1988 Bianchi Superleggera - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Here are the parts I have assembled so far. Still need a rear hubIMG_1891.JPG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got the frame stripped this past weekend. Other than a some skewer marks on the rear dropouts, it looks like it was built yesterdayIMG_1966.jpg

banned
    Jul 2013
    That looks great. When you refinish it, are you going to chrome-plate the lugs?

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnla View Post
    Funny that you guys mentioned Velo Orange. I made the decision to go that route a few days back and ordered one. It arrived yesterday and it is a beauty.
    That's great. I think I may get that instead of the White Industries, which I had my eye on, but frankly don't think my bike warrants that kind of expense. I need some wuss gearing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    That looks great. When you refinish it, are you going to chrome-plate the lugs?
    The nickel plating is in very good condition. I am going to polish the fork crown, drive side chain stay and drop outs. The engravings on the drop outs are still nice and sharp. They should polish up nicely

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not had much time to work on my bike. My wife had hip surgery last month and I had to move mom to a nursing home. But, I have put a few hours in here and there and almost have the frame ready to paint. I polished the fork crown which was investment cast stainless steel. The It has shined up very nicely as did the chain stay on the drive side and the drop outs on the frame. Going to paint the fork first to practice. The frame is nickel plated. I am using Rustoleum Automotive primer. Should I rough up the surfaces to be painted with 1000 grit sandpaper or Scotchlok to give it a little grip? I was going to go with two coats of primer. The base coat and clear coat are Sherwin Williams Automotive. I have read that I should use at least 4 coats of base and 3 of clear. Bought a touch up spray gun and a,mbuying a compressor this weekend. Wish me luck. Recommendations welcomed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First snag on this build. The bike has a braze on derailleur mount on the front. I installed the Velo Orange crankset just to see how it was going to look. Did not work out too well. I am not going to able to lower the derailleur enough to use the crankset. So I am going to have to go with the 53-39 Campy Chorus crank that came with the bike. It is a little scratched up, but I should be able to polish it up and use it. I could cut the mounting tab off and go with a clamp on derailleur but the bike is too nice to start carving on it. Don't want to add an extension or anything like that either. Oh well, I have a crank for a future project.
    Last edited by bigjohnla; 06-07-2016 at 09:08 AM.

banned
    Jul 2013
    First snag on this build. The bike has a braze on derailleur mount on the front. I installed the Velo Orange crankset just to see how it was going to look. Did not work out too well. I am not going to able to lower the derailleur enough to use the crankset. So I am going to have to go with the 53-39 crank Campy Chorus crank that came with the bike. It is a little scratched up, but I should be able to polish it up and use it. I could cut the mounting tab off and go with a clamp on derailleur but the bike is too nice to start carving on it. On want to add an extension or anything like that either. Oh well, I have a crank for a future project.
    Don't know if you saw (in the other thread) I had the identical problem. I tried putting on a clamp-on, but there wasn't enough room. For now I shimmed it, to cause the cage to tilt backward. It works, but it is supremely ugly.
    Last edited by wgscott; 04-25-2016 at 07:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know if you saw (in the other thread) I had the identical problem. I tried putting on a clamp-on, but there wasn't enough room. For now I shimmed it, to cause the cage to tilt backward. It works, but it is supremely ugly.
    I did see your post. That is I what prompted me to temporarily install the new crank. I was getting ready to start painting and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to come back and repaint it. To be honest, I kind of fell in love with the the Velo Orange crankset and bought it because it was on sale. I was starting to have second thought about it. The Campy crank was looking kind of sad sitting over in my spare parts bin.

banned
    Jul 2013
    How wide a chain can it tolerate? I think mine is a six-speed chain, and it is noisy on the inner ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never could get the rear dropouts quite straight with my homemade tool that I fashioned after one I saw on a You Tube video. I broke down and bought the ParK FFG-2 Frame and fork alignment gauge. It should arrive today. Once this is corrected I will finally get to start painting. Bought a compressor and dryer last week. Going to make a visqueen paint booth in my garage. I have gotten pretty good with rattle can paint jobs. This will be my first attempt with a "pro" setup. Hope to post some pictures soon. Wish me luck.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Good luck. I look forward to the pictures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another month and a half has gone by and I still have not painted my bike. At least I have a good reason. I have been riding a lot. Over 2000 miles since February. I have doodled a bit here and there. Polished up the seatpost and painted the flutes an Italian Tricolor. Disassembled the crank and polished yhe chain rings. The anodizing has been rubbed away pretty badly on the crank arms in a couple of spots. I am going to remove the anodizing and polish them. Going to lose the winged emblem but hoping to find someone who can engrave them on the arms. Disassembled the pedals, polished them up and ordered some decals from Cyclomondo in Australia. Going with early 60s style Red Bianchi decals. Similar to the ones they put on their neo-retro L'Eroica bikes that they have started selling to capture the nostalgia fever going on with old fart's like me.
    Hold your line and keep on pedaling

banned
    Jul 2013
    Here is how mine looks at the moment. I haven't tossed any of the parts, but this now has a Nitto stem and bars, Origin8 brake levers (the hoods had rotted off the Modolos, and I needed something less ergonomically sucky), and I put on the IRD crank, which then had the unanticipated consequence of making me replace the Campy rear derailleur (with an $18 Tiagra at the moment, while I try to decide if it needs a $130 Athena). It looks approximately ok if you don't read the label, but it bugs me. The ugly shim of the front derailleur can also be seen in the crank shot. Too many compromises, but the bike works.

I'm contemplating the pros and cons of getting it this:

Campagnolo Athena 11 Silver Triple Group Set - Athena - Campagnolo - Group Sets

a real member's member
    The anodizing has been rubbed away pretty badly on the crank arms in a couple of spots. I am going to remove the anodizing and polish them.
    i've done this countless times with great results. I always use the private label brand of aerosol oven cleaner.

strangely, only my seatposts get a bit cloudy over time. but a minute of polishing with a rag coated with some old Mother's residue corrects it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    First snag on this build. The bike has a braze on derailleur mount on the front. I installed the Velo Orange crankset just to see how it was going to look. Did not work out too well.
    Here is how mine looks ...
    yeah, that's quite a gap. but as long as it shifts ok and the chain doesn't rub when on the small ring and a smaller rear cog...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    yeah, that's quite a gap. but as long as it shifts ok and the chain doesn't rub when on the small ring and a smaller rear cog...
    The chain doesn't rub only because I shamefully jammed a washer in between the mount and the FD. Zoom in and have a look. I bought a FD clamp-mount converter hanger, but unfortunately it forced the FD just a little bit too low. My only hope is to buy a FD with a clamp-mount and hope it fits properly under the hanger, live with this, or get the Triple Athena group-set...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The chain doesn't rub only because I shamefully jammed a washer in between the mount and the FD. Zoom in and have a look. I bought a FD clamp-mount converter hanger, but unfortunately it forced the FD just a little bit too low. My only hope is to buy a FD with a clamp-mount and hope it fits properly under the hanger, live with this, or get the Triple Athena group-set...
    I was looking at this and had an idea, just don't know if it's a good one. It might take someone with a mill to accomplish so it may not be do-able.

I'm thinking a stepped extension bar, something that matches the curve of the mount. The extension would be bolted to the front of the derailleur mount and extend down below the mount. It would need to be stepped where it extends below the mount to be flush with the rear of the mount creating a longer lower mount. If it was long enough to bolt on at the top of the slot the hardware should be clear of the derailleur. The step would allow the derailleur to be mounted on the same plane and low enough to allow it to work as it should. The placement of the mounting bolt in the derailleur looks like it would allow the derailleur body to bolt to the extension and bridge the extension and the stock mount stiffening everything up, which is where the step comes into play. If the extension were painted with some celeste paint you would probably need to point it out for it to be noticed.

Like I said it would probably need to be done with a mill or by someone who has a drill press and is handy with files.

I hope I explained my idea clear enough to be understandable.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    guessing that washer lowered the fd just enough to make it work. good enough.

we usually don't use the small ring and the two smallest rear cogs on any bike anyway. more efficient gears are usually available.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I was looking at this and had an idea, just don't know if it's a good one. It might take someone with a mill to accomplish so it may not be do-able.

I'm thinking a stepped extension bar, something that matches the curve of the mount. The extension would be bolted to the front of the derailleur mount and extend down below the mount. It would need to be stepped where it extends below the mount to be flush with the rear of the mount creating a longer lower mount. If it was long enough to bolt on at the top of the slot the hardware should be clear of the derailleur. The step would allow the derailleur to be mounted on the same plane and low enough to allow it to work as it should. The placement of the mounting bolt in the derailleur looks like it would allow the derailleur body to bolt to the extension and bridge the extension and the stock mount stiffening everything up, which is where the step comes into play. If the extension were painted with some celeste paint you would probably need to point it out for it to be noticed.

Like I said it would probably need to be done with a mill or by someone who has a drill press and is handy with files.

I hope I explained my idea clear enough to be understandable.
    Wont let me rep you so I must say thanks manually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well the last couple of months have been insane. My mom passed away after a long battle with Alzheimers. Then the record deluge and flooding in Louisiana has reeked havoc on the area. Fortunately my home was not flooded but my shop took a about a 1/2" of water about six times. It smells like a musty old horse barn. The humidity level has hovered in the 80-90% range for about 2 months making it impossible to paint. It is finally starting to dry up and the humidity is supposed to go down this week. Once I get the frame painted, I can build her up and hopefully have it ready for all the spring cycling events. Really anxious to get it finished and start riding it.

a real member's member
    ^ damn. that's some serious stuff.

wrenching helps with pain. at least with mine...

your post #38 needs pics!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well one year later and I still have just a frame and a bunch of parts. The past few months have been insane. Too much to do at work and very little time to do much of anything else. Finally calming down so can get back to my build. With months to think about it, I found a few more parts along the way. I acquired two really nice Ofmega crank sets. One from a friend who was cleaning out his garage and another one that had Bianchi branding that I got off EBay. I think they look a little more vintage than the Chorus cranks that came on the bike. Of course, Ofmega has their own slightly different spindle so I had to get a new bottom bracket. Got the frame masked and primed. I am hoping to get some color on it tomorrow. Will post pics

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Looking forward to pics! Here's mine that I posted in this thread last year. I'd just gotten it and the frame was a little too big, so ended up selling that frame and finding another in a smaller size. Took a couple of months to get that squared away but worth the effort as it is an awesome bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still not much progress on the bike. Our plan was to make L'Eroica California this year but there were a few hiccups in our retirement plan we decided to push it off until next year. I have been working on the bars a bit. Doing mock ups. The original Campy brakes were aero Athena. I could have rerouted the cables to non aero and met the Eroica specification but I did not like the calipers. I had a set of Dia Compe levers and acquired some dia comp calipers. Didn't like these either. I just ordered set of Modolo Sporting levers and calipers. These are going to be the ticket. My wife thinks I am addicted to bike parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast