slight pain (discomfort) in upper part of the right calf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

slight pain (discomfort) in upper part of the right calf

greetings

several months ago (~4) I pulled something behind the knee of right leg when I raised my saddle too far up. Lesson learnt. I have since lowered saddle by ~5-7mm since the pain point but I still have discomformt after or during the ride in upper part of the right calf.

Any thoughts? Is my saddle still too high or is this possibly caused by it being too low now? Is this just a matter of time and stretching? Anything else?

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    greetings

several months ago (~4) I pulled something behind the knee of right leg when I raised my saddle too far up. Lesson learnt. I have since lowered saddle by ~5-7mm since the pain point but I still have discomformt after or during the ride in upper part of the right calf.

Any thoughts? Is my saddle still too high or is this possibly caused by it being too low now? Is this just a matter of time and stretching? Anything else?

thanks
    If you are still encountering pain in this area, might be a good idea to seek out some physical therapy. you might have caused some damage to the area requiring more rehab than you realize.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    The popliteus is a muscle below the knee that can sometimes get strained/inflamed and cause nagging pain. Usually rest( i.e no bike riding for a couple of weeks) is what you need. Good luck with the recovery!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    greetings

thanks
    I would say you should find a good sports massage therapist near you and give them a try. I doubt you did any serious damage, so this might be the least expensive and easiest way to see if you can get some relief from the discomfort. I have a seriously messed up left knee and when something makes it go weird on me, I find that time and massage work wonders.

That being said, if it looks like it's become chronic, go see a good othro/physiologist and see what they say.

good luck either way

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

your lucky day, you owe me a beer!!!

I am a physical therapist and triatlete turned cat 3 rider. I made the same mistake!

1)Change right now, yesterday, to a FIXED CLEAT. (the bicepts femoris and the popliteus both stabilzed the rotation of your heel and the more float, the more work for these muscles) buy the red cleats for shimano durace and be fitted well before final tightening
    2)Never ride a fixed gear, too much eccenctric work for these muscles and no variation
    3)Never ride a flat ride just sitting in the saddle, your best ride will be on constantly rolling hills where you are able to sit, stand, sit, stand (this will vary the attack angles on these muscles and give them some rest) If you must, much better to climb straight up a hill, out of the saddle then on flats. Once the S.O.B. heals then try the flat stuff again.
    4) use a foam roller on the lateral hamstrings, the lateral calf etc before the ride.
    5)Always use tights, or even better a bib tights to ensure warth and start slow
    6)Because it is chronic, the area only knows one type of tendon pain, to reset the cycle apply a Capsacian (hot pepper) rub, this will diminish the "substance P" in the area and diminish the chronic pain. (just don't touch your junk or eyes will applying) the after shower will be painful but no worries. Try a product called "Percutane" www.clin-tech.com or the half-strength "Capzasin" from the drug store (the "Capzasin HP" is too strong and feels more like torture)
    7)Take 2 motrin before the ride just to seal the deal
    8)Finish the ride with a 7 minute ice massage out of a syrofoam cup.
    9)Try a Whey protein recovery drink with protein to speed healing of the muscle as it turns to tendon

IF THIS HELPS AND IT SHOULD RIGHT AWAY, I WOULD ACCEPT A PAYPAL DONATION (BUT ONLY IF IT REALLY HELPS), I AM TRYING TO BuY A CLIMBING INDOOR TRAINER "KURT ROCK AND ROLL PRO" AND EVERY LITTLE BIT WILL HELP.
    S. Stevenson Master's of Science in Physical Therapy
    please call if questions 707-483-5876
    paypal to: [email protected]

greetings

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Rest did it for me

I had the same pain in the same calf from the same mistake- my saddle was a little too high. I lowered the saddle slightly. My next ride was about a week later and I noticed the pain diminished on its own over time to nothing now.

Good luck and make sure you give it some rest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

same result here

Quote Originally Posted by trek_FL
    I had the same pain in the same calf from the same mistake- my saddle was a little too high. I lowered the saddle slightly. My next ride was about a week later and I noticed the pain diminished on its own over time to nothing now.

Good luck and make sure you give it some rest.
    I ended up lowering it by total of ~15mm, gradually, over a few weekends, and it took a few more weeks to finally settle down. So the saddle was much too high and eventually I injured myself. Live and learn.

Interesting side benefit - as I lowered the saddle height it improved my saddle comfort level - saddle too high was causing problems "down under" and I tried 4 saddles with no results. Now I can ride all the saddles I used to find uncomfortable - some are better than others but they are all rideable now. Another lesson learnt.