Shameless plug for my racing season - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infini
    Including today's, there are 4 left. 3 Crits and one Road Race
    Gotcha. Crits...points, I get it now. LOL, I usually assumed that stage races implied overall time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah James!! Get em.
    Your almost second overall now. Can't wait to hear what happened today.

Superweek next?

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    I took second overall as of yesterday. Lost it all today.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH. I can't do steep, 60s uphill finishing sprints.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Looking at your blog, you are averaging around 80% of your max heart rate. Is it always that low when you race crits? Are you just crazy fit??
    Good job today, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kreuzberg
    Looking at your blog, you are averaging around 80% of your max heart rate. Is it always that low when you race crits? Are you just crazy fit??
    Good job today, by the way.
    It's closer to 83%, +3% depending on the heat. This year I'm just in shape compared to other cat3's. I'm sitting in the top 5 wheels at all times and have no trouble going with the attacks I want to go with, even if that means going with every attack. Granted, it was different yesterday in the final "sprint."

After collegiate season, racing with 1/2/3's since February, these 26-27mph, 50min crits are pretty easy. It's the 29-30mph, 75-90min crits at altitude that are hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    It's closer to 83%, +3% depending on the heat. This year I'm just in shape compared to other cat3's. I'm sitting in the top 5 wheels at all times and have no trouble going with the attacks I want to go with, even if that means going with every attack. Granted, it was different yesterday in the final "sprint."

After collegiate season, racing with 1/2/3's since February, these 26-27mph, 50min crits are pretty easy. It's the 29-30mph, 75-90min crits at altitude that are hard.
    All I can say is, WOW.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    I took second overall as of yesterday. Lost it all today.

UGHHHHHHHHHHH. I can't do steep, 60s uphill finishing sprints.
    I saw that, regarding slipping down the standings, you wrote: "Forget upgrading to cat 2 this year." But I wondered why the overall is relevant for an upgrade---don't you only get upgrade points for GC finish in a timed stage race, not points omniums/stage races?

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided
    I saw that, regarding slipping down the standings, you wrote: "Forget upgrading to cat 2 this year." But I wondered why the overall is relevant for an upgrade---don't you only get upgrade points for GC finish in a timed stage race, not points omniums/stage races?
    Yes. But my hopes of winning a race in this series is over. Winning a race in an omnium, 9 days into the series, on a weekend, is nearly impossible. I refuse to upgrade until I win at least one race -- 2nd place, 4th place, whatever, isn't good enough.

The guys who have been doing this series for the past 10 days do not have the legs to compete with people who only race on weekends. The best we can typically hope for (on Sat/Sun) is top 5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. But my hopes of winning a race in this series is over. Winning a race in an omnium, 9 days into the series, on a weekend, is nearly impossible. I refuse to upgrade until I win at least one race -- 2nd place, 4th place, whatever, isn't good enough.

The guys who have been doing this series for the past 10 days do not have the legs to compete with people who only race on weekends. The best we can typically hope for (on Sat/Sun) is top 5.
    LOL, and I think 3 race weekends and/or 3 weekends of racing in a row is enough. Much props for being to handle this many days in a row!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

thanks ...

for the writeup! It's very motivating to hear different perspectives on the races happening in my backyard. Between your blog, the XXX posts (especially Sean's) and the RCVV summaries, I feel like I know more about the Cat 3 riders then my own cat 4/5 group

- K

Mar 2003
    My #1 objective this year is the Tour of America's Dairyland. It's a stage race spanning 11 days and 10 races. I've trained (though not enough), I've tapered (though questionably well), and I will race the series.

In fact, I will win the series

If you'd like to follow my progress, or regress for that matter, I am updating my blog daily starting today. There is a series preview today, and tomorrow's epic Blue Mounds Road Race will be a highlight, for sure.

For those of you interested, this is the proposed Olympic Road Race course for the 2016 games that might be held in Chicago. 2200ft of climbing in each 22mi lap. 44mi for the cat3's, plus another 0.2mi, 20% grade hill at the finish. A preview of the course can be found on the first video on this website: http://www.peloton-pix.com/

James
    http://iliveonnitro.blogspot.com

44mi for a cat 3 race at basically sea level...sh!ts weak son! Just did the dead dog SR in wyoming 86mi cat 3 race 8400-10800ft..now thats a race

Quote Originally Posted by kenyonCycleist
    44mi for a cat 3 race at basically sea level...sh!ts weak son! Just did the dead dog SR in wyoming 86mi cat 3 race 8400-10800ft..now thats a race
    It was surprisingly easier than the other races in much higher heat. The pack collectively took it easy after finding out how hard the course was.

Collegiate nationals in Colorado was harder. Though the 2nd hardest race of my life was during this series, and every climb was in the big ring. Who-da-thunk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12