Recovery from Achilles tendon injury

Jun 2004

Recovery from Achilles tendon injury

About 6 weeks ago, I did a full collegiate weekend. Somewhere on the ride down (4 hours in the car) I managed to pull/strain something in my left Achilles. I did a TTT and RR the next day, followed by a crit the next morning, which I pulled out of because I couldn't pedal.

It's gotten quite a bit better since. I stayed off the bike as much as I could bring myself to do; when I did turn the pedals, it was slowly, and for shorter distances/times.

Still, it continues to bother me a bit. Does anybody have any advice on this type of injury? It's not really steady--some days it'll be bad, and I turn back after 4 miles; other days I've gone 50 without any trouble, and not too much trouble the next day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    you did this in the car? was your girlfriend there?

I completely ruptured my achilles about 10 years ago...that sucked. I'd take alot of ibuprofin and ice the hell out of it. If it gets no better in 3-4 weeks you probably have a partial tear, I'd see an orthopod and get an MRI.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Achilles tendon injuries tend to heal very slowly, as there isn't much blood flow to that area. You need to baby your ankle, stop riding, and see a doctor ASAP.

chamois creme addict

Careful!

Quote Originally Posted by FieldSandwhich
    About 6 weeks ago, I did a full collegiate weekend. Somewhere on the ride down (4 hours in the car) I managed to pull/strain something in my left Achilles. I did a TTT and RR the next day, followed by a crit the next morning, which I pulled out of because I couldn't pedal.

It's gotten quite a bit better since. I stayed off the bike as much as I could bring myself to do; when I did turn the pedals, it was slowly, and for shorter distances/times.

Still, it continues to bother me a bit. Does anybody have any advice on this type of injury? It's not really steady--some days it'll be bad, and I turn back after 4 miles; other days I've gone 50 without any trouble, and not too much trouble the next day.
    If you are suffering from tendinitis or more appropriately, tendinopathy of the Achilles you need to be very careful. It can become a chronic problem very quickly. I am not a doctor, but I was a victim of Achilles problems about 10 years ago. In addition to getting yourself to a sports-oriented MD, here is what helped me:

1) Do not stretch your calf muscles (and thus the tendon) if it is sore or inflamed. This will make things worse. To loosen the calves, try some self massage.

2) Wear heel lifts of about 1/4 - 3/8" in your everday shoes. This will reduce the stretch on the tendon during everyday activity.

3) In the morning, do not just jump out of bed. The tendon has been healing over night and you can undo some of that very quickly. Do some massage to your calf muscles and flex your foot a few times before walking, just to loosen things up.

4) For cycling, move your cleats back on your shoes. This will shorten the lever effect on the calf muscles and thus the tendon. Also, lower your saddle 3-5 mm when you move the cleats as it effectively shortens the leg length.

5) Ride small gears and try to minimize the ankle motion until you are 100%.

Jun 2004

thanks

Thanks all for of your advice--

I plan to find a good sports MD, especially based on your advice, and the small things on a day to day basis to help it along.

~sandwhich