Can anyone tell me what I have here. Tomassini Super Prestige with Mavic Group
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Can anyone tell me what I have here. Tomassini Super Prestige with Mavic Group

Twenty plus years agon I aquired this bike in a trade. It was a complete road racer at the time. I was at the beginnig of my ever evolving functional bike phase and learning to be a tubing snob. I recognized that Mavic stuff as rare so I broke the bike down and put stored the group. I then put on some Milan bars, a threadless adapter and a set of brakes that actually stopped. In addition I crammed the fattest tires I could on it, 28's, and it became the 737 of my fleet. An erranding/commuter built from Columbus SL and an Air Fork. Ahh the joys of early middle age.
    Cut to the present time and I am giving my flee the Maria Kondo. I am only keeping one bike that can not roll at least 32's and that is my fixie. My current plan is to break the bike down and sell the frame, fork and Mavic deraileurs, brakes, bottom bracket and headset. The bike also has a set of wheels that are Record mubs and Mavic Rims. with this package someone should be able to put together a pretty sweet ride. I am not sure what crankset was on there by I am pretty sure it was not the Mavic Star.
    Thoughts about the approach? Value (s)?

Thanks in advance for any inputIMG_2998.jpgIMG_3001.jpgIMG_2998.jpgIMG_3001.jpgIMG_3003.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, from what I can see, you have an incomplete set of some very worn (and very dirty) mid-range components from Mavic (which was a second-rung groupset provider at best) from about a generation ago. The downtube shifters look like they are in better shape than the rest of the assemblage, and might be worth $10 at a cycling flea market. The rest of the stuff together might be worth that, if you can find somebody who wants it.

If this stuff really came off a Tomassini Prestige, then somebody must've replaced the entire groupset. The groupsets on such high-end bikes back then would have a polished finish; this stuff is painted or anodized, and is obviously a lesser group.

Try listing the components separately on EBay; I've seen worse crap than this go for more money on occasion. If you are lucky, you might get $40 for everything, eventually. More likely, you'll be lucky to get $20 for it all.
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 08-15-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, from what I can see, you have an incomplete set of some very worn (and very dirty) mid-range components from Mavic (which was a second-rung groupset provider at best) from about a generation ago. The downtube shifters look like they are in better shape than the rest of the assemblage, and might be worth $10 at a cycling flea market. The rest of the stuff together might be worth that, if you can find somebody who wants it.

If this stuff really came off a Tomassini Prestige, then somebody must've replaced the entire groupset. The groupsets on such high-end bikes back then would have a polished finish; this stuff is painted or anodized, and is obviously a lesser group.

Try listing the components separately on EBay; I've seen worse crap than this go for more money on occasion. If you are lucky, you might get $40 for everything, eventually. More likely, you'll be lucky to get $20 for it all.
    Your mistaken about those down tube shifters, they'll easily bring what you claim the whole group is worth. Simplex Retrofriction shifters were often used to replace Campagnolo record shifters in their day, and are still sought out by many of those who are still using down tube shifters. I've got a set on a mid eighties Super Record equipped DeRosa since new, and another set just in case.

VeloBase.com - Component: Simplex SLJ (3rd type, S logo on band)

cheapest e-bay listing I found with a quick search. Prices go up, depending on shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplex-Gea....c100010.m2109
    Too old to ride plastic