Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

San Diego Club looking to complete rooster

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Rich_Racer 
#1 ·
Squadra Ovest, a San Diego and San Francisco based club is in search of riders for it's San Diego chapter. Riders of any ability are more than welcomed to join the team, as we are race oriented, but not race exclusive. Whether your a cat 5 or 3, or maybe never even raced, we are interested in you. We are a team dedicated to team work, fun, and keeping a balance between cycling and our personal lifes. We focus on providing our riders with an environment that will allow them to further develop their riding skills, while still having fun. Unlike other teams, where you have to prove yourself to join them, we won't requiere that. Instead, we are looking for riders with a good personality, no attitude, and you can have an positive impact on the sport and our community. Besides offering a great team environment that few clubs can rival, we offer great sponsorship deals on nearly every bike product you can think off, including thongs for your S.O.

If your interested in joining us, feel free to send me a private message or visit our website at www.squadrasf.com.

#2 ·
was remotely interested until I saw that 'friends don't let friends....' quote at the bottom of the post. If you are trying to build a cycling club I don't think it advisable to slag a portion of the populace. Considering that most the racers I know ride Campy I see why you may be having trouble filling out your roster.

#3 ·
atpjunkie said:
was remotely interested until I saw that 'friends don't let friends....' quote at the bottom of the post. If you are trying to build a cycling club I don't think it advisable to slag a portion of the populace. Considering that most the racers I know ride Campy I see why you may be having trouble filling out your roster.
Sad to see you can't take a joke. Any it's funny you should mention that most racers ride Campy and I'm having trouble filling up the roster. Well, we are not having "trouble", but in fact looking to include riders who would other be riding unattached. Secondly, in our S.F. chapter, well over 60% of riders, if not more, ride Campy. I don't see how that could be an issue. Finally, several of our S.D riders do ride Campy and they don't seem offended by it.

Guess you can't please them all.

#4 ·
atpjunkie said:
Life's too short not to have a sense of humor ATP..... seriously. All my bikes are Campy and that isn't the least bit offensive.

#5 ·
Okay

I'll be relocating to San Diego this summer. I'll drop a line when I get there. Never raced before and just bought my first road bike last fall, but I'm interested in the sufferin', anyway. I'm in the Navy so I'll have to go to sea a bit, too, but I'm definitely interested.

#6 ·
lemonlime said:
I'll be relocating to San Diego this summer. I'll drop a line when I get there. Never raced before and just bought my first road bike last fall, but I'm interested in the sufferin', anyway. I'm in the Navy so I'll have to go to sea a bit, too, but I'm definitely interested.
Sounds good. Just drop me a line when your here and we'll be more than happy to have you join us.

MJF

#7 ·
Can I just say, as a recent addition to this team, I think they're fantastic! They're great fun to hang out with, and to ride with, and race like a genuine TEAM, not just a bunch of guys wearing the same kit. I won a local race this weekend because 3 teammates worked to get me to the line first. This was only my 2nd race in the US. Quality and inclusiveness matched. Awesome!

Rich.

#11 ·
San Diego

I'm interested. Currently, I don't race but I'm thinking about it. How about organizing a group ride in San Diego?

bro

mexican-JUMPING-frijoles said:
Squadra Ovest, a San Diego and San Francisco based club is in search of riders for it's San Diego chapter. Riders of any ability are more than welcomed to join the team, as we are race oriented, but not race exclusive. Whether your a cat 5 or 3, or maybe never even raced, we are interested in you. We are a team dedicated to team work, fun, and keeping a balance between cycling and our personal lifes. We focus on providing our riders with an environment that will allow them to further develop their riding skills, while still having fun. Unlike other teams, where you have to prove yourself to join them, we won't requiere that. Instead, we are looking for riders with a good personality, no attitude, and you can have an positive impact on the sport and our community. Besides offering a great team environment that few clubs can rival, we offer great sponsorship deals on nearly every bike product you can think off, including thongs for your S.O.

If your interested in joining us, feel free to send me a private message or visit our website at www.squadrasf.com.

#14 ·
I'll be there

I'll likely do more than one as well. I like to fulfill my obligation early so I can pick and choose based upon factors such as heat later on in the season.

Have fun, keep it upright. This course rewards taking pulls, especially when coming Westward, also, it's a short distance from last turn to the stripe, go all out right away. LOL

#15 ·
lemonlime said:
Lemonlime,

I am also in the Navy here in San Diego, contact me offline dorf411@netzero.net if you have any questions about the area or the bases here. I typically commute 4x a week to 32nd St. 24 miles R/T and do some various weekend rides as well. I'm a non-racer but like to go fast just the same.

