Snake oil or no?
    Game on, b*tches!

Thumbs up Snake oil or no?

Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Anyone use them? I always wondered if the claims about them were true; less soreness in the joints, etc. A month or so ago I decided to try some. Well, I'm here to tell you, from my eperience at least, this sh*t works. I am noticably less sore than I can remember being and at this point in my training I'm about 3-400 miles behind previous yrs, so I'm certainly not more fit. Any one else have similar experiences with it?
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram59
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Anyone use them? I always wondered if the claims about them were true; less soreness in the joints, etc. A month or so ago I decided to try some. Well, I'm here to tell you, from my eperience at least, this sh*t works. I am noticably less sore than I can remember being and at this point in my training I'm about 3-400 miles behind previous yrs, so I'm certainly not more fit. Any one else have similar experiences with it?
    I have been taking it for about 2 months, and have recently been less sore in the knees. You may not be reaping the benefits from it yet, as it takes 1.5 - 2months to start seeing signs it is working. Maybe you are less sore because you are riding less? Whatever the reason, enjoy having your knees feeling good. When mine are sore, it makes me miserable on and off the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to the National Institutes of Health:

# For a subset of participants with moderate-to-severe pain, glucosamine combined with chondroitin sulfate provided statistically significant pain relief compared to placebo--about 79 percent had a 20 percent or greater reduction in pain versus about 54 percent for placebo. According to the researchers, because of the small size of this subgroup these findings should be considered preliminary and need to be confirmed in further studies.
    # For participants in the mild pain subset, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate together or alone did not provide statistically significant pain relief.
    http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/gait/qa.htm

Oct 2005

It worked for me

When I was a rockclimbing bum (living out of a van, taking throw-away jobs, putting super glue on finger cuts so I don't lose any down time, etc, etc) I took that stuff religiously.

The glucosamine helps to rebuild. The chondroitin gives it elasticity.

At least that was how it was described to me by a chiropractor/fellow climber.

I also strongly recommend flaxseed oil and vitamin c. Google why those two help. The bottom line is they do.

A nurse/climber told me to cycle off the gluco/chondroitin every three months. I don't know if this is accurate but she claims that the body will respond better if you cycle off every so often.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

My 13 year old Rot loves that stuff

Major improvement in my dogs mobility. Chasing the ball for twenty minutes use to result in two days of stiffness not any more.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    The stuff must be good. It's advertised on TV, isn't it?
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW...
    I've been taking a product called 'Joint SYNergy' for the last 10+yrs as a preventive measure and I guess it works...I'm 65+yo, my comfortable pace is 17-20mph and never have any joint pains during or after a ride. IMHO, the two items alone are not adequate for my supplementation but it's the only product that I've found that contains the majority of independent items that I've read about that support joint maintenance and/or helps to eleviate pains..

"Joint SYNergy by MRM provides a systematic approach to joint care & repair. Each capsule of Joint Synergy supplies the most advanced ingredients known to promote joint health plus the superior activity of Noto-Gin™. Noto-Gin™ is a unique form of Panax Ginseng shown in exciting new studies to provide fast relief to muscles, bones and joints*. Clinical research has demonstrated the effectiveness of these compounds individually, and together, in assisting the body to rebuild damaged connective tissue*. Sea cucumber contains high amounts of mucopolysaccharides and other compounds, such as holoethicin that support joint health*. Glucosamine sulfate enjoys years of clinical and experimental use in Europe. Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane (MSM), a patented compound, has been used in both clinical and experimental investigations for several years.

Dual Action formula! Comprehensive joint care & repair formula* Exclusive herbal complex providing superior inflammation relief* Noto-GinTM for natural pain relief*
    Active Ingredients/per 4 capsules):
    Glucosamine Sulfate (KCl) - 1000 mg
    MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) - 500 mg
    Noto-Panax Ginseng - 100 mg (50-60% Saponins supplying 45% Ginsenosides) Chondroitin complex - 280 mg
    Collagen complex (type II) - 200 mg
    Sea Cucumber - 100 mg (25% mucopolysaccharides)
    CMO (25%) - 100 mg
    Boswellia serrata- 200 mg
    Bromelain (2400 GDU) - 100 mg
    White Willow bark (0.1% salicylates) - 80 mg
    Tumeric (95% curcuminoids) - 75 mg
    Manganese (citrate) - 8 mg"

I don't race, but I think White Willow bark may be a banned substance...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coonass
    I don't race, but I think White Willow bark may be a banned substance...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's just asprin...

Edit: yep, it is asprin...

What Is It?

The bark of the stately white willow tree (Salix alba) has been used in China for centuries as a medicine because of its ability to relieve pain and lower fever. Early settlers to America found Native Americans gathering bark from indigenous willow trees for similar purposes.

The active ingredient in white willow is salicin, which the body converts into salicylic acid. The first aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) was made from a different salicin-containing herb--meadowsweet--but works in essentially the same way. All aspirin is now chemically synthesized. It's not surprising, then, that white willow bark is often called "herbal aspirin."
    Last edited by shawndoggy; 05-05-2006 at 07:37 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I've got chronically bad knees, and I've been taking it for 1.5 years now. It certainly seems like it works for me. Much less residual pain in the knees, and overall my joints feel better than they did when I wasn't taking it.

Interesting theory about cycling off every once in a while. I'll have to try that (and hope the positive effects are not cumulative).

Jim

Game on, b*tches!
    It has probably been at least a month. Trust me, it's working.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Game on, b*tches!
    How long do you cycle off? A month?

catzilla
    Alton Brown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Jello

I recently found an article that along with Glucosamine C & GL + MSM , if you add jello you are adding a key element ,,,, Do a google search on arthritis & Jello....

Before you sluf this off, find out what jello, gelatin and collagen have in common...
    I've been taking my GC & GMSN with natural fruit mixed with Jello,,,

And my knees have never been better,,,, even with out taking aleve,,,, stunning,,,

Placebo or not the right knee is not complaining like it normally would,,,

PS do not mix raw pinapple with jello... tell me why?
    Last edited by pr0230; 05-19-2006 at 03:43 AM.

Oct 2005

I'm not sure...

How long do you cycle off? A month?
    My nurse friend didn't specify.

Personally, I've tried cycling off 2-3 weeks. It's something everyone has to figure out on their own.

Good luck. And don't forget the flaxseed oil and vitamin C.

AJL
    Glucosamine, Chondriton + MSM did the trick for me (the MSM is a must). I don't cycle off, because I'll be in pain in 3-4 days. Knees are pretty knackered from x-country in HS. Since a dietician suggested GC&MSM (~5 years ago), I am 100 precent better

Game on, b*tches!
    I do vit c and fish oil-more omega 3's, no omega 6's (which we get plenty of anyway.)

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Big is relative
    I roll out of bed, put on cycling stuff and head downstairs at 4:30am every morning. I judge the effectiveness of the supplement I take by the amount of noise my knees and ankles make going down the stairs. I take a G-C with omega-3 every morning with my multivitamin. I started with two a day for 60 days and now only take one a day. It has been a year and I think it works.
    Retired sailor

Game on, b*tches!
    Pardon my ignorance. What is MSM? According to the studies cited, the GC combo did not include anything else.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Pardon my ignorance. What is MSM? According to the studies cited, the GC combo did not include anything else.
    Mainstream Media. Apparently these folks take it while watching the evening news or reading the New York Times.