Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

85-ish Schwinn Peloton tubing?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cdhbrad 
#1 ·
Frame has remnants of Columbus stickers on seat tube and fork legs, but not enough to read details. Some have suggested SP down tube, SL everywhere else. Anyone have one, or a picture, or best, a catalog scan? (none @ bulgier).

This is (likely) a Panasonic-built frame, original solid red w/white graphics, chrome d/s chainstay.

thx,
Tom

#3 ·
cdhbrad said:
It was a mix of SL/SP, but I don't have any idea which tubing was use for specific parts of the frame. Good Luck.
Are you sure about that? Which Schwinns came with the low-end Columbus tubing? I forget the name right now, but someone once said it was supposed to be a seperate spec but they didn't get it built fast enough so they just rebadged any SP tubing that came off the line out of spec. as the cheaper tubing. I know Schwinn used some of this tubing in the 80s, but I forget which models had it. I'll research it and get back to you.

#4 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
Are you sure about that? Which Schwinns came with the low-end Columbus tubing? I forget the name right now, but someone once said it was supposed to be a seperate spec but they didn't get it built fast enough so they just rebadged any SP tubing that came off the line out of spec. as the cheaper tubing. I know Schwinn used some of this tubing in the 80s, but I forget which models had it. I'll research it and get back to you.
OK, here is the link:

http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=internet-bob.10404.2156.eml

I'm thinking of Columbus Tenax tubing, which came on the Schwinn Prelude in the mid-80s. The Peleton probably had the higher-grade tube set, as someone posted previously.

- FBB

#5 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
OK, here is the link:

http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=internet-bob.10404.2156.eml

I'm thinking of Columbus Tenax tubing, which came on the Schwinn Prelude in the mid-80s. The Peleton probably had the higher-grade tube set, as someone posted previously.

- FBB
The mid-80's Peloton was indeed made with SL/SP. My Peloton owner's manual describes the frame as a "mix of double-butted Columbus SL/SP in the frame tubes," while the fork was simply spec'd "Columbus," without the SL/SP moniker. I always took that to mean that the main triangle was SL/SP, with the SP (probably) in the down tube. The fork may be SL, but I assumed it was Tenax, or Schwinn's marketing folks would've trumpeted the "full SL/SP" frameset. As to the chainstays, Schwinn describes "frame tubes," but since they described the next few models down the line as being dbl-butted in the "main tubes," while the Peloton was dbl-butted in the "frame tubes," one would assume that Schwinn considers the chainstays as "frame tubes." BTW, the next few bikes in the Schwinn line from this period (i.,e., the Supersport, Tempo, Madison, and Prelude were all db-d Tenax in the main tubes only, with unspecified chrome-moly forks and stays). All of these models were machine-built, even the Peloton.

It's an excellent frameset, though, very durable, reasonably light (for the time), and it has the most incredible paint job; chrome-plating in the undercoat, and a very nice clearcoated black and white acrylic (?) color scheme.

#6 ·
One more note: my '85 catalog lists the Peloton as only available in the B&W, while the Supersport(one level down, or Schwinn's third-best road bike at the time, not to be confused with their earlier models of fillet-brazed Supersports) was only available in "scarlet w/black chrome" rear triangle. Schwinn may have offered more colors in other years, but that's what they offered in '85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.