red meat

Thread: red meat

Jun 2003

red meat

how often is it okay to eat red meat? what are the pros and cons of red meat? i get almost all of my protein from chicken, turkey, fish, yogurt, and protein bars.....what's the word on COW?

remodeling...me

You mean beside the fact that it tastes so good?

Especially with a beer after a killer ride? ;)

Call me a Fred
    I eat cow quite often, along with pig and chicken and fish. They taste great and keep me healthy.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer104
    how often is it okay to eat red meat? what are the pros and cons of red meat? i get almost all of my protein from chicken, turkey, fish, yogurt, and protein bars.....what's the word on COW?
    I love cow. Nothing wrong with it unless you have an ethical problem with eating meat in general. Health-wise, it is pretty good for you. Leaner cuts are best for health. I wouldn't go overboard with it though. Mix in some chicken and fish and only eat red meat on occasion. Everything in moderation. If you are worried about growth hormones and such, spend the extra $ for organic free range.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned forever.....or not

Red is fine.....Green is bad.

I usually carry one or two raw steaks with me on a ride. It save me time from jumping off my bike and killing something.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    I usually carry one or two raw steaks with me on a ride. It save me time from jumping off my bike and killing something.
    Now I know why those dogs follow you! ;)
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

steel road, fixie, & MTB

go grass-fed and free-range, if you can get it

buy grass-fed, free-range and organic beef or bison (also: pork & chicken and orgainic produce), if you can get it.
    that's the way God intended: growth harmone and antibiotic free and not be forced fed corn feed and animals parts feed like a cannibal. let them graze in the sun, eat grass and reproduce under the open sky..until we kill 'em quick & mercifully and them butcher 'em clean.

happy cow
    clean meats, better taste
    healthy cyclist
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

50ft. Queenie
    no meats for me.... i still go ok.

Jun 2004

More iron and protein and fat

Bioavailability of Iron: Compared to other animal products, red meat has more iron, and the iron in red meat is more readily absorbed then the iron from other sources. (For example a dairy or vegetable product will have a certain iron content described on the label, but much of that iron is not easily absorbed by the human body.) Iron is important for oxygen transport in the bloodstream. Women are more likely than men to be iron deficient/anemic.

High Quality Protein: Red meat has lots of high quality, complete protein that is quickly and readily absorbed by the human body. Probably the best source in terms of protein quality.

Saturated Fat: Red meat is loaded with saturated fat. Yes, even the lean cuts. The more red meat you eat, the more likely you are to clog up your arteries and add fat to your waistline.

I eat red meat about twice a month, just for the fun of it. It is entirely possible to eat a healthy athletic diet without red meat, you just need to learn a little about nutrition and read the labels on the food you buy. Notice I'm not telling you that you should or shouldn't eat red meat. Sedentary people don't need all the fat in red meat, and hammerhead racers who ride a zillion hard miles per year probably need some good lean red meat after a hard ride or race. I believe that if there's a history of heart disease in your family then you should stay away from it, otherwise enjoy in moderation as long as you are doing some serious excersize.

Nov 2001
    I'm a vegetarian.
    I will never eat an animal unless it is a grass eater... Cow eats grass, I eat cow..

RoadBikeReview Member

Keep it lean and small...

As others have said, it is a great source of good protein and iron. OTOH, it also provides a big punch of sat. fat. Go for the leanest cuts: center cut, round, etc. and keep the portions small. A portion is the size of a deck of cards. It doesn't seem like much but it's all that you need.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work