No time for breakfast?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

No time for breakfast?

I'm starting a new job, having to have the house at 5:30 am - to early for breakfast, I work in a hospital(operating room) so not always able to eat or eat healthy. Granola bars aren't all that healthy, someone recommended the Kashi bars. Who else has a hard time fitting breakfast in?

kytyree
    How about drinking some milk and some juice?

Anti-Hero
    Cliff bar (Kashi bars are good, too, but some are light on the protein)
    Make a PB & J the night before & stick it in the fridge
    Set your alarm 5 minutes earlier & scarf down a bowl of cereal
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    I'm starting a new job, having to have the house at 5:30 am - to early for breakfast, I work in a hospital(operating room) so not always able to eat or eat healthy. Granola bars aren't all that healthy, someone recommended the Kashi bars. Who else has a hard time fitting breakfast in?
    Protein shake with milk and frozen fruit in it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm up at 5:15 every morning and have no problem getting some sort of breakfast. Most days as I'm getting ready I'll start the hot water kettle going on the stove and have 1/2 cup of oatmeal (1 minute variety) just before heading out the door...then I'll take a protein bar and a diet Snapple or diet coke or something like that with me and eat on my way to work.

That usually holds me over until 9am or 10am when I need a snack until lunch.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Eat at work

Quote Originally Posted by trek7100
    I don't know how long your commute is, but if it's a reasonable distance, you could just eat at work (while cooling down after your ride). If you want cereal, you can just put it in a baggie with enough powdered milk so that you can just add water. Keep a bowl and spoon at work, and you're good to go. Be imaginative, and it's easy to sort out.

waterproof*
    Powdered milk ???? Good God man, have some decency! This is a family - friendly forum.

OP: just plan ahead a bit. Mix a yogurt parfait - plain yogurt, granola/oat bran/cereal of your choice / fruit - the night before. They keep well on the drive in. Is there a company cafeteria? Heck, in a pinch even Mickey D's has eggs and parfaits.

/ edit - every hospital of any size has a cafeteria... with decent healthy choices....
    Last edited by Creakyknees; 11-30-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    No dairy right before exercise (like, 30-45 min). Do what andrea said w/o the milk.

Call me a Fred
    Get your rear end out of bed 10 minutes earlier than you do and eat a breakfast. Go to bed 10 minutes earlier to get the same amount of sleep.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    No dairy right before exercise (like, 30-45 min). Do what andrea said w/o the milk.
    Oh yeah- I forgot that most people put milk on cereal... I put yogurt or soymilk on mine.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

why no milk?

Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Just asking, what's the problem w/milk before exercise (other than the obvious, sick to the stomach if you go too hard too soon)? Saturdays, I usually scarf down cereal with milk, pack up my gear and start riding. And I've been known to down a quart of choco milk midway through a long ride, but I'll grant you its not for everyone.

Lexicon Devil
    I have no problem with eating a bowl of cereal with cow's milk and then going for a training ride almost immediately thereafter.

By the time I'm warmed up (15-20 minutes of steady spinning), it seems that most of the food's left my stomach or is on the way there and I'm able to do some harder efforts. LT work, though, is a different matter. I have to have an empty stomach for that stuff.

Oct 2008
    Dry cereal on the way would work too. You can get mini wheat or something w/o all the sugar additives and pitch that into a ziplock. Bananas make great breakfasts too. Often times all I eat is a banana and some coffee.
    Greetings from Jacksonville, Florida
    Giant TCR A1 (2008)