When did you stop riding outdoors this year
    Cycling

When did you stop riding outdoors this year

It just started to snow 5 minutes ago. Unless it get above 45 degrees that it for my out door riding.
    How about you guys,,,,,when do you stop

Blah, Blah, Blah
    I never really stop riding outside. We try to get out at least once a week. In New Hampshire when the snow falls and the snowmobiles pack down the trails, we do night rides. They pack up like concrete.
    I won't ride out if it is under 20 degrees and 25 or under I need some motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling
    It just started to snow 5 minutes ago. Unless it get above 45 degrees that it for my out door riding.
    Stop??? What do you mean, STOP???

Let's see, last tuesday and thrusday I did endurance rides on my way home from work. I arrived home at 8:30 pm each night. Night riding is the sh!t. On Saturday, it was 25* when I started at dawn with chemical hand warmers in my gloves. 105 miles later, I was home ready for an afternoon snack.

Sorry, there's no stopping!!!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

chamois creme addict

Stop?

Here in the greater Vancouver, Canada region, we can ride pretty much year round on the road. Our weather is much like Seattle, wet but reasonably warm. When won't I go out? When it is icy, that is pretty much the only thing that stops me. This past Saturday it was 4 Celsius and raining and I was out there. So were many others. Fenders and mudflaps are a big help.

However, there is wet snow falling right now as I type....

50ft. Queenie
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes
    I never really stop riding outside. We try to get out at least once a week. In New Hampshire when the snow falls and the snowmobiles pack down the trails, we do night rides. They pack up like concrete.
    I won't ride out if it is under 20 degrees and 25 or under I need some motivation.

oh come on! you are makin the us wimpy ones from NH look bad by sitting on the trainer already!!! haha. asthma really kicks in during the winter weather. i need motivation under 45..... under 40, i need a gun to my head.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

I don't

... But then, I'm not a "guy", so that may make a difference.

Did a 'cross race last weekend in 25F and in the midst of a snowstorm that gave us 6" all told. I was out riding yesterday in summerweight knickers and a single layer fleece jersey, got back and realised it never got above 40. The strength of the sun at high altitude makes a big difference, though.

I'll ride on the road as long as there's no ice on the streets. Coldest ever was a road race in Ohio that was 8 degrees F at start time, it warmed up to 15 for the day, that was downright uncomfortable. I'll ride the 'cross bike so long as I have enough traction to keep the rubber side down.

This neck of the woods is pretty decent for winter riding. It does snow here, particularly mid-Feb through April, but usually the sun comes out the next day. Then it's warm enough, even if the ambient air temp is below freezing, that you're still good to go.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

hi, I'm Larry

I agree with the 20 degree mark

I went out a couple of times last year below 20 but got mild frostbite. i'm looking at a couple of changes in gear for this winter that may get me into the colder weather. First on the list is IP AMFIB front bib tights.

I don't hesitate to get out if the temperatures above 20 and the roads are somewhat cleared of snow. If there is a lot of snow I trade the bike for my XC skiis.

Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes

Banned forever.....or not
    I was done mid November. Probably won't get outside until mid Feb. It's really hard to push yourself, when it's 35 degrees and overcast. I much prefer to be in a 35 degree garage, in shorts and old jersey (after warm-up).
    It's hard, in December, when it's 35 degrees to do an outside 90 minute tempo workout.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

FTMD

hit or miss

Road bike sees the rollers during the week and if it's acceptable outside I'll do a weekend ride. The mountain bike sees regular night rides - probably 2x a week.

I neglect the mtb in the spring/summer, so by this time of year I'm really ready to ride trails anyway.

Brian Sather
    Aug 2004

Studs?

Are you crazies running studs on your tires in the ice or snow? We got 8 inches last week, but I don't mind training indoors on the trainer. The cars are my main concern riding when there is ice/snow. I would like to know what types of bikes (and tires) you are riding and the best places to ride safely in the snow.

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Still getting out there on the weekends. Cold is tolerable, but I can't get motivated for cold and dark at 5:00 a.m. So I generally get out on the weekends. If its icy, I also stay inside (I've learned my lesson on this one). During the week I generally ride indoors (trainer/rollers) or lift weights. If I recall correctly, I'm in the same general area as you (Westchester). This weekend there were plenty of cyclist outside.

I'm generally good for 2-3 hours. Somewhere closer to 2 hours my feet start feeling the cold. I also find that I don't have the same stamina...not sure if my body trying to keep warm has something to do with it or mentally I'm just not committed to pick up the pace.
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

Windrider (Stubborn)
    "I don't

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycling

... But then, I'm not a "guy", so that may make a difference"

Thanks......I really needed that. I just spewed coffee allover my monitor.

Here I am expecting some "words of wisdom" from a training guru and i get this.

Thanks. ROFLMAO

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member

Every week....

We don't ride in the rain, sleet or snow, but will try to ride at least 50m on Sunday (40m last Sat. & 53.3m yesterday), and 25-30 mph winds take some fun out of it, but we'll still shoot for 35m.. I ride the rollers during the week nights. Combined 35mph winds & 35 degrees can be considered my return to the rollers until a better day.....but if the sun is bright, we'll reconsider and clip-in....

