How To Lose 100 Watts of FTP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

How To Lose 100 Watts of FTP

Step 1: Hurt your back. Blown or ruptured discs are ideal.
    Step 2: Ignore medical professionals advise and start to ride too soon (thinking you can still salvage some of the season).
    Step 3: Re-injure your back because of step 2.
    Step 4: Make sure you do your physical therapy. But don't just do what little rehab they give you. Try 3 to 4X prescribed thinking more is always better. Hey, if you were an athlete and grew up in the 70's or 80's this was standard protocol.
    Step 5: Concurrent with step 4 do some weight lifting because we all know strength = power. Focus on leg presses with the thought that you are reducing muscle atrophy of your glutes and hamstrings. If you can't ride might as well have Levi looking legs when you do return. Do some extra sets when you are feeling good.
    Step 6: About the first day you feel no pain, hop back on the bike and ride aimlessly thinking spinning is better than nothing. Do this for a couple months. Nice short rides now. Wouldn't want to do anything stupid at this stage of the game.
    Step 7: Thinking you are finally on your way to the Protour, drink be merry and have lots of drunk sex. Again, to really mess up your back, think "harder is better".
    Step 8: After constant low grade pain returns 24/7, stop all activity, spend too much money on needless bike parts. Read lots of technical books on training and plan your nth return. Good time to set some unobtainable goals here. Forget the fact you are middle aged and work full time, have a family and beautiful wife. You're only 20 some years from 20. Go for it! Lance is just a little bit younger than you and he's doing it.
    Step 9: Seek out advise from people you don't know and are not in the medical profession. They all seem to have it figured out! Waste lots of time looking at pictures of healthy discs v. the degenerated piece of garbage you have in your back. When you get to hypnosis therapy you are getting close! Keep going.
    Step 10: Get really bummed and stop any and all "therapy". After no pain for 1 month, resume riding. Lots of zone 2. After a month or two of this go do a power test.

How did you do! I lost 100. Didn't quite get to hypnosis therapy and am still married. Planning on racing next year...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737
    Step 1: Hurt your back. Blown or ruptured discs are ideal.
    Step 2: Ignore medical professionals advise and start to ride too soon (thinking you can still salvage some of the season).
    Step 3: Re-injure your back because of step 2.
    Step 4: Make sure you do your physical therapy. But don't just do what little rehab they give you. Try 3 to 4X prescribed thinking more is always better. Hey, if you were an athlete and grew up in the 70's or 80's this was standard protocol.
    Step 5: Concurrent with step 4 do some weight lifting because we all know strength = power. Focus on leg presses with the thought that you are reducing muscle atrophy of your glutes and hamstrings. If you can't ride might as well have Levi looking legs when you do return. Do some extra sets when you are feeling good.
    Step 6: About the first day you feel no pain, hop back on the bike and ride aimlessly thinking spinning is better than nothing. Do this for a couple months. Nice short rides now. Wouldn't want to do anything stupid at this stage of the game.
    Step 7: Thinking you are finally on your way to the Protour, drink be merry and have lots of drunk sex. Again, to really mess up your back, think "harder is better".
    Step 8: After constant low grade pain returns 24/7, stop all activity, spend too much money on needless bike parts. Read lots of technical books on training and plan your nth return. Good time to set some unobtainable goals here. Forget the fact you are middle aged and work full time, have a family and beautiful wife. You're only 20 some years from 20. Go for it! Lance is just a little bit younger than you and he's doing it.
    Step 9: Seek out advise from people you don't know and are not in the medical profession. They all seem to have it figured out! Waste lots of time looking at pictures of healthy discs v. the degenerated piece of garbage you have in your back. When you get to hypnosis therapy you are getting close! Keep going.
    Step 10: Get really bummed and stop any and all "therapy". After no pain for 1 month, resume riding. Lots of zone 2. After a month or two of this go do a power test.

How did you do! I lost 100. Didn't quite get to hypnosis therapy and am still married. Planning on racing next year...
    This thread has potential.

In all seriousness - if you had it before... then you know how to get it back. Just don't re-injure yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Unfortunately I've been in a similar situation, with even fewer mistakes but still a little more hardheaded. I am now "former" runner because I wouldn't listen to those telling me to lay off and let a foot injury heal. But it didn't hurt when I actually ran--only the rest of the day and during warm-up--and I was running FAST, so I kept on going.

At least I found cycling and mountain biking. It is much less difficult on the body. I hope that one day when I try to do an Xterra or two and some triathlons that I'll be able to run enough to be competitive.

When I had shoulder surgery once an old friend--then a doc--saw me at the gym doing leg weights on machines with my arm sill in a sling. He gave me some good advice: hey you've got a lot of time and money invested in that shoulder surgery don't screw it up.

Take it easy on the back. Back injuries are frustrating. You will have setbacks even if you do everything right. Take a year off from racing and just enjoy yourself on the bike to the extent your body allows. You'll get your fitness back quickly if you heal up right and then can really train.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I'm definitely taking it easy and completely psyched out when I apply any measurable power to the pedals. Anyways, I'm pretty much pain free and building the miles back. Hopefully I can continue to build some miles through October and start intensity after that. Probably going to start with Hunter Allen's FTP improvement program. The full 16 weeks...

If anyone out there is on Step 1 please consider what a SportMed M.D. advised: "When you are 100% pain free for one month you can start to think about riding again". I'd even think about two months pain free. I guess soft tissue damage can take up to a year to heal...

RoadBikeReview Member

Step 7

...Step 7 is worth 100W.
    Cycle tours and bike rentals in Spain and Portugal. PM me for info and roadbikereview discounts.
    www.cycling-centuries.com
    www.cycling-rentals.com

"Exceedingly real"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nacho
    ...Step 7 is worth 100W.
    This is the trap though. If you lose 100W via step 7 you probably won't be able to do step 7 for a while. Maybe step 7lite, but not step 7.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Going to step 2, tonight. Will let you know if I hit step 3 or skip this program.

Anti-Hero
    Is step 7 only harmful if you're injured?

Edit: BTW- If you had 100w to lose, then you must've been a hoss to start. You'll be aight.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Is step 7 only harmful if you're injured?

Edit: BTW- If you had 100w to lose, then you must've been a hoss to start. You'll be aight.
    Only for an injured back. Injured toe not so much. Ha!

My FTP was nothing special. Even so, it's hard to imagine I could get that number again. I mean I was pretty spent after the last test...oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Dreadfully inefficient - I did it in 2 steps:
    1. hemorrhagic stroke (from similar situation to #7)
    2. two weeks in ICU.
    Presto. But sorting out all the bills will take more time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene
    Dreadfully inefficient - I did it in 2 steps:
    1. hemorrhagic stroke (from similar situation to #7)
    2. two weeks in ICU.
    Presto. But sorting out all the bills will take more time.
    Good Lord! Hope you will be ok. Story time?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I got pretty lucky and the only lingering effect after 2 months (today) is very slight numbness on part of the right side of my neck. They never could find any vascular abnormalities on any scans so at this point my risks going forward are no worse than the man on the street.

However, I won't be having sex supporting my weight on my head and neck while doing deadlifts of her posterior anymore. :'-(