

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Yow. I hope you have a fast and painless recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Get well soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks to all the well wishers....I am a surgeon, so crashing has been an issue my entire 8 year cycling career. But at some point you realize that crashing is part of the sport, and the risk has to be accepted or you just have to quit. That doesn't mean one should not be careful and do all he or she can to ameliorate the risk, it just means it is part of the sport. Everyone stay healthy and keep the rubber side down.

Game on, b*tches!
    Just saw this. Glad you're going to mend.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Team Tom's
    Glad you're doing okay! But can you elaborate on the details of the crash? How'd you hit a car head-on? That's crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really can't remember since I lost consciousness...but my guess is that I was rushing home because I had a patient waiting on me at the office, I was going through a congested construction area, and somehow got spooked or distracted...just cannot remember. Bottom line is to be attentive and careful even riding to and from your workout, race, group ride, etc.

Game on, b*tches!
    FWIW-the most afraid I've been riding has been at "charity" rides. At least with races, you can assume most riders have some bike-handling skillz. Charity rides? Not so much.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Funny thing...all my non-cycling friends just assume I will quit cycling or at least racing. I tell them it would be easier for me to quit breathing than quit cycling. They just shake their heads....

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc
    Funny thing...all my non-cycling friends just assume I will quit cycling or at least racing. I tell them it would be easier for me to quit breathing than quit cycling. They just shake their heads....

People are stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Wow. You're real lucky there wasn't more damage. Glad you came through as well as you did. Hope the healing goes well so you can get back out there as soon as reasonably possible.

Moderatus Puisne

Yikes

Glad you are (going to be) (mostly) all right!

Didn't see this thread when you posted, just saw the bike damage.

Hang in there. On the plus side, thanks for supporting the bike industry with your previous and future purchases.

Just Plain Bitter
    Glad to hear you are recovering from your injuries. Just found this due to the bike damage thread which I must assume means you are home and looking at things trying to put them back together. Good luck in the future and please don't don't quit riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Le MisÚrable
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325
    Glad to hear you are recovering from your injuries. Just found this due to the bike damage thread which I must assume means you are home and looking at things trying to put them back together. Good luck in the future and please don't don't quit riding.
    Yes, and don't quit posting either. For the record, you ain't the only one who finds Cat 4/5 crits to be testosterone-filled crashfests...no reason to not get through it if you want to be a crit guy, but you weren't wrong.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

Team Tom's
    Yeah, glad you are recovering!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast