my 1st 2consecutive race report

Feb 2004

my 1st 2consecutive race report

Hello! How is everyone? It's the Cat 5 from last year. I just came back from my first 2 consecutive days of racing. I didn't know how I was going to feel or how I was going to make it through the weekend . So here I go with my first 2 consecutive days race weeekend . Igot a ride to the both races this past weekend from a Cat 3 teammate. We manage to get a room that was just 1mile from the start line for the race .So I got a good night sleep in the room with my Cat3 teamate , Master Cat4 teammate that shared the room. So the next day I woke up,and got ready for the race . My Cat 3 teammate and I got to the race site and registered for the race. So Cat 3 teammate and I got ready for the race .I got a lucky lady to pin my race numbers on.So on to the race. My Cat3 teammate started before the Cat5 race started. The name of the road race was called Roan Groan. Well with no futher waste of time my time came to start ,and I was full of pre-race jitters. I stay withe rest of the Cat5 peleton for the first 15 to 20 miles of this 30 mile race. After that point the Cat5 peleton pick up the pace and I was alone with the rest of Cat5 struggler to climb to the top of the Roan Groan mountain. So the next 10 miles of this climbing race was a struggle for me. That not to mention that it was my 1st Cat5 climbing race up the mountain. So I manage to finish the 8 miles of 7% gradulent near the back. I finish my 1st Cat5 mountain climb race in 3:14. I was dead tired,and out of breath when I got to the top. The Course went from 1,025 to 5,532 feet up . I don't know how I finshed it . So after this my Cat3 teammate gave me a ride back down the mountain. I got a good night sleep after the race .
    Day 2. I woke up with my Cat3 teammate at a friend of his house. I got breakfast and then got ready for the crit. We left the friend's house at 7:00 a.m. ,I was still groggy and sore a little from the day before. We arrive at the race site with enough time for me to register. I got my race clothes on ,while my Cat3 teammate who gave me the ride to both days of racing help me to pin my race numbers on . His race didn't start till much later. So I procceded to get a couple of warm-up in before race started. So I got to the start line and waited for them to say "go" . So the Cat 5 Crit started off with no problem. I manage to stay with the pelton for the majority of the first half of the Cat5 crit . Before I had to avoid a Cat 5 crash at the top of the hill in the crit course. All I can say is that the road were wet a little ,but I manage to stay upright . But wait that wasn't the only Cat5 crit crash I had to avoid. There was at least 3 more Cat5 crit crashes. But the good news of all the Cat5 crit crahses I had to avoid I manage to finish the wet course unscrathed. I finish the crit 17th out of 20 Cat5 crit racers. I remeber that I was a lap down before the Cat5 crit cashes happen which I manage to avoid. But I thought I should have had better results.Oh well. One Cat5 racer got ranover by another Cat5 racer in the peleton of the crit. Well here is my first 2 consecutive days of road racing race report . I hope you enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I think it's easy to forget that pretty much all of us thought we'd have better results. Keeps us coming back, to some extent.
    About the funniest thing I remember from first year of law school was the revelation -- and I'm not kidding, it was a revelation -- that only 10% of the class gets to be in the top 10%.
    Only the top five finishers get to be in the top five. And it ain't easy, in any category.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Roan Groan & Bristol

As I started reading your race report, I thought it sounded like Roan Groan...I was there too and raced cat. 4. Tough race. I did not hear any of the officials mention it this year, but that climb up Roan Mountain was on the Tour DuPont/de Trump at least one year and was rated as a category 1.

Having a wet day at the crit did stink...cat. 4 had 4 crashes...the guy that won crashed twice.

Good job!!