Is there a newer trainer like the Taxc Flow (quiet wind trainer with power)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Is there a newer trainer like the Taxc Flow (quiet wind trainer with power)

I've been looking at a Tacx Flow to replace my Minoura HyperMagAlu (which Ive just sold to fund the Flow). The improvements I want are:

1) Power
    2) Noise (less ... quiet enough to not annoy my flatmates if I train early in the morning).
    3) I'd love to be able to program in workout intervals, hills or similar ...
    4) As a dream I'd love to be able to connect to a DVD or some great climbs and have the effort adjust with the hills.

So the Flow does 1 and 2, and I think for twice the price I can get 3 with the Tacx Fortis.

Now with filter down technology, its my guess the replacement to the Flow (and competitors new models to target the flow with more features) will do 3 and maybe 4 soon.

Does anyone know or offer suggestions on a trainer costing no more than the Flow, which might get me more features that 1 and 2?

Thanks

-Chris

PS its more money than I want to spend, but perhaps a set of power cranks or power hub and rollers is a better buy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I find the Tacx info confusing, as it looks like a Tacx flow and the Upgrade PC will do all I want ... http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/erg...Upgrade+pc.dot

It just doesnt state is exactly.

time to find some youtube videos of real people using them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    No replies ... hmm.

More questions. I really can't understand the Tacx indoor trainer product lines. There is the 'Upgrade PC' for the Cosmos and Flow, which I think links them to your PC, which essentially makes them into the Fortis and I-Magic ... I think.

Dose anyone have a Tacx Flow, and secondly have you bought the Upgrade PC to allow you to view the stats on the PC, perhaps record stats, program rides and possibly watch the DVD's and have the resistance adjust to match?

The Tacx website isnt great for explaining what improvements you get from model to model, as they're written in too strong markeing speak that says everyone is great.

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Have you looked into the Tacx Bushido?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Make sure you try them out first. I like my Kurt Kinetic a lot, but it is noticeably louder than the Minoura HyperMag that I used before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A TACX Flow with the upgrade will give you all four features you are after

RoadBikeReview Member
    On their FAQ's:

Can I upgrade my Cosmos to a Fortius trainer?
    Yes this is possible. Just purchase the T1925 upgrade PC Flow/Cosmos.

Can I upgrade my Flow to an i-Magic trainer?
    Yes this is possible. Just purchase the T1925 upgrade PC Flow/Cosmos.

Devinci_rider
    Sep 2005

Tacx Bushido

Go with the TACX Bushido.
    -It'll display power
    -you/your coach can upload workouts using power
    -with the USB Software kit, you can transmit data to the unit (DVDs)
    -and the best part; 100% wireless!
    -plus it's smoother and quieter than anything else I've ridden

Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Well, I'm now about to buy the trainer ... post Christmas I think, as getting over a minor injury from having my foot run over when a cab didnt obey the road rules.

The Bushido does look amazing, and if the price if right, I might grab that. But, I think the most likely is a Flow and then the upgrade kit to connect it to the PC. This makes it the same as one of the trainers above, and costs the same .. but you get the Flow's controller too, so can run it without the PC or sell the PC connection kit on it's own if you never use it.

I still cannot see any info about a new model, yet the Flow is a few years old, and surely they've been developing new technology.

Thanks for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    You raise a great point about getting a standalone + PC upgrade so that you can use it without a PC. Worthwhile benefit IMO.

Is a Flow upgraded to i-magic or Cosmos upgraded to Fortius fully identical once upgraded? Missing out on anything (except steering frame on Fortius)? Same for a Bushido upgraded with PC? I assume the only thing you'd lose with the Bushido is the 'powering downhill' of the motor brake which I assume isn't really worth anything anyway?

On the other hand, can you order the Cosmos or Flow computer to make a Fortius or i-magic standalone?

Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I've got a Flow upgraded with the T1925.
    Its now identical to my friends fortius apart from the powering downhill function, but cost 50% less.
    The pc upgrade was much cheaper on one of the german website may have being bike24 around 150 and free shipping to the UK
    Plus it can still be used without the pc
    The Flow computer can be used with a Fortius

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybaboon
    The Flow computer can be used with a Fortius
    Very good news as I think I may have a Fortius coming for Christmas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I own a Tacx Fortius and while it is not what I would define as a quiet trainer, I do find it well suited for power based workouts. Keep in mind that the initial effort to setup Time/Watt based workouts is a bit time consuming due to the interface. Also, you would do weel to become better informed about the +/- of Tacx computer based trainers, especially the software and I suggest you visit the Tacx forums and budget an hour or two to read some of the threads regarding the latest version of the Tacx Trainer Software 3 which is the software that comes with the PC Upgrade.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    How are the RL videos working on Bushido? Is there a multiplayer function on it like Fortius.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    How are the RL videos working on Bushido? Is there a multiplayer function on it like Fortius.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zakyma
    Never used multi-player but in order to use RLV with Bushido, you will also need to purchase the PC UPgrade which includes Tacx Trainer Software 3.0. Assuming you have a computer with good specs and above average video card, then RLV's work great with TTS 3.4 (latest update). I suggest for more indepth questions about Tacx VR Trainers, you visit the Tacx User Forums.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Can't speak to the newer/fancier Tacx models but the Flow is super quiet compared to other trainers I've used.. it's a great trainer other then needing electrical power. Mine has been completely bulletproof for 7 years.

Tacx makes good stuff..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Had good workouts with my flow for five years now. Still, never sure if the wattage is correct. The whole calibration routine gets old. I figure I'm in the ballpark and get on with the workout.