How much is too much?
    Jack of no trades

How much is too much?

I need to improve my sprint. I do a lot of Zwift racing, and while I'm always right there in every race, I'm always getting beat by riders that have that higher peak power. Simply put, I can't muster the power needed to outsprint anyone.

As it is right now I can maybe, on a good day, muster a bit over 11w/kg for 15 seconds. Normally I'm around 9.5-10w/kg. And that's rather pathetic.

Naturally, to get better, you need to train. But I'm not sure if I'm over-training. A typical week consist of roughly 12 hours with a TSS of 700 to 800. Of the seven days, Monday is usually easy recovery, while Tuesdays and Wednesdays are difficult races or training, Thursday endurance, Friday another racing/training day, Saturday active recovery or endurance, and Sunday more training.

But I'm not really putting out more than 10-15 minutes or so worth of anaerobic and neuromuscular work per race event or training session (which involves one or two dedicated days of 10-15 sec sprint intervals x 10). That doesn't seem like a whole hell of a lot to me. So should I putting more time into sprints and 40/20s, or should I back off a bit?

Also, how in the hell would one fit in strength training with weights? My legs are always tired and it seems like it will be more damaging than beneficial.
    Last edited by Wood Devil; 4 Days Ago at 11:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    My legs are always tired and it seems like it will be more damaging than beneficial.
    Sounds like a sign of overtraining. The guys who do that and benefit from are in their 20's and early 30's max, I bet. IOW, it has to be tailored to the individual's age.