What...no race reports this week?
    SRV
    Quadrogenarian

What...no race reports this week?

I enjoy reading the reports on Monday and Tuesday. Anybody? I'm not a racer, so I can only participate vicariously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I worked at the hospital and got my ass kicked so badly that I reminisced about the races the previous weekends where I also got my ass kicked.

waterproof*
    I got 4th in the Tuesday nighter. $8 cash prize money, baby.
    * not actually a Rock Star

SRV
    Quadrogenarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I got 4th in the Tuesday nighter. $8 cash prize money, baby.
    Ah, yes. The quest for the ultimate prize.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got 2nd in a local TT series. Could have beaten the #1, but my TT bike is in the shop, although I would have still gotten 2nd if a friend of mine didn't get a flat.

Slightly Opinionated
    No racing, but my next race got seriously cut down because of "last minute bridge construction" and I got wait listed. Bastids.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's mine.......

I did my 1st mountain bike TT this past Saturday. Some friends invited me to race even though I'm a roadie. I've never even ridden my Mt bike off-road until I pre - rode the course the weekend before the race. On the drive out to my pre-ride, I had to stop at the service station to borrow an allen wrench from the master certified mechanic to remove my kickstand. All $200 Walmart Mtn bikes come with a kickstand.

The course was quite technical (lots of rocks and exposed tree roots) with several short steep climbs and plenty of forrest. I took it easy thru the pre-ride as I was nervous being clipped into the pedals on such rough terrain. (Had to have clipless pedals and shoes shipped overnight from Nashbar). Overall the pre-ride went well.

Race day I show up with my $200 33lb Walmart mtn bike, everyone else shows up with their $2000 - $9000 Giants, S-works, Treks, 29ers, full suspensions, CF, you name it it was there. It was kind of fun roll'n around on my cheap bike with no expectations or pressures to perform, just there to have fun and get some exercise.

So I get to the start line and take my place (I'm about 16th of 25). It's a TT so 2 riders start every 30secs. I exchange a few words with the guy starting next to me as we glance at each others bikes. He's riding an Sworks 29er.......I'm not. We get the go light and ride off side by side through a field heading to the forrest trail head. The 1st 2.5 miles of trail are all up hill. I take to the trail ahead of him and soon come upon other riders slowly working their way up the long climb. I carefully begin to past a couple of them, and then later a couple more. I'm thinking, hey this is kind of FUN!! Upon reaching the top of the 2.5mi climb I was about ready to bonk. Having spent so much energy trying to past riders on a rocky/rooty single track, I had to slow down dramatically just to regain my strength and calm my heart rate.

The last 8 miles of the course were fast rocky descents and steep short climbs, with a .25 mile sprint back through the field to the finish.

Well, I finished in 5th place.........I was happy with my performance for a noob and I couldn't be more pleased with my $200 Walmart bikes performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador-IV
    Well, I finished in 5th place.........I was happy with my performance for a noob and I couldn't be more pleased with my $200 Walmart bike's performance.
    That's Heresy!

j/k.

I have a friend who rides and competes in MTN and CX mainly with pretty top end stuff. He has aspirations to show up at a race (where no one knows him) in overall cut-offs and a walmart full suspension.
    "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV
    I enjoy reading the reports on Monday and Tuesday. Anybody? I'm not a racer, so I can only participate vicariously.
    You may not want to have participated vicariously in my race.

