How to set up Bike for endurance ride/"race"?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003

How to set up Bike for endurance ride/"race"?

Earlier this year (February). I visited a friend in Miami and we spent an excellent day participating in the BIke Sebring race. This was a new sort of event for me (I don't generally do events anyway - just ride my Bike. Essentially there were two options: a 12 hour option and a 24 hour option. Bottom line is that the one who cycles the furthest in the time wins. Theer are drafting and non-drafting categories although my personal interest is in the drafting 12 hour.

I did O.K. (180 miles) and was happy to complete the 12 hours but fell short of my goal (200 miles). we will do it again next year and so I have started to think about how to improve the performance. I "bonked" badly twice during the last ride and I am working on the three causes of this:

1) Not enough training (period).
    2) Not enough LONG training rides.
    3) Insufficient fueling during the event. (leading to complete lack of energy)

On the plus side, My bike was pretty comfortable and I didn't have any significant problems with soreness (in the saddle on the day or indeed anything much beyond feeling a bit of general tiredness and hunger the following day).

I'd be very interested in any tips or recommendations you might care to make so I can see if they work for me over the next 8 months until the next race. I'm doing a century on saturday which is what prompted this email.

Also, During the ride I noticed lots of variations on the bikes which had obviously been somewhat customized towards the comfort of those spending longer hours in the saddle (especially the RAAM qualifiers). I don't want to go insane (as I said my bike is very comfortable) but I had wondered about the possible benefits of light aero wheels and Tri-bars. Last time I had standard (DA open Pro 32 spoke wheels which have always been good to me) and a deda 215 handlebar (more handlebar positions might have been nice towards the end to rest the shoulders).

Does anyone care to comment on the benefits of a deeper rim aero wheelset (on a flat moderately windy route of 12 hours duration) and the Tri bars (are there any significant disadvantages to clip-ons over the specific TT Tri set-ups I see occasionally).

TIA,

Steve

Jun 2004

As always...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Young
    Earlier this year (February). I visited a friend in Miami and we spent an excellent day participating in the BIke Sebring race. This was a new sort of event for me (I don't generally do events anyway - just ride my Bike. Essentially there were two options: a 12 hour option and a 24 hour option. Bottom line is that the one who cycles the furthest in the time wins. Theer are drafting and non-drafting categories although my personal interest is in the drafting 12 hour.

I did O.K. (180 miles) and was happy to complete the 12 hours but fell short of my goal (200 miles). we will do it again next year and so I have started to think about how to improve the performance. I "bonked" badly twice during the last ride and I am working on the three causes of this:

1) Not enough training (period).
    2) Not enough LONG training rides.
    3) Insufficient fueling during the event. (leading to complete lack of energy)

On the plus side, My bike was pretty comfortable and I didn't have any significant problems with soreness (in the saddle on the day or indeed anything much beyond feeling a bit of general tiredness and hunger the following day).

I'd be very interested in any tips or recommendations you might care to make so I can see if they work for me over the next 8 months until the next race. I'm doing a century on saturday which is what prompted this email.

Also, During the ride I noticed lots of variations on the bikes which had obviously been somewhat customized towards the comfort of those spending longer hours in the saddle (especially the RAAM qualifiers). I don't want to go insane (as I said my bike is very comfortable) but I had wondered about the possible benefits of light aero wheels and Tri-bars. Last time I had standard (DA open Pro 32 spoke wheels which have always been good to me) and a deda 215 handlebar (more handlebar positions might have been nice towards the end to rest the shoulders).

Does anyone care to comment on the benefits of a deeper rim aero wheelset (on a flat moderately windy route of 12 hours duration) and the Tri bars (are there any significant disadvantages to clip-ons over the specific TT Tri set-ups I see occasionally).

TIA,

Steve
    As always, the more aero you are, the better off you're going to be.

Big is relative
    I have done the Seattle to Portland several times. I have always done the one day version and targeted under 11 hours total for the 200 (196ish) miles. I liked using clipon aero bars because it gave me the opportunity to get aero when I felt like it and still have standard bars when riding in a pack. The aero bars also give some additional spots to place your hands to help relieve any shoulder or back discomfort. It also allows you to shift your weight forward to give your butt a break. Aero wheels are always a plus unless you expect heavy cross winds.