Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Angry Angry Angry

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cjensen 
#1 ·
I am so PO'd at myself. I started to assemble my retro/modern Shogun today and screwed up the paint on the fork. I wrapped an old T-shirt around the legs a few times and then clamped it gently into a vice. I then went about the task of seating the race. After I had the race seated, I pulled the fork out of the vice to find that the paint was SCRAPED OFF of the legs for about an inch on both sides. This goes clear down to the bare metal. Now I will have to sand it down again, prime it again, and paint it again. I am just amazed that the paint came off this easily (it sure was hard as hell to strip the old paint). I did my surface prep, I applied three layers of primer, paint, and clear coat. Now it will be at least 10 more days before I can start to build this bike up again!

#4 ·
Thanks for offer

But, It probably would not match the white and blue paint scheme that I have on the fork. Fortunately, there is no physical damage to the fork. Not even a scratch in the metal. It's just that the paint came off. I will be hitting it with the 1st coat of primer this evening.

#7 ·
rw-

I also have a Shogun with the flat crown fork that I am currently restoring. Do you know, or does anyone know how long into the 80's that they made that fork? I am trying my best to determine the year it was made, and have not yet made any progress. I have sent the serial number to Shogun, but no response for over a week.

Thanks.

Chad

#8 ·
cjensen said:
rw-

I also have a Shogun with the flat crown fork that I am currently restoring. Do you know, or does anyone know how long into the 80's that they made that fork? I am trying my best to determine the year it was made, and have not yet made any progress. I have sent the serial number to Shogun, but no response for over a week.

Thanks.

Chad
What is the model name and any parts group? I might be able to help.

#9 ·
rwbadley said:
What is the model name and any parts group? I might be able to help.
It is a Prairie Breaker, but has only one original component left, the rear deraileur. It is a Suntour ARX. The brakes are cantilever. The frame was originally light electic blue with white decals originally. I am on the third rebuild of this frame, and I thought when I bought it back in '93, that the guy that sold it to me said it was an '88, but I cannot remember for sure.

Thanks for any info!!

cj

#10 ·
cjensen said:
It is a Prairie Breaker, but has only one original component left, the rear deraileur. It is a Suntour ARX. The brakes are cantilever. The frame was originally light electic blue with white decals originally. I am on the third rebuild of this frame, and I thought when I bought it back in '93, that the guy that sold it to me said it was an '88, but I cannot remember for sure.

Thanks for any info!!

cj
Sorry, the only info I have is on the road bike frames... this one sounds more mtb and I don't show it in the catalogue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.