Zyrtec vs Claritin-D?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Zyrtec vs Claritin-D?

Anyone use/try Zyrtec?

Does it keep your HR elevated like Claritin-D?

I've been riding some short rides (not a lot of pollen yet) (20 miles), without Claritin-D, and definitely notice my heart rate returns to normal when stopped or easing up. With Claritin-D, it will remain about 130..

Getting ready to hit some 100 milers when the weather breaks 70+...but curious as to this new Zyrtec drug which is now OTC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

D is they key here.

The D in Claritin D refers to an added decongestant. In this case it is pseudoephedrine, also known as Sudafed. Pseudoephedrine is a stimulant and can increase HR. If heart rate is a concern, you could always try the non D version of Clairitin or Zyrtec. I've used Claritin, Claritin D, Zyrtec and Zyrtec D and now only use Zyrtec because of the stimulant effect of the pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine cleans my sinuses out, but makes me jittery. The Zyrtec also seems to be more effective in my case than Claritin, but effectiveness varies by person.
    Last edited by fastascanbe; 04-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Zyrtec may casue more drowsiness

If you have been taking Claritin-D & it has been working for u, then stick with non D Claritin. Zyrtec is known to cause more drowsiness than Claritin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I take zyrtec and haven't noticed any increased drowsiness. I take it the night before a ride/race and feel great in the am.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bchy
    If you have been taking Claritin-D & it has been working for u, then stick with non D Claritin. Zyrtec is known to cause more drowsiness than Claritin.

Just wondering how not having the HR come down during rest moments is affecting me.

Although Zyrtec + some caffeine might keep the drowsy away ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Supposedly Zyrtec is supposed to work for not having hangovers, something about helping to bring water to the brain.

Disclaimer, never tried it myself.

Life Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    I take zyrtec and haven't noticed any increased drowsiness. I take it the night before a ride/race and feel great in the am.
    Your experience with side-effects is only your experience. The experience of others will vary. If he's been good with Claritin-D, it makes sense to first drop the -D before attempting another medicine entirely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    Just wondering how not having the HR come down during rest moments is affecting me.
    I had never had a problem with 'seasonal' alergies until the end of last year and decided to try 12-Hour Claritin D and like you, noticed among other things the increase in HR while training. While I have not tried the non-D form of either medication, I do know that from a personal standpoint, while indoor training - aka running on the treadmill at the gym - benefitted, my road riding training/racing performance suffered. Data from my SRM indicated my HR was between 10-20 beats higher after taking Claritin D in the 12-hours prior to the training or race event than without it. Also, during the course of a race, the higher HR was an added liability in that it limited the ease with which I recovered from hard efforts/jumps/attacks. While usinig Claritin D, there simply was less 'head room between the HR normally observed for the type of activity and LTHR! Also, on days I would use Claritin D, usually early in the morning, after a full work day and 2-3 hour training ride late in the day, I would still feel a bit 'wired' by the time I went to bed which results in a somewhat restless nights sleep. Although the spring allergens seem less prevalent now, should the need arise, I am going to try using the regular Zyrtec.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

waterproof*
    I've tried them both over the years, plus just about everything else I could find. Finally, thank God, I seem to have mostly outgrown my seasonal allergies.

I surely do _not_ miss those days, when it felt like the whole front of my face was inflamed and nothing would stop it.

But, when I was taking OTC's, I never needed them while riding. No matter how full-blast the attack was, once I got on the bike and started warming up, everything cleared up and tended to stay that way for several hours after the ride.

* not actually a Rock Star

Lexicon Devil
    In about a week, I'm going to start my Zyrtec regimen, as I have for the past couple of years. I don't use the decongestent stuff (but I do keep it on hand, just in case), and I've never had any issues with training, strength, recovery, etc.

Claritin does NOT work for me, at all. It used too, but it gradually became ineffectual. Weird.

RoadBikeReview Member

you dirty...

doper, you.
    Not banned yet.

