Training with power.... realistic goals...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Training with power.... realistic goals...

I picked up a PowerTap a few weeks ago and did a threshold power test (as described in Racing and Training with a Power Meter) on Weds. My threshold power is right about 250-255. I'm 39, 5'10", 162 (fighting weight is low 150s).

My question is, with about 10-15 hours for training per week, how much can I realistically expect to increase my threshold power in the next 6 months? I know there are tons of variables, but I'm looking for ballpark estimates...

Feb 2004

Lots of info here....

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t310978.html
    It depends on your starting point/fitness and how you train.
    sm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

OK you've done the test...

Now get the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racin.../dp/1931382794

This will help explain a lot of things. ( I know I'm not answering your question - because no-one knows how much you can expect to improve)
    There is a lot of information to digest. I'd start reading here, as well:

http://groups.google.com/group/wattage

Improvements in FTP occur over time in response to training stimuli. Lot's of people start with working up to 2 X 20 at FTP and can track improvement with continued testing. If I understand correctly, you do have to progress to the 2 X 20 minutes at FTP by playing with the interval time, the interval goal wattage and the recovery between intervals. Also you need to pay particular attention to how much recovery overall is required to adapt and give you the improvement you're looking for. That's a lot of variable to keep track of without a coach.
    Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, first off, get yerself over to the power forum on cyclingforums. Super-knowledgeable folks there.

How much "headroom" you have to improve depends a lot on how trained you are now. In the best shape of your life, or lots of room to improve? My stats were identical to yours about three years ago, as a Cat 4 with two years of racing. In my first season training with power I got FT to 280, last year got it to 290, and right now I'm pretty sure I could do 300 for an hour. I've just been doing sweet spot stuff so far this season (do a search, I've written a cheat sheet for how to figure yours), so I'm hoping that with some VO2 max work as the season approaches I can push it to 310 or so. And I think that would really be the outer limit of my personal genetic potential.

Anyway back to your Q -- the answer is it depends.

Some guy
    Jul 2006
    You can do a ton of work with 10-15 hours a week. The biggest thing is going to be to make sure you rest enough. If you get that part of it right, you should see solid gains this year. But as the others suggest, read the book and check out the power forums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    ... thanks for all the info. It really helps. I was hoping I would be able to bust out to a FT 500, but I guess that is only for Lance...

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could bust out the 400 level since it sounds like it will be your first periodization program based off a power meter. Plus, you have some fast people with whom to ride.

At 10-15hrs/wk, your biggest problem will be motivation to do 10-15hrs/wk, especially if your weather is anything like here in Chicago. Second problem would be regulate your power since you'll realize that you were slacking on the intervals and going too hard on the base miles.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could bust out the 400 level since it sounds like it will be your first periodization program based off a power meter. Plus, you have some fast people with whom to ride.

At 10-15hrs/wk, your biggest problem will be motivation to do 10-15hrs/wk, especially if your weather is anything like here in Chicago. Second problem would be regulate your power since you'll realize that you were slacking on the intervals and going too hard on the base miles.
    I would be...
    Floyd's at 385... Michael Creed is at like 375w or so.
    Looking at it in terms of weight, someone at 400w, 150lb is putting out 5.88watts/kg, which is higher than Dave Zabriskie. Anyone getting over 5w/kg is really in the big leagues.
    -estone2
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by estone2
    I would be...
    Floyd's at 385... Michael Creed is at like 375w or so.
    Looking at it in terms of weight, someone at 400w, 150lb is putting out 5.88watts/kg, which is higher than Dave Zabriskie. Anyone getting over 5w/kg is really in the big leagues.
    -estone2
    Thanks for the catch, I meant 300w. I thought I raised it 50 watts, not 150...oops.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Thanks for the catch, I meant 300w. I thought I raised it 50 watts, not 150...oops.
    Oh, then I definitely agree with you.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair