O2 Dep

Thread: O2 Dep

Category Four Racer
    Jan 2003

Question Oxygen Deprivation

How do you know when you are in oxygen deprivation? I think I went into it in a race on Sunday. Light headed, dizzy, about two miles after a good climb and setting a new maxHR, 197. I did recover and finish the race, just not with the main group.
    Last edited by lexington476; 07-06-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Aug 2002

Hmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by lexington476
    How do you know when you are in O2 dep? I think I went into it in a race on Sunday. Light headed, dizzy, about two miles after a good climb and setting a new maxHR, 197. I did recover and finshed the race, just not with the main group.
    Basically whenever you're anaerobic you're in O2 debt. But I don't think that's what you experienced. You should be able to recover shortly after the hill. If you kept going hard after the hill I could see it being from not getting enough o2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are signs saying "O2 Department" and lots of O2 cylinders around?

How do you know when you are in O2 dep? I think I went into it in a race on Sunday. Light headed, dizzy, about two miles after a good climb and setting a new maxHR, 197. I did recover and finshed the race, just not with the main group.

Category Four Racer
    Jan 2003

And so Squint, where would I put one of those on the race bike???

Category Four Racer
    Jan 2003

Question

What would being light headed and dizzy two miles after the climb on a flat section be?

Category Four Racer
    Jan 2003

Cool

Ok, there I changed the title from O2 Dep to Oxygen Deprivation.

Aug 2002
    What would being light headed and dizzy two miles after the climb on a flat section be?
    Don't know. Did you continue to go really hard or did you get to recover a little after the climb? If you continued to go hard I'd say you went about as hard as you can go and started feeling light headed and dizzy. If you backed off it could be something else, adreniline?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    How do you know when you are in oxygen deprivation? I think I went into it in a race on Sunday. Light headed, dizzy, about two miles after a good climb and setting a new maxHR, 197. I did recover and finish the race, just not with the main group.
    After a couple minutes of holding your breath?

I'm fairly certain that this is an out-dated idea. Your blood does not appreciably desaturate even during the most intense exercise. There is never a lack of oxygen available (oxygen deprivation) nor is the an "oxygen debt" produced by the working muscles.