• 06-13-2008
    Poncharelli
    Surviving the counterattack after a preem
    Hereís the crit racing situation:

Broke away a couple of laps with a small group, then go neck to neck for the preem. Gave it all I had and now Iím gassed as heck.

The peloton has now caught us a minute or so later. Few guys jump off and try to string things out.

Any tricks to surviving the counterattack??

What I did was moved aside and let the peloton go by (only about 20 guys), and try to hold on to the back. They yo-yoed me to death and I came off.

Should I have stayed in the way, and force myself to integrate into a better spot up front?
  • 06-13-2008
    godot
    don't bother with preems would be a good start.
  • 06-13-2008
    Andrea138
    Don't attack if you can't take a counter. I looooove making counter attacks :D
  • 06-13-2008
    Poncharelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by godot
    don't bother with preems would be a good start.

In this particular crit series, better stuff is won in the preems (as far as cash value). I guess that's why we all kill ourselves for them.

No points are accumulated for final results either.

It would still be nice to hold on.
  • 06-13-2008
    Poncharelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Don't attack if you can't take a counter. I looooove making counter attacks :D

And I looooooove trying to survive them. Just wondering if there's any tricks or techniques.
  • 06-13-2008
    Creakyknees
    I like to get primes, mainly b/c they're less contested and I'm a mediocre sprinter.

With a full minute, you should be recovered, esp if you're sitting up. Tabata intervals, my friend.

Meanwhile, don't move aside. Make the pack go around you (not in a dangerous way) so you're getting some draft as you slide back. Accelerate gradually (since you don't have the legs to jump again) and try to tag a wheel before the last one goes by.

• 06-13-2008
    green_mnt_boy
    special intervals
    strategically, you just have to go for it and be able to recovery, so it is more in preparing your ability to recovery from very hard efforts.

tabata intervals are good, but might not be tuning the longer effort required to get the preem. My recommendation would be these 2 intervals that have been prescribed by my coach in preparation for an important crit.

1) race winning interval. get in the drops and shift into your biggest chain ring and mid-cluster (biased towards smaller cog as you get better at these) and hold for 1 minute, then shift down the cluster 1 click (2 when you get better at these) and increase RPM by 5 if possible and hold this for 30 seconds, the final 15 seconds is done at the smallest cog and out of the saddle in a full explosive sprint. when you cross the line, shoot the bike forward in practice and in a race if necessary. this is a very hard interval.

2) 30sec on 30sec off interval. if you have a power meter and know your FTP, use 120-140% of your FTP and do 30sec at this power and 30sec of easy spinning to recovery. do this for 10 intervals, then rest for 5 minutes and repeat the intervals.

note that both of these workouts require a really good warm-up and should only be done when your legs feel good.
  • 06-14-2008
    Poncharelli
    Thanks, creakyknees and greenmntboy,

exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Again.

Ponch
  • 06-14-2008
    Andrea138
    You can also do Microburst intervals- 10 seconds as hard as you can accelerate, 10 sec rest... repeat 10x in a row

They'll make you throw up in your mouth a little, but they're great for building up lactic acid tolerance.
  • 06-15-2008
    fleck
    know when to sit up.
    get your spin high to keep the legs fresh.

position yourself to force the passing riders to shelter you as they come by.
    accelerate to their speed as they come on you. Don't wait until half the pack has come by. The second half will come by you even faster.

the intervals will help but most important is not catching ont he back but to catch on to the front. Once you're stuck toward the back when you're tired the slinkey effect will take care of you for certain.