longer reach hoods and out of the saddle riding
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

longer reach hoods and out of the saddle riding

I hadn't noticed this before, I have bit more drop on the road bike and hoods are set further out. I've got another bike with a 10mm shorter stem and 4cm less drop. Let's call these race and upright.. When out of the saddle it feels very different. It seems to crank fairly effecient on the "upright" bike as I am more directly over the BB. The race bike I'm hunching forward a bit... I have not tried much climbing on the upright bike yet.. but I am wondering when the road is steep enough the bike with longer reach will be just fine. All this is assuming to place the hands on the hoods.

PS, since Kerry Irons is fairly witty and a math expert.. question for you Kerry, how much more aerodynamic am I on a hot day? Am I cutting through the hotter, less dense air?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Heat and speed

Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    Ihow much more aerodynamic am I on a hot day? Am I cutting through the hotter, less dense air?
    Drag is proportional to fluid (air) density, so it's a straight line. Comparing 90 F (32 C) with 50 F (10 C), your drag is 11.8% less, so you could go about 0.75 mph faster at 90 than at 50 assuming the heat had zero effect on your power output. Higher humidity would lower your drag as well, but not nearly as much as the higher temperature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    I have not tried much climbing on the upright bike yet.. but I am wondering when the road is steep enough the bike with longer reach will be just fine. All this is assuming to place the hands on the hoods.
    I see a problem where you're creating this idea that your deeper, longer reach correlates with gradient/steepness. It doesn't really work that way.

I'd ride 11% with the same drop/reach as I'd ride 5%, as I'd ride 0%. More notably, I'd be rather uncomfortable on any other cockpit setup on any grade.

I also don't see pros changing bar/stem/frame selection changes all that much. You need to go with what fits you best and something you can work around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I don't think it matters that much, just putting it up for a chat here.
    obviously pros riders most have alot of drop and they climb so well.