post ride lung question

Oct 2003

post ride lung question

i know this isn't the best place to ask for medical advice, but maybe some of you have experiened this as well and can give me some info: after some training rides and races, especially when i put in a hard sustained effort at the end, my lungs are kind of wheezy when i get off the bike and start taking big deep breaths. like as i fill the last quarter of my lungs they sort of wheeze and there's sometimes a burning pain. maybe the pollution in nyc? maybe just normal? i've never had an asthma attack, never anything approaching serious like that. anyone experience this and find a way to minimize it? although i doubt this impacts me too much i'd still like my lungs in top performance if i could while training and racing, or to know it's natural and everyone's lungs get like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless you're actually having an asthma attack or used to smoke, you have more lung capacity than you can use.

The feeling you describe is normal after a hard effort, especially if you don't do a lot of L5 and L6 work in training. In fact, it can be even worse accompanied by nausea and the taste of blood. It's best to stay away from crowds (shopping, school, work) after such an effort because you can easily get the flu, etc.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Maybe we should start an exercise induced asthma support group.

I posted here a few months ago about this.. I too never have had any issues - except
    for when I go on 100 mile bike rides. I have compared riding 100 miles on a normal
    day to riding 15 mintues on a CODE RED ozone day.

I have had success with a Claritin-D before my 100 mile century, and will probably use
    it again. I took one on a race day too.. I think it helped keeping my lungs open for business.

Before - I would want to cough on any deep breath after my effort - 100% bothered.
    With Claritin-D - 5%.. very minor irritation, and I could take deep breaths afterwards.

I do think if you are training riding on Code Orange/Red days - you do risk damaging
    your lung and lung capacity.

At any rate, I'm not a doctor, so do whatever you decide at your own risk or consult one.

Someone had also pointed out a link to this article by Joe Friel (the first one).

http://www.ultrafit.com/librarypub.a...ibrary&s=Other

Quote Originally Posted by wooden legs
    i know this isn't the best place to ask for medical advice, but maybe some of you have experiened this as well and can give me some info: after some training rides and races, especially when i put in a hard sustained effort at the end, my lungs are kind of wheezy when i get off the bike and start taking big deep breaths. like as i fill the last quarter of my lungs they sort of wheeze and there's sometimes a burning pain. maybe the pollution in nyc? maybe just normal? i've never had an asthma attack, never anything approaching serious like that. anyone experience this and find a way to minimize it? although i doubt this impacts me too much i'd still like my lungs in top performance if i could while training and racing, or to know it's natural and everyone's lungs get like that.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cough Variant Exercise Induced Asthma here

The original post reminds me of exercise induced ashthma, but then he should be having attacks whenver he spends more than 15 minutes in zone 4 or up.

I think its weird that the attacks only start AFTER I work out. I'm okay when I'm riding even if I feel like I'm dying on the bike. Within 20 minutes of getting off the bike I'm hacking up a lung. The key for me is to rest. At lunch stops I'll go off to a quiet corner and close my eyes. This helps me not cough as much so I don't irritate my throat.

They gave me an inhaler once, Pebuterol I think, and it was worse than the attacks so I threw it away. It made me feel very shaky and weak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not asthma. I have this "problem" at the end of a hard race when I haven't been doing enough work above threshold in training or just go really hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i tend to get a little cough about 20-30min after a hard workout.
    just little coughs. But always after my body is cooling down...

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I will go further to mention that I think mine is due to post-nasal drip - my nose runs when
    I bike - and I know it is going down my throat and into my chest too. I think this is
    what is causing my irritation.. therefore I think the claritin-d ( antihistamine + decongestant) is
    the ticket for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wooden legs

Oct 2003

thanks

thanks guys, great info, i don't realluy cough at all, just get wheezy, and it's always while cooling down, and i haven't been doing a huge amount of top zone training, so there you go. sounds pretty normal. riding behind busses and semis for nine hours a day once a week aggrivates it i'm sure, i won't be in this city that much longer though so no worries. thanks again -