1987 Specialized Allez - Dave Tesch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513

    1987 Specialized Allez - Dave Tesch

    My latest acquisition... A 1987 55cm Specialized Allez Team by Dave Tesch, courtesy of my brother in Denver. All original with 7 speed Dura Ace 7400 and in excellent condition along with the original catalog. What I am looking for is any additional information about these bikes that anyone can provide. As soon as I get more pictures, I'll post them. Does anyone else on this forum have one?





    Last edited by Quattro_Assi_07; 06-20-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    San Antonio, Texas

  2. #2
    What the Hell is going on
    Reputation: JaeP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,945
    I think Kevin Costner rode one in "American Flyers". HTH.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

  3. #3
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    that is one fine looking bike....I'm familar with the 3Rensho built Allez...I know Tesch built some too but not sure of how many
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,094
    Wasn't Dave Tesch another "spinoff" of that fertile seedbed that was the Southern California Masi venture of the late '70's?

  5. #5
    merckxman
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,116
    Found this from a 2006 sale:
    "Custom built by David Tesch, San marcos California. 1987. This was
    the only year that Dave Tesch built for Specialized. He worked for
    Masi California and Trek. He Later started his own company; Tesch
    cycles. He was a master frame builder. He passed away in 2003. This is
    a true classic. Constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. One of the finest Lugged steel
    framesets ever made."

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513

    More pictures...































    San Antonio, Texas

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    Found this from a 2006 sale:
    "Custom built by David Tesch, San marcos California. 1987. This was
    the only year that Dave Tesch built for Specialized. He worked for
    Masi California and Trek. He Later started his own company; Tesch
    cycles. He was a master frame builder. He passed away in 2003. This is
    a true classic. Constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. One of the finest Lugged steel
    framesets ever made."
    I agree with everything in your statement except mybe that last sentence. I guess it is considered a very nice steel frame... but one of the finest ever made? Sounds like marketing speak to me. The funny thing about this bike is that the gentleman that owned it, rode it very little. That is why it is in such pristine condition. His brother has a matching bike only one size smaller that he plans top sell. The condition of it is similar to mine. What are the odds that two brothers would buy the same bike and then never ride them, only to turn around over 20 years later and both sell them?
    Last edited by Quattro_Assi_07; 10-06-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    San Antonio, Texas

  8. #8
    Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Reputation: jupiterrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,083
    Wow, very nice. I like it a lot.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

  9. #9
    Adventure Seeker
    Reputation: Peanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,114
    That is one awesome looking bike! The only thing I'd change would be the bar tape. I love the looks of the Specialized from that era.
    I have a single track mind

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    Wow, very nice. I like it a lot.
    Thanks for the compliment. My brother had a friend who bought one back in 1987 or 1988 but it was stolen not long after he bought it. I don't remember anything about them back then as I was riding my Miyata Pro at the time. Sure glad my brother remembered it, as he was the one who found it on Craig's List and quickly sealed the deal before anyone else could buy it. I am looking forward to riding it later in the year when I return home. I have been told that Tesch frames tend to be a little on the aggressive side.
    San Antonio, Texas

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya
    That is one awesome looking bike! The only thing I'd change would be the bar tape. I love the looks of the Specialized from that era.
    Thanks, I agree. It does have that '80s look to it... not that that is a bad thing. I plan on putting a Turbo saddle on it and changing the handlebar tape to white, like it shows in the catalog picture. I had been wanting to build up a bike with early Dura Ace components, post AX/EX. I think this group (being that it is 7 speed) is the group that came out just after the AX/EX, is that correct?

    The frame has a lot of nice little details. From what I can gather, Specialized had the lugs and fork crown specially made for the frame. The paint job on it is fantastic. My brother said the decals are under the clear coat and you can't even tell that they are even decals. Almost like they were painted on. I wonder who did the paint jobs on these frames? Does anyone know who did paint work for Tesch at this time?
    San Antonio, Texas

  12. #12
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,473
    absolutely beautiful bike......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    76
    cleaner than my 2009 road bike,,, very nice

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,092
    That is in pristine shape. Excellent find.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31
    I'd love to hear about how that bike rides, weight, etc.. It looks pretty similar to the lower end steel allez's of that time, tight geometry and perhaps steeper than average head angle. I really like the way my old allez handles, but I bet it feels like a tank compared to this one.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    absolutely beautiful bike......
    Thanks Dave. I know it is not Japanese and not red but then again, I already have one like that (Univega with Superbe Pro). At least it is not another blue Miyata! I think 4 of those is my limit. This is definitely my last purchase. Of course I still need to finish building up that Pinarello Montello with C-Record. Then that will definitely be my last!
    San Antonio, Texas

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: dmar836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    549
    Bella!! I think anything Tesch laid his hands on is above board - certainly not lower end. The lugs look hand-filed (thinned) from here and I bet he wouldn't build a bike if he didn't have that liberty. Even a Walmart frame will ride fine for many miles but it's the hand-fit and finish that sets these bikes apart - regardless of livery or "brand". Schwinn put out some great stuff at the same time with a similar finish. But that Tesch decal that will keep that a collectible and relatively rare bike.
    I like your plan for it. Also I recommend sharing the Tesch history to those who acknowledge your "old bike", and ride the crap out of it!
    Dave
    KC
    Forget the smile. Just give me the service!
    http://retrobikerestorations.blogspot.com/

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro_Assi_07
    Thanks, I agree. It does have that '80s look to it... not that that is a bad thing. I plan on putting a Turbo saddle on it and changing the handlebar tape to white, like it shows in the catalog picture. I had been wanting to build up a bike with early Dura Ace components, post AX/EX. I think this group (being that it is 7 speed) is the group that came out just after the AX/EX, is that correct?

    The frame has a lot of nice little details. From what I can gather, Specialized had the lugs and fork crown specially made for the frame. The paint job on it is fantastic. My brother said the decals are under the clear coat and you can't even tell that they are even decals. Almost like they were painted on. I wonder who did the paint jobs on these frames? Does anyone know who did paint work for Tesch at this time?
    That bike is in phenomenal condition. Yes, Dura Ace 7400 - the very first being the indexed 6 speed - followed the less than successfull AX group. It was the group that got me and a lot of others at the time off Campy (in my case temporarily.) Great stuff even if Hickey agrees with me.

    As to the paint, Brian Bayliss, Joe Bell, and Jim Cunningham (CyclArt) were also "spinoffs" of that Masi, San Marcos, Dave Moulton, northern Dan Diego County hotbed of the late '70's through the '80's. No telling who did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of them.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    That bike is in phenomenal condition. Yes, Dura Ace 7400 - the very first being the indexed 6 speed - followed the less than successfull AX group. It was the group that got me and a lot of others at the time off Campy (in my case temporarily.) Great stuff even if Hickey agrees with me.

    As to the paint, Brian Bayliss, Joe Bell, and Jim Cunningham (CyclArt) were also "spinoffs" of that Masi, San Marcos, Dave Moulton, northern Dan Diego County hotbed of the late '70's through the '80's. No telling who did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of them.
    Thanks Richard. Yes, the bike is in wonderful condition. The original owner says he has barely ridden it over the years. I am looking forward to putting some miles on it in the years to come. I do have bikes with both Dura Ace EX and AX and my recollection is that the EX came out about 1979 and was followed by the AX around 1981. How long did the EX survive? Did it eventually evolve into the DA7400? I know the AX fizzled out around 1984 or so.

    I wish I could pin down who exactlyy painted the frame. Maybe if I contacted Specialized they would know? Thanks again for the information.
    San Antonio, Texas

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velomateo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    208
    Love your bike. I was a aware of the 3Rensho Allez, but didn't know Dave had worked with Specialized. My old roommate raced/crashed a Tesch 101. I always check the Allez frames when they come up for sale, now I'll have to check for the Team also. BTW, I am the guy who sold you the Univega/Miyata you mentioned earlier in the thread. Enjoy the new ride.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Quattro_Assi_07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by velomateo
    Love your bike. I was a aware of the 3Rensho Allez, but didn't know Dave had worked with Specialized. My old roommate raced/crashed a Tesch 101. I always check the Allez frames when they come up for sale, now I'll have to check for the Team also. BTW, I am the guy who sold you the Univega/Miyata you mentioned earlier in the thread. Enjoy the new ride.
    I enjoy all my rides and they all get time on the road when I am home. A different bike for each day! The Specialized Allez Team will be no different. The Univega Competizione is a very nice bike and essentially on the same level as my Miyata Pro but I wanted it due to the fact that it has a Superbe Pro Group. I've always wanted a Superbe Pro bike and the fact that it was built by Miyata was just a bonus. It's my only red bike but I don't hold that against it! I love the "fastback" style seat stays. A very pretty bike with a beautifully done but not flashy paint job. I think all Miyata made frames had paint jobs back then that were heads-and-tails above the Italian makes. The one Miyata that I have that is missing from the picture, is my KOGA-Miyata Proracer. Looks like a cross between my Pro and Team Miyatas with DA EX components. Oh, I also have a 1990 Miyata Team but that is a retro-mod, having DA 7700 components, so technically not vintage specific.




    Here it is with its Miyata cousins...












    San Antonio, Texas

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,158
    Great looking bike! Much more elegant than the two-wheeled billboards that Specialized sells now.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fivethumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    695
    The Specialized is a beautiful bike. I am very envious. The other bikes are very cool as well. That point in time, in regards to cycling, was a special time. I miss it.

  24. #24
    Lexicon Devil
    Reputation: Doctor Who's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    961
    Holy crap, that bike is beautiful.

    That paintjob is spectacular, but as a child of the '80s, I grew up lusting after all things bright and fluorescent.

  25. #25
    JML
    JML is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JML's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    92
    I have an old Bicycle Guide issue with several pages about Tesch's frames and early career. If you want a scanned copy, let me know.
    1984 3Rensho SR Export Road & Campy NR/SR Grouppo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.