Tucson Criterium # 1 of 3 - Race Report

Tucson Criterium # 1

Riders:

Tom T
    Jay
    Casey
    Max
    Tom D

Saguaro Velo made a great Cat 5 showing on Saturday for the first of 3 Criterium races known as the Tucson Criterium Series.

The Cat 5 racers started at 630 am, and had a race time of 25 minutes.

The race started off with the Saguaro Team quickly taking control of the peleton and setting a moderate pace. Team members positioned themselves at the front and mid front of the pack.

The first two laps were uneventful. As the second lap ended, the bell was rung signaling the start of a prime lap. I positioned myself into 3rd wheel as we rounded the first of 3 corners. As we approached the second corner I took a second wheel position and prepared for the leap. As we approached the third corner I took off from behind the first rider and entered the last corner at 30mph and sprinted the straightaway to capture the prime. Jay and an opponent were a bike length behind but couldnít catch, and the peleton was a good 50 meters behind. The sprint smoked me pretty good so I settled my pace back down and let the peleton catch up. This put Jay, Tom, and myself at the front with Tom Davis and Max still in the mix but farther back. It was at this point that we started to see some racers drop off the back.

The next several laps were uneventful, with all racers jockeying for position. The pace was swift averaging about 28mph. Jay was still mixing it up with another front-runner as they exchanged positions in the front. Several laps later the bell was rung again to signal another prime lap. I was still smoked so I opted to sit in for this one. Tom Thomas took an opportunity and positioned himself for the sprint as we rounded the second to last turn. Tom took off at the last turn and quickly sprinted to take the second prime of the race for Saguaro Velo. Good Job Tom!

The prime sprint was quickly wearing down some of the racers and we started to see a couple more start to drop back. A group was forming behind the peleton. I believe that at this point Tom Davis and Max took charge of this group and attempted to bridge back to the peleton.

It was about this time that ďsome guyĒ shot past the front group on the straight and Jay gave chase. Jay and this racer hooked up about 50 meters in front of the peleton and started jockeying for position. The race was close to closing. Tom Thomas attempted to bridge the gap between him (At the front of the peleton) and Jay. He wanted to help Jay fight this guy off and lead him out but Jay was to fast and Tom couldnít catch. I was to smoked to make the bridge so as I came around the last corner and the second to last lap the peleton lined up behind me for the straight away. I was rolling up the straight away and slammed on the brakes. This effectively slowed down the whole peleton and allowed Jay and his group another 50 meters now it was up to Jay to win his finish. Tom was close but hadnít made it to Jayís group yet. The last lap Jay fought his way and won the sprint to win the race for Saguaro Velo, Tom Thomas came in 7th; I followed with 10th, Max and Tom Davis in the 14 and 15 range (sorry guys I donít remember exactly)

In summary Saguaro Velo Cat 5ís represented the team well. Tom and Max, you guys soldiered through a fast tough race. Good job Tom on your patience and being smart enough to conserve your energy to last it through. Kudosí to Max for completing his first Criterium, great job Tom for your prime win and of course big clap for Jay who won for the team.

I apologize for this late entry, and if anyone sees anything that needs correction please feel free to add. This was one of the finest races I have experienced with the team. Great job everyone!! Canít wait for the next one.

Hats off to Scott Ellis as well who I believe was representing Saguaro Velo in the cat 3 race. He ran a great race and I believe he positioned 12 (Iím guessing here as I donít have the results)

Casey

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnygun
    I was to smoked to make the bridge so as I came around the last corner and the second to last lap the peleton lined up behind me for the straight away. I was rolling up the straight away and slammed on the brakes.
    Dude.

Yeah, that's effective to slow everybody down. It's also effective to send some folks to the hospital. If you want to block, softpedal at the front, but don't slam on the brakes.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndoggy
    Dude.

Yeah, that's effective to slow everybody down. It's also effective to send some folks to the hospital. If you want to block, softpedal at the front, but don't slam on the brakes.

heh - Slamming on the brakes was an analogy. I wrote the report in haste and neglected to elaborate that analogy. I will do the best I can to write my next report on a level that will encompass your mindset for particularities - my apologies BTW If its not clear yet, I did indeed soft pedal.

Have a nice day

JG

May 2004
    Johnnygun, you said you slammed on your brakes. Since your a cat 5, Shawndoggy was just trying to give you some advice, so you wouldn't be dispised on the local racing scene. It's the sort of thing you could do at the pro/1/2 level (a brake check) but definitely not down at cat 5. People racing for the first time, generally don't realize what an integral part of racing, braking is. The way you write you sound like you think you're a cat 2 already, I thought you literally slammed on your brakes too. I'm not trying to diss you and your team, but why are you guys all still cat 5's. You are all moving up to 4 pretty soon, right? I just think it's a little unfair to bring that level of teamwork to a race comprised heavily of unattached citizen-type racers. Cat 5 is a place to learn pack handling skills, cat 4 is the place to learn teamwork and strategy. The level of competition at the cat 4 level is much more realistic, compared to higher categories. You're going up against people with several years of racing experience. You guys sound you have a good team and work together well, which is not the case for most cat 4 racers. There's no reason to stick around cat 5 for any more than 10 races. Just my opinion.

May 2004

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by kingfurby
    I'm not trying to diss you and your team, but why are you guys all still cat 5's.
    In answer to your question.

I am the only one on our team that has 10 mass start races in. I will be moving up soon. I have just gotten my fitness level where it needs to be to hold out in the crits. Jay, our team member who won this race, raced for the first time. He races mountain bikes and this was his first road race. We ride alot together and we practice tactics on those rides so we came to the races a little more prepared than most I guess.

I didnt mean to come across as arogant or condecending. We are all very new. I just wanted to contribute our acomplishments as I am very proud of how we did.

JG