Game on, b*tches!
    Not my experience. Zyrtec works great for me, 'cept I feel like a zombie, even if I take it at night. My daughter takes it with no ill effects. Affects different people in different ways. Claritin (generic-loratadine) works OK for ME. If you have success w/ Claritin D I'd try the straight Claritin. If you need something for decongestant, see your Doc and get maybe a nasal decongestant like Flonase or similar. That's what I do. Avoids the pseudephed "high".
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I've tried them both over the years, plus just about everything else I could find. Finally, thank God, I seem to have mostly outgrown my seasonal allergies.

I surely do _not_ miss those days, when it felt like the whole front of my face was inflamed and nothing would stop it.

But, when I was taking OTC's, I never needed them while riding. No matter how full-blast the attack was, once I got on the bike and started warming up, everything cleared up and tended to stay that way for several hours after the ride.

I do get some minor exercised induced asthma on the long rides in my polluted area (Washington, DC)... just trying to be able to breath after a ride without having to cough or take mini breaths.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh
    doper, you.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by threesportsinone
    Supposedly Zyrtec is supposed to work for not having hangovers, something about helping to bring water to the brain.

Disclaimer, never tried it myself.
    From experience...this is not true. lol.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I take an RX of Allegra year round. no HR issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram
    Not my experience. Zyrtec works great for me, 'cept I feel like a zombie, even if I take it at night.
    Got a 5-pack of Zyrtec last night and took one before going to sleep and have to agree that it does work but this morning I was feeling very sluggish (unusual for me) which made my 1-hour recovery ride on the trainer this morning rather tedious but no HR issues to speak of. Think I have tried the non 'D' Claritin in the past but cannot remember whether or not I experienced any effects similar to Zyrtec.
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    I take an RX of Allegra year round. no HR issues.
    So the psuedophedrine probably does at least in some cases here, maintain higher HR and probably blood pressure too..

I just wonder if this clears out removal of lactic acid or wastes faster or slow.. or if your muscles are still producing waste at 140 HR instead of more easy 110 HR.. or if you never recover as quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditto on the sudafed causing elevated HR, in fact in my case it was even causing
    slightly high blood pressure. Since stopping, I feel so much better on harder rides
    I guess I would prefer to blow my nose more often than not recover my 'nominal'
    hr on the flats as readily.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Claritin-D

My biggest problem with Claritin-D was cramping on longer rides. I tried everything I could think of to address my cramping issues but nothing did much until I got off the Clairitin-D. Took a few weeks to get totally out of my system, but I can now ride long without fear of cramps.

Curious if anyone else experienced cramping issues with 'D' products.

Loved not having the constant runny nose, but have learned to live with it.

mike

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morkm
    My biggest problem with Claritin-D was cramping on longer rides. I tried everything I could think of to address my cramping issues but nothing did much until I got off the Clairitin-D. Took a few weeks to get totally out of my system, but I can now ride long without fear of cramps.

Curious if anyone else experienced cramping issues with 'D' products.

Loved not having the constant runny nose, but have learned to live with it.

mike
    My nose still clogs up in the cooler weather ( <70F?) and still drips..with or without C-D..

Never associated any cramping with Claritin-D.. just figured when it did happen - it was related to sodium levels - usually hot mountaineous climbing days for 13k ft.

I only take it when I ride for long rides - vs every day.. Still managed a minor cough after a 90 mile solo ride this past weekend.

Game on, b*tches!
    Well. It makes sense. Pseudephed dries you out so it would follow that you could cramp easier while using it.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I started on Claritin D this fall and have since also been more susceptible
    to cramping. Glad to hear that now that I am off, there may also be the possibility
    of relief from cramping as well. I am starting to think most people would be better off
    not taking as many prescription meds. Not ready to do the scientology thing yet, though.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phoehn9111
    I started on Claritin D this fall and have since also been more susceptible
    to cramping. Glad to hear that now that I am off, there may also be the possibility
    of relief from cramping as well. I am starting to think most people would be better off
    not taking as many prescription meds.
    It's no longer by prescription ;) OTC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Over the last week, I have found that if I take the Zyrtec (non-D variant) first thing in the morning, then there does not seem to be any ill effects in terms of HR/BP and no 'zombie' feelings the morning after. Although I still suffered a slight nasal drip but that more likely was due to the change in altitude from sea level to 5000' and cold and at times very windy conditions <50 degrees and 30-40+ mph winds last Thursday.
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast