RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Say it ain't so: 65 watt FTP drop?

Can this really be true or do I just need to run a FTP test again?

Last winter I started training for the first time and using power. Here is a run down of what has happened.

I used Sufferfest on my trainer and did their 4D test last November. I was using virtual power based off the Kinetic Trainer. All of my trainer/winter training was based off this number
    FTP was 294w

Won some free CTS coaching and did a CTS Field Test (on the road with Powertap P1) at the very end of April. I was holding well above 315w for each long duration.
    FTP was 296

Got injured in August and just shut it down for about a month and then just mountain biked on the weekends until now.

Yesterday did the same CTS field test, but on the trainer with the P1 pedals. Also my max watts was super low like in the 700's

FTP is roughly 232. W T F?

Did a training ride on Zwift today with my FTP put in at around 255 just for giggles. It was super easy (granted I chose 10-12 week FTP building and said out of shape, but still.) At the end I did a little sprint and was over 1000 watts, which is higher than previous wattage.

Do you all think I just had a bad FTP test and should I do it again? Maybe not enough sleep, bad food, stress? Any ideas of why so bad?

How long should I wait to do it if so?

Thanks for the feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you're using different conditions and gear to measure.
    Do the CTS Field Test (on the road with Powertap P1) and compare.

or do the Sufferfest 4d test again on the kinetic trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Kiwi thank you for the reply.

I don't have Sufferfest anymore, so can't do the 4D.

Super hard to get out and ride outside. I basically work dark to dark. Might be able to this weekend.

My concern is that while the conditions and gear are different than the first two tests, they are still the same conditions/gear used, just not in the same way. And both times resulted in similar FTP. Now I am way low.

I also did another Zwift training ride today and upped my FTP again to 275 just to see how the workout would go. Super easy again, and HR matched my PRE.

So I am thinking maybe just an off day when I tested?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Kiwi thank you for the reply.

I don't have Sufferfest anymore, so can't do the 4D.

Super hard to get out and ride outside. I basically work dark to dark. Might be able to this weekend.

My concern is that while the conditions and gear are different than the first two tests, they are still the same conditions/gear used, just not in the same way. And both times resulted in similar FTP. Now I am way low.

I also did another Zwift training ride today and upped my FTP again to 275 just to see how the workout would go. Super easy again, and HR matched my PRE.

So I am thinking maybe just an off day when I tested?
    It well could have been, we all have them. My coach used to tell me not to get hug up about the odd hiccup but focus on the trend, and how you feel.
    Hopefully you get some time this weekend for a real conditions test or maybe just do the trainer one next month again. . Keep riding and get plenty of rest and you'll see progress. Good luck.

I love to climb!
    The zwift workout you mention is supposed to be super easy. That particular plan won't get difficult for several weeks, so it's not telling you anything right now. If you went from riding a lot to hardly at all for more than a month, a significant drop in ftp is normal. But it should build back up pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Interestingly enough one of the newest episodes of Fast Talk podcast is about trainers and they discuss how your FTP is often lower than when you ride outside, sometimes up to 50 watts lower.
    They said it would be a good idea to have two different FTP levels to work from depending on where you are riding.

I guess I will do the test one more time and go from there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Interestingly enough one of the newest episodes of Fast Talk podcast is about trainers and they discuss how your FTP is often lower than when you ride outside, sometimes up to 50 watts lower.
    They said it would be a good idea to have two different FTP levels to work from depending on where you are riding.
    How well you are getting cooled off on a trainer probably makes up quite a bit of the difference I would bet. I know that makes a pretty big difference for me anyway,so I keep the trainer area at 65 degrees when I'm working out on it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It is amazing how hot you get with no wind huh? I am in the basement, so it is cold enough that I have to start with a sweatshirt on, but that gets taken off pretty quickly. I have a fan now to help.