60's Cinelli SC on the road!

Sep 2004

60's Cinelli SC on the road!

This mid 60's Cinelli SC is up and running. This is a rare Reynolds 531db (special order)frame and has the oil holes on the top and bottom of the BB, no holes in the lugs. The 51cm frame is completely original without a spot of touch-up paint. Lots of nicks and scratches (patina?) but the decals and chrome are in really nice shape, and the headbadge is near perfect. I subscribe to the philosophy that a frame can be restored over and over, but it is only original once. All Campy, some period correct and some vintage upgrades, including NR brakes with a dropbolt at the rear. The Record front derailleur has the built-in housing stop. Old style Cinelli bars and nutted old-logo stem. The NR rear derailleur is pat. 70 and the crankset is 170 Strada. Used vintage Ideale Mod. 90 Professional saddle, 28-hole NR hubs with vintage Super Champion Record du Monde tubular rims. All parts are used, I tried to match the condition of the parts to the frame. It rides wonderfully quick without being twitchy. Although I raced and owned a bike shop in the late 70s-mid 80's, this is the first Cinelli SC that I have ridden out of only a handful that I have seen. I can't get very aerodymanic on the Cinelli, because my smile is so wide while I am on it that my cheeks must be flapping! I hope you enjoy the photos.

Kevin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Perfection.

Stunning. Hope you'll ride the piss out of it!

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Outstanding. A dreamboat.

RoadBikeReview Member

Sweet

Not only that, but in my size. How long have you had it and where did you find it? Nice job sticking to the original!

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Not only that, but in my size. How long have you had it and where did you find it? Nice job sticking to the original!
    Thanks! I got it as a frameset out of Wisconsin in September. It came with a Campy Record (chromed bronze) rear derailleur, original steel Record headset and the headset hanger for Universal centerpulls. I debated a long time whether to keep the original rear der. and find Univ. centerpulls to install, but I reasoned that if I had owned the Cinelli in the late 60's I would have upgraded the rear derailleur and brakes when the Nuovo Record components came out. So that's what I did. Most of the parts came from my LBS and eBay. It is now how I would have had it set up if I were its original owner. Except for the BB. These old Cinellis came with a 74mm BB and trying to find the correct Campy 74-SS-120 spindle now is nearly impossible. I installed an Italian threaded Sampson Ti BB that is dimensioned for a 73mm BB which seems to be a common size for mountain bikes. Since Sampson makes both cups adjustable, I was able to dial in perfect chain alignment.

The 28 spoke lightweight Record du Monde rims and tubulars really make the ride outstanding. Even though complete bike weighs in at 21.4 lbs. it accelerates like a modern racer due to the stiff frame and light wheels.

Kevin

Commuter
    SWEET! Nice build. The SC is one of my favorite frames. Been eyeing a new one from American Cyclery.
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

angel of the morning

my, my

That bike is indeed superb and I really enjoyed perousing over it's details. Thanks for posting. Beautiful set up and very much a keeper for life.

The color is sublime too !!!! May you ride it plenty.

ciao
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

http://instagram.com/ciclispirito

RoadBikeReview Member
    She's beautiful...