My cytomax is nasty!
    RoadBikeReview Member

My cytomax is nasty!

I recently went half'ers with my road buddy on a 4lb can of cytomax. The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me. I sort of tastes like super intense original bubble yum. Is there something I can mix it with to make it a little tastier? add powder kool aid or some lemon? What other cytomax flavors taste better? Thanks

May 2007
    I think it taste halfway decent...
    For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.

-Albert Camus

smell my finger
    Sep 2007

cytomax

I just recently purchase the can 1/2 that size and got the citrus flavor. It's really smooth and very digestable. I usually water down gatorade or juice drinks because of the sweetness. I mix 1 1/2 scoops for a normal water bottle and it works fine.

More cowbell!
    I've always had that experience with Cytomax, not to mention it doesn't do well at preventing leg cramps. I've had much better luck (and taste) from HEED, particularly the lemon-lime flavor.

AH1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I Peach Flavor
    Insert amusing tag line here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me.
    Have you tried using half as much Cytomax mix with water? Wife and I have used Cytomax for 5+ years and I will admit that over time it has lost its zing so now we add some Sobe No Fear Sugar Free (fruit punch flavored) to the mix. We have a 2 Quart pitcher of water in the refrigerator and when it comes time to make bottles for rides, we add about ~6-8 oz.s of Sobe to each of the four 24 oz. water bottles then mix the Cytomax at about 1-1.5 scoops of Cytomax per ~64-70 ounces of water, shake well and then pour into the bottles to top them off.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballito
    I recently went half'ers with my road buddy on a 4lb can of cytomax. The problem is that the tropical fruit flavor is way too sweet for me. I sort of tastes like super intense original bubble yum. Is there something I can mix it with to make it a little tastier? add powder kool aid or some lemon? What other cytomax flavors taste better? Thanks
    I'm not sure if they have quality control issues?

The grape I have - if I mixed it at 2 scoops per 24 ozs, it'll give me stomach issues.

Peachy Keen and Apple Berry
    are the best.

Tropical Fruit was weak for me. feels like i need 3 scoops. (looks like plain sugar in the container)
    Tangy Orange - ok..but not as good as peachy keen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only use about 2/3 the suggested mixture intensity because like you I
    can't stand the syrupy sweetness. Back off the mixture a little and it
    should taste fine. Of course the manufacturer wants you to use a lot,
    but on hot days a more diluted mixture actually hydrates me better with
    less unpleasant side affects.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    1 scoop of Tangy Orange works well for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Grape and orange are nasty. The pomegranate berry was so delicious that I could drink it with meals (not that I do). I think it was the slightly sour taste that made it so good and didn't give me sweet belly.

The Dropped 1
    Maybe just find a flavor you prefer?

I use Go Grape and Pomegranate Berry (1.5~ scoops in a 24oz bottle). I've always liked the sweeter taste; makes it seem like a reward. When I go for a swig of Perpetuem I am not usually looking forward to it ;)

waterproof*
    I miss Apple flavor. The citrus, green colored is ok, sort of a weak version of originial Gatorade. +1 on the cramps though; it actually seems to cause cramps in a strange way b/c I can ride harder for a couple hours than I can w/o cytomax, then when cramp time comes it hits hard. So I mix in some electrolyte powder, been working ok so far.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I recently got the Tangy Orange for a change of pace and it stains my water bottles.
    It is too sweet so I will cut the dose to 1/2 scoop. I will stick with the lemon/lime or fruit flavor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I use the grape flavor and mix 1 scoop with a 24 oz bottle. From all of the sports drink I have tried, I can tolerate the Go Grape flavor the best. And at least to me, it has a pleasant enough taste.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by lablover
    I just recently purchase the can 1/2 that size and got the citrus flavor. It's really smooth and very digestable. I usually water down gatorade or juice drinks because of the sweetness. I mix 1 1/2 scoops for a normal water bottle and it works fine.
    +1 on the citrus
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks one and all, I used 1 1/2 scoop in my 24 oz bottle, add it was also 100+ degrees. I guess if hot water tastes bad, hot cytomax is super nasty! When I got home, I had another 24oz only with ice cold water and squeezed a 1/4 of a lemon. I did taste better, but I have to admit my personal preference is for something a little more on the sour side. I think next time I'll buy citrus or maybe try Pomegranate Berry.

Calm like a Bomb..
    which cytomax is recommended for cycling

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed
    which cytomax is recommended for cycling
    I personally love the Pomegranate Berry and the Citrus flavors. I actually find that without breakfast or gels, a 24oz bottle of Cytomax can keep me going for a little over an hour of medium intensity cycling, without feeling drained. I might give Pink Lemonade a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I've tried pink lemonade and am now using Tropical fruit. The tropical fruit is pretty good.

I've drank cytomax the morning after a heavy night of drinking when theres no Gatorade to help rehydrate me. Seems to work good for that too.

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by david462
    I've tried pink lemonade and am now using Tropical fruit. The tropical fruit is pretty good.

I've drank cytomax the morning after a heavy night of drinking when theres no Gatorade to help rehydrate me. Seems to work good for that too.
    I sometimes take an 8oz serving of cytomax for every 4 beers, and I'm good in the morning. Sure it's extra calories, but those mornings are the days I ride my bike to the pool (about 11 miles), swim, and ride back.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    I used to use the citrus, which ain't bad. Basic lemon-lime flavor. But about a month ago I switched to the all-natural-flavor grapefruit & cranberry. I like this. It has very little flavor or sweetness. It's pretty neutral. Must be what happens when you don't add artificial flavor enhancers.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!