Raced in some of the worst conditions of my life. Travelled to Northwestern MA to do the Quabbin Reservoir Race. 65 mile race which started with snow, sleet and wind (in late April!). Temps in the high 30's without the wind chill. The neutral downhill was absolute torture. I was shaking and soaked through in the first 3 miles and there was rain or sleet the entire race. I've never seen so many racers riding the other way after abandoning the race. This was truly a race of attrition. In my field around 90 registered, 65 started, and only 22 actually finished. I would have abandoned early but was riding well and knew I was in the group that would contain the top finishers. I fell off the lead group past the halfway point (can't remember exactly where), so I was committed to finish or get picked up by SAG wagons and State troopers (most were full with riders already!!). Ironically, it was the downhills that got to me, not the hills. The combination of shaking so much on the downhills (way colder) and lack of brakes caused me to ease up which created gaps. You can only close so many gaps before you get spit out the back over 65 miles. By the end I could not shift 100% of the time with my left hand as it continually went numb from the cold. My booties were saturated (as was the rest of me) and must have added several pounds to my weight. I'd like to believe I'm stronger for racing through these conditions, but I'm not so sure. We'll see.
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

LOOK FREAK
    i dont have another race until may 14 :crying: i'm in week 8 of TCTP next week and i guess i'll have to burn my 'peak fitness' weekend doing the 3state3mountain challenge in chatanooga. oh well..at least we'll get to see if i made a mistake not getting a compact crank!
    1999 Gary Fisher Procaliber Red/Yellow SRAM X9
    2001 LOOK KG281 Blue/Black 10sp Ultegra
    2002 Specialized Allez Red 9sp Ultegra
    Quintana Roooooo! TT bike (dura ace friction)
    2008 LOOK 586 Mondrian 10sp Ultegra

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by CHT

Raced in some of the worst conditions of my life. Travelled to Northwestern MA to do the Quabbin Reservoir Race. 65 mile race which started with snow, sleet and wind (in late April!). Temps in the high 30's without the wind chill. The neutral downhill was absolute torture. I was shaking and soaked through in the first 3 miles and there was rain or sleet the entire race. I've never seen so many racers riding the other way after abandoning the race. This was truly a race of attrition. In my field around 90 registered, 65 started, and only 22 actually finished. I would have abandoned early but was riding well and knew I was in the group that would contain the top finishers. I fell off the lead group past the halfway point (can't remember exactly where), so I was committed to finish or get picked up by SAG wagons and State troopers (most were full with riders already!!). Ironically, it was the downhills that got to me, not the hills. The combination of shaking so much on the downhills (way colder) and lack of brakes caused me to ease up which created gaps. You can only close so many gaps before you get spit out the back over 65 miles. By the end I could not shift 100% of the time with my left hand as it continually went numb from the cold. My booties were saturated (as was the rest of me) and must have added several pounds to my weight. I'd like to believe I'm stronger for racing through these conditions, but I'm not so sure. We'll see.
    dang... I would not even have showed up for conditions like that...
    * not actually a Rock Star

LOOK FREAK
    come on creaky..this is what makes racing fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyvram
    come on creaky..this is what makes racing fun.
    If you upgrade and the distance of the RR and crit times increase, it's not so much fun.

SRV
    Quadrogenarian
    You, sir, are correct.

Pack Fodder.
    Missed my start time for tonight's hill climb by a minute. Blew up on the first 14% ramp trying to catch the group (not possible or a particularly good idea). Did the remainder of the "race" completely shot. Then rode down and did the climb again as punishment. Not a shining moment in my racing career.

It's not part of a points series or stage race, so it really doesn't matter in any real way. I can only improve from here, and I'll likely make all sorts of progress the next time this hill climb rolls around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

I was there, too. I drove 2 hours to get there! I thought there was a loop, there were so many riders going back (after abandoning) I know what you mean about the weight of soaked clothing, every once in awhile, i'd make a fist, and a cup of water would be squeezed out of my glove. I made it to the base of the 5k finish with the leaders, or survivors, of my group, then it was cramp time. I had nothing left, anyway. Was so numb & worn out, it took me almost 30 min to peel off layer after layer of clothing. I actually had to stop and rest between layers. Did the race help me? I don't know. Like I told myself that morning...I paid for it, I had nothing else to do...I needed the racing hours. I guess since I survived unhurt & healthy, it turned out alright.

LOOK FREAK
    alaska--thats my second most hated recurring dream behind waking up late and missing a test..arriving at start line a minute late because like u said..its pretty much over before it starts