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I have not stopped, just slowed

W.PA weather has been cooperative on the weekends last few weeks. Upper 30's to 50's, next to no wind, some sunshine.....I have been riding a Friel plan where I do mainly low intensity rides for another few weeks to get to the point of building base. I put on the woolies and keep my head covered, and have had some very enjoyable rides. During the week, I do 3 trainer rides, outside in the garage with a light layer of clothing.

If there is any precip, I'm not going out, I'll do a trainer ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by summerville
    Are you crazies running studs on your tires in the ice or snow? We got 8 inches last week, but I don't mind training indoors on the trainer. The cars are my main concern riding when there is ice/snow. I would like to know what types of bikes (and tires) you are riding and the best places to ride safely in the snow.
    Studs...We don't need no stinkin studs!!!!

Just kiddin. I have studded tires but have to admit, when they are required, my rides become more of an act of defiance than anything else. I have MTB tires that I put screws through. They are pretty cool. Last year I picked up a pair of CX tires with studs.

I'll use the MTB tires and just tool around town while just the plows are out. It's a blast to ride up to your friend's house on the other side of town while he's shoveling snow and freezing. They work best on packed snow so empty roads in the PM are a blast.

I got the CX tires for commuting but found them to be more hassle than they are worth. If there is ice in the morning, it will be gone for the PM commute. If there is enough that it will last throughout the day, I have traffic to worry about. I may be able to handle the roads but vehicles are another story. Drivers aren't that great in Jersey when it comes to snow/ice. They just put it in 4-wheel and act the same. That is until they realize they can't stop. The tires are crazy heavy and roll lousy. It's easier to ride gingerly, avoid the ice or just skip a day IMO. If the snow is over a few inches they loose effectiveness fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    From now through the end of Feb. I will probably get outside for 60-70 percent of my training rides. Here in SW NC the weather can be fairly mild in the winter. When it does [email protected] out though, I have to decide whether riding outside will be as productive as indoors on the computrainer.

Those of you that train in the snow or freezing cold are tougher than me for sure.

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Thanks......I really needed that. I just spewed coffee allover my monitor.

Here I am expecting some "words of wisdom" from a training guru and i get this.

Thanks. ROFLMAO

Len
    Bottoms up!

My coach did the same to me earlier with some snide comment on the NC forum. I'm merely passing it along.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gonna be in the 60's all this week. Lot's of good riding ahead for this part of the world.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Sunday at 3:00pm

When did you stop riding outdoors this year?
    Our ride finished up Sunday afternoon. Will be out again Thursday night on the mountain bike.

General guideline is on the road above 28 degrees as long as there is not ice. Mountain bike above 20 degrees. The more time spent riding indoors the lower the temperature threshold goes.

Kold Weather Keys Are:
    Proper Attitude
    Proper Clothes (layers)
    Scheduled Rides
    Riding Partners that expect you to be there at a specific time or they will razz you for being a wussy all next week. (My wife and son do that as effectively as my teamates).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

stop riding outside?

I ride outside all year round here in Colo. I'll be on my bike outside unless it's below 30 and I also avoid days where it would be icy. Otherwise I"m out there. beats the hell out of boring rides on the trainer. Think of all the calories you're burning just trying to keep warm?!?

Sep 2004
    I ride just as much during the winter. I don't ride off road as much. I haven't been off road since mid. Oct. I bought a new road bike after my previous one was stolen about 2 years ago. I'm having a blast exploring all the backroads around Hartford and getting to know my new ride. I'll get out the mtb once or twice. It has a lot of beat compontents, like the shifters, rear derailleur, cables and housings, brake levers, bottom bracket, large and small ring, pedal axels, the front rim is looks like )( , and the pedals are on the road bike as well, even though the axles have a ton of play in them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here in GA, we ride outside year round. I try to ride outside as long as possible until it falls below 45 degrees outside or gets dark before 6:30. Since I don't get home until after 5:00, I will ride my trainer during the week usually starting the first of Dec. Twice a week, I go to a windtraining class led by a local Cat. 2 rider. The other night I either do an urban assault mtb ride or a recovery ride on the trainer. We always ride outside on the weekends unless it is below 50 and raining. I don't have to worry very much about snow.

Cycling

well...

looks like itll be 60 to day.(a great change from 20 yesterday) i guesss that means im going out.

Dec 2004

I just started again

Stopped racing a couple years ago. The wife and I had a couple of babies. A couple of weeks ago she asked me when I was going to start racing again. What? Uh excuse me while I start training now! My motto these days while I'm slaving away on the mag trainer is Base Base Base.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't, and won't. There is no winter in San Diego (I even rode in the rain last weekend).

The funn thing, and the reason for this post, is that there are a lot less people out even here. I think that is funny. I normally see 5-10 people on my lunch ride. Yesterday I went farther and didn't see anyone.