Caliper size and fender compatibility
    vulture chow

Caliper size and fender compatibility

I am in the process of building a Milwaukee Bike Co single speed. I want to add wood fenders from Cody on eBay. He says I should use a 1 3/4" fender with the 32mm tires I'll be using (bike will be for winter night time training rides). The frame specs state "set-up for a long reach (47-57mm) brake in back."

I want the fender to run through the brake (no cutting). Should I use Tektro AG521 (47-57) or the new Tektro R556 calipers (55-73)? Anyone know? Since there is a slight overlap in reach between the two calipers, I'm not sure. I can't find specs on the width fender each brake will accommodate.

And, yes, I will replace the pads with Koolstop.

Thanks for your help.
    Co-dependent bike pimp

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Half an answer.

According to this QBP reference, R556 will accept fenders up to 37 mm wide

http://harriscyclery.net/itemlist.cfm?category=99

Unfortunately, there's no max fender width listed for the AG521. But from the look of the photos and the fact that the R556 spec sheet mentions fenders at all, I think the R556 has the larger fender clearance of the two brakes. However, 1 3/4" = 44.5 mm, so it looks as if there will be be interference even with the R556.

vulture chow
    Oh gosh, thanks. I was just doing some more research because I ran across a Redline SS with 30 mm tires, Planet Bike fenders and Tektro long reach brakes (confirmed here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/redline-925.html). The brakes look like the AG521 (the QR lever matches and it doesn't have the obviously long arms of the R556) and I measured the fender at 1 7/8" (47mm).

I'm guessing that there is a typo in the R556 description and they mean 37mm tire plus fender. A 37 mm fender wouldn't cover much. Of course a flat wood fender would sit higher in the brake arch, but I don't mind a bit of trimming. I just don't want to cut the fender into 2 pieces the way I've seen in some pictures. I've seen lots of references to using the AG521s with fenders but no specs.

As a matter of fact, I saw a set of Shimano A-600 calipers over a fender and it looked about the same size as the Tektros. Spacing was fine.

Thanks for digging out that bit of information.
    Co-dependent bike pimp

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I agree—that 37 mm specification seems very small. The problem with dimensions lacking a corresponding engineering drawing is that one never knows where exactly the specified dimension was measured.

I'm sure it'll all work out. Should you need it, perhaps you could lower the fender in the area of the brake arch a bit to gain more clearance and still have the fender curve exactly parallel to the tire. I can't ride a bike that has fenders not exactly following the curve of the tire . . .

RoadBikeReview Member

There are a lot of variables

Wim's points are all spot on. So much has to do with where the builder places the brake bridge and how you attach your mudguards in the caliper area, and if that height is adjustable. My brake bridge has a screw thread at the bottom so I can screw the mudguard onto the brake bridge rather than use the mudguard clamp which bridges onto the caliper bolt. Some of these mudguard clamps have a bit of adjustment as the hole for the caliper bolt is slotted.

In this case, I'm using a clamp. These are Shimano (A) BR-600 calipers. The mudguards are SKS Chrome-tec which are about 36mm at their widest. The reality with flat mudguards is that unless you have very tight clearances, the widest part of the mudguard will be lower than the narrowest part of the caliper arches.

I don't know how the calipers compare to the Tektro's but I think you will be fine. Mounting them properly always involves quite a bit of adjustment to get everything right but once on, you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by wim
    I agree—that 37 mm specification seems very small. The problem with dimensions lacking a corresponding engineering drawing is that one never knows where exactly the specified dimension was measured.

I'm sure it'll all work out. Should you need it, perhaps you could lower the fender in the area of the brake arch a bit to gain more clearance and still have the fender curve exactly parallel to the tire. I can't ride a bike that has fenders not exactly following the curve of the tire . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

vulture chow
    Thanks one and all. Since the fenders are wood I could also do a bit of trimming and re-sealing to fit the fenders. I just don't want to cut them as, yes, appearance is everything (and the curve will be matched, Wim).

Boneman, doesn't that bike need to be ridden?

You wouldn't know about nickel plating now, would you? I really want a silver threadless stem in 105 rise, 26 clamp. Thinking that I might eventually have a Salsa cromoto plated.

Yeah, this is turning into quite the project.
    Co-dependent bike pimp

RoadBikeReview Member

Good observation

Fixie is in the stationary trainer. That's a nice layer of Shanghai dust, about nine months worth and this in the ayi room (maid's room) off the the back terrace of the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Thanks one and all. Since the fenders are wood I could also do a bit of trimming and re-sealing to fit the fenders. I just don't want to cut them as, yes, appearance is everything (and the curve will be matched, Wim).

Boneman, doesn't that bike need to be ridden?

You wouldn't know about nickel plating now, would you? I really want a silver threadless stem in 105 rise, 26 clamp. Thinking that I might eventually have a Salsa cromoto plated.

Yeah, this is turning into quite the project.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time