John

#16 ·
I'm not offended actually. I actually own bikes equipped with both. was just commenting that it isn't the best way to start a dialogue. whether I 'get the joke' or not is moot. I'm just saying if you are trying to recruit riders you shouldn't put anything in the post that may put someone off. it makes you seem less 'inclusive' than I'm sure you meant. I have one of your flyers from cx season. I hope it goes well and when my daughter is old enough that I can get back to a full train sched. I may look you guys up. where are you based North,Central, East, SD proper?

peace

atp

how do you replace a .03 cent STI right lever return spring?
Buy a whole new set
unfortunately this isn't a joke

#18 ·
You name it, I've ridden it over the years. I'm now Campyonly.

if I had the dough I would be too. I just don't like Shimanos repair by replace policy, lack of interchangability between gruppos (why diff. BB spline designs?) and OEM strong arm tactics . To me it makes them the Microsoft of the cycling world. plus I like being able to shift (easily) while braking and being able to field dress my shifters if necessary. This is not meant to be a troll to start a Shimano vs Campy war I see the quality and value in each group and it is just my personal pref.
it's like food

some like Italian
some like Japanese
some like both

so order me up a bowl of Udon with a nice Marinara

I'm just not a big fan of dogma in cycling parts or life

#19 ·
It always amazes me how it's possible to turn a discussion about anything into an argument about shimano vs. campy!

Reporter: "So Mr. politician, do you think your opponants fiscal policy will lead to a drastic increase in the national GDP?
Politician: "I don't know - does he ride Campy?!"

People - try to count backwards from 10 whenever someone tells you they don't like your deraillier! It's just a deraillier!

So - to remind everyone - the discussion was about any San Diego riders that would like to join a racing team.

#20 ·
where you come from

Rich_Racer said:
It always amazes me how it's possible to turn a discussion about anything into an argument about shimano vs. campy!

Reporter: "So Mr. politician, do you think your opponants fiscal policy will lead to a drastic increase in the national GDP?
Politician: "I don't know - does he ride Campy?!"

People - try to count backwards from 10 whenever someone tells you they don't like your deraillier! It's just a deraillier!

So - to remind everyone - the discussion was about any San Diego riders that would like to join a racing team.
Isnt it mech, not derailluer?

#22 ·
BroCycler said:
I'm interested. Currently, I don't race but I'm thinking about it. How about organizing a group ride in San Diego?

bro
Why try and reinvent the wheel? There are SO MANY group rides on the weekends now that all ya gotta do is pick one and jump in!

SDBC, Swamis, Ranchos, Cyclovets, etc all ride Sat AM...

You want some REAL fun? Come down to Fiesta Island when the time changes. Thurs nights at 1800 at the entrance to the island.

Mike

#23 ·
atpjunkie said:
Hey ATP! When's the last time you rode? Having Campy on the bike hanging in the garage don't count...

Says the guy with two "garage queen" D/A bikes.

Mike

#24 ·
MShaw said:
Why try and reinvent the wheel? There are SO MANY group rides on the weekends now that all ya gotta do is pick one and jump in!

You want some REAL fun? Come down to Fiesta Island when the time changes. Thurs nights at 1800 at the entrance to the island.

Mike
Sometimes it's good to ride just as a team - although I don't think SqOv is trying to organise a whole new san diego group ride.

Isn't there a tuesday morning session at Fiesta Island when the clocks go back too??

Rich.

#25 ·
MShaw said:

Mike
Where not trying to reinvent the wheel. We are inviting people to join a club, and this club, like most clubs, has club exclusive rides. Why? Because we want our riders to know each other on a personal, sporting and professional level. And because it's fun being able to ride with your own teammates who you know they can ride, and not be concerned for you safetly like in other rides, or have to stop 2-3 times during a 3 hour ride to regroup for 15 minutes.

As for Fiesta Island. Can't wait for that to start! Also, try the track. Tuesday night racing starts April 6th.

#26 ·
SD ride

Rich_Racer said:
Sometimes it's good to ride just as a team - although I don't think SqOv is trying to organise a whole new san diego group ride.

Isn't there a tuesday morning session at Fiesta Island when the clocks go back too??

Rich.

There is a Tuesday TT training session at Fiesta Island all year, check www.cyclo-vets.org for more info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.