Tour of The Gila

Mar 2003

Tour of The Gila

Has anyone here done the mens 3 race or higher before? What can i expect in terms of field strength, attacks, etc? Coming from boulder im pretty confident about my ability to go up hill, is the race usually decided on the climbs or sprints, breakaways etc?

Feb 2009
    The race is decided on the climbs, and there's quite a few of them. There is also the TT, but that shouldn't be the difference maker. If you can go uphill well, then you'll be in great shape. Last years Cat 3 winner lives in Boulder as well, maybe you know him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I think the wind can be a factor at times also.

Mar 2003

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cazdrvr
    I think the wind can be a factor at times also.
    What about Manbearpig? I've heard he's been known to roam those parts of the southwest and gobble up a racer now and then. I'm super cereal you guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    It's the Chupacabra that gets most :-) We just saw lots of splintered groups on the first two road stages. My team mate said it best, "I've never worked so hard to go 15 miles an hour down a 40 mph downhill."

Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cazdrvr
    It's the Chupacabra that gets most :-) We just saw lots of splintered groups on the first two road stages. My team mate said it best, "I've never worked so hard to go 15 miles an hour down a 40 mph downhill."
    Chupacabra.....is that like a mexican bigfooter?