How much difference in trainer-to-trainer resistance?
    lnd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

How much difference in trainer-to-trainer resistance?

Currently using a Cyclops Fluid2. Never used another brand for comparison.

Going along with the gearing recommendations in the Spinervals videos (Aero base builder I), there's no way I can match the recommended gearing for some sets while maintaining a 90 rpm cadence AND keeping heart rate in an aerobic zone (about 60% MHR). Maybe I'm a wuss (wouldn't doubt it), but if I get in a 53x15 gear, I'm not easily spinning 90 rpm, and if I do get cadence up to 90, my HR is getting up to 170+. By comparison, Coach Troy is walking over to the other riders' HRMs in the DVD and quoting HRs in the 130's, saying "good". So what gives????? I'm reasonably fit, ride a decent bit every season, including indoors, and can sustain a good pace on solo & group rides without blowing up or feeling a supreme perceived effort.

Is there such a significant difference in resistance between different trainers that the same gearing on one (like the Fluid2) is that much more difficult than on a Mag trainer or stationary bike?

Jun 2004

I'll keep it simple...

Quote Originally Posted by lnd
    Currently using a Cyclops Fluid2. Never used another brand for comparison.

Going along with the gearing recommendations in the Spinervals videos (Aero base builder I), there's no way I can match the recommended gearing for some sets while maintaining a 90 rpm cadence AND keeping heart rate in an aerobic zone (about 60% MHR). Maybe I'm a wuss (wouldn't doubt it), but if I get in a 53x15 gear, I'm not easily spinning 90 rpm, and if I do get cadence up to 90, my HR is getting up to 170+. By comparison, Coach Troy is walking over to the other riders' HRMs in the DVD and quoting HRs in the 130's, saying "good". So what gives????? I'm reasonably fit, ride a decent bit every season, including indoors, and can sustain a good pace on solo & group rides without blowing up or feeling a supreme perceived effort.

Is there such a significant difference in resistance between different trainers that the same gearing on one (like the Fluid2) is that much more difficult than on a Mag trainer or stationary bike?
    Ride in the gear that gives you the desired heart rate along with the desired cadence. It's really not that hard.

lnd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    Ride in the gear that gives you the desired heart rate along with the desired cadence. It's really not that hard.
    Yes, seems rather intuitive. This is what I have elected to do in the past. Was just more curious about if the "recommended gearing" is based on a certain level of resistance imparted by a particular trainer, and just how much difference in resistance is normally encountered between different trainer types/styles.

Every little counts...
    Ignore recommended gearing. The Fluid2 is a very strong trainer. Use the gear you need.

Mar 2002

Big difference

If you look up the power curves on the Cyclops site (difficult to find but they are there)that will give you some idea. Also the Minoura site used to have power curves listed but not now.

Moderatus Puisne

How much difference?

The short answer is "a lot," both in total resistance, how progressive it is, etc.

It's like asking "how heavy is a